• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] ENTP - Pressure Prompted Procrastinators and Crammers

ChnFoodieOC

MBTI Type
ENTP
Hey Fellow ENTPs, curious how you guys resolve any issues of being pressure prompted individuals.

Example being, I have midterms coming up, but I procrastinate like crazy.

I read that ENTPs are procrastinators and hoping to get some tips on how you guys deal with this part of your personality.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
I love complaining. I never notice when I complain though... but people around me tell me : ))
But I'm not a procrastinator...I complain.. I don't know.. for me these are 2 different things.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
Be more J, problem solved.

As to how to be more J, ask the ENTJs in this forum. They will tell you how great it is to be one.

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Be more J, problem solved.

As to how to be more J, ask the ENTJs in this forum. They will tell you how great it is to be one.

Look what I had for breakfast!

eatcloud.jpg

lets eat pie

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w6
I'm not an ENTP but I can procrastinate just as well. I've gotten better, though. For the most part, just forcing yourself to start is the hardest. After that, good old fear (of failure/imcompetance) usually keeps me going.

With tests I find it helpful to study during any sort of downtime I might get; such as while waiting for class to start or while eating lunch. If you're standing around bored wondering whether there's something better to do, then that's the time to pull out notes and study. You may only end up remembering bits of information at a time, but every little bit you've studied already is information you don't have to go over in detail later.

Studying in intervals will help keep you refreshed. When you find yourself nodding off, take a short break. Studying while half asleep is not effective at all. Do something unrelated to the subject, preferably something fun: read blogs, play a video game, make a sandwich, etc. Keep the momentum going.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I embrace my pressure promptedness and leave things till the last minute safe in the knowledge that when I have to do it, I will =/

Any other approach is temporary and generally takes hella enthusiasm or lack of distractions.

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Studying in intervals will help keep you refreshed. When you find yourself nodding off, take a short break. Studying while half asleep is not effective at all. Do something unrelated to the subject, preferably something fun: read blogs, play a video game, make a sandwich, etc. Keep the momentum going.

maybe eat a piece of pie?

strawberries

shadow boxer
MBTI Type
----
you need to turn that frown upside down - doing things in the scarce minutes prior to a deadline is efficient. it means you don't spend any more time doing it than is absolutely necessary and it leaves you more time to do fun stuff, which is good for your mental health.

ChnFoodieOC

MBTI Type
ENTP
you need to turn that frown upside down - doing things in the scarce minutes prior to a deadline is efficient. it means you don't spend any more time doing it than is absolutely necessary and it leaves you more time to do fun stuff, which is good for your mental health.

LOL. That's how I'd like to see it, but now I'm stressing.

fill

"Everything in its place"
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I have to find motivation to get things done early. The one thing that can get me motivated pretty quickly is when someone depends on me to get something done in a certain time period. For this reason I get things done at work effectively, but I struggle to focus on school often. In the future I expect this habit will dissolve and the skill to become natural, but for now it takes a ton of self-manipulation and jumping through logical hoops to finally get myself to work on some things.

And, yes, I do work quite a bit under pressure.

Oh, and here's a quote that's been able to get me off of my ass a few times:

“If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?”
-John Wooden

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
5 hour energy shots and coffee used to do the trick, but now I'm an old fart, and can't pull 3 consecutive all night cram sessions like I used to.

So now I have to try and do my work not 5 hours before it's due. I'll try a day before...depending on what it is. It's tough, but I agree with the taking several breaks...but make sure you're not taking too many to entirely distract you and have you forget that you have something due :D

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I start of strong and if I can keep the continuous flow of ideas going I can get a paper a five page paper out in about two hours... This is if I can keep the thoughts constant, but once there is a kink in the flow I fall, and I fall fast.

redsox44344

MBTI Type
ENTP
What I usually do is to set a time an hour before I actually need to start, and just tell myself over and over again I will start at that time. Make myself believe I have to start then or else I won't have enough time too, and label out the consequences of not starting at that time. After that I get antsy if I don't start, so then I start and get it all over with about 5-10 minutes later then the set time. You could do that, or you could just plan something in your schedule that you don't like even more and doing the thing that you were originally procrastinating becomes easy.

StrawMan

MBTI Type
ENTP
For me, the most helpful thing with studying was just to force myself to get started. When I was looking at the stuff I had to study, it was just sometimes so boring that you almost want to cry. But when you force yourself to open the books or start doing the exercises, you often find something to keep you interested, something to ponder on. And if it's something that's so boring that you feel like all your life force is escaping your body, you just force yourself to start again until you have feeling that you've done enough for the day.
Getting started is the worst part, there is just so many distractions.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Man you all have problems... I cant have enough work :D Some people say germans only live to work but I've to disagree, I live to drink beer too :D.

Jokes aside, I think one of the most important things to be succesful at your work is you need to love it. When I am working on engineering projects, I can loose all track of time and space until I just fall asleep. I personally cant understand when people tell me they are bored, cause I think 24 hours isnt enough a day. Of course you got moments of depression sometimes, when you cant work like a machine, but if you dont set for yourself to high standards like working on sth like a machine, you can cope with those moments and just do nothing and be still happy.

One big mistake for me, I figured is doing things last minute. I figuered the longer I dont do a thing, the more it starts bugging me and makes me unhappy. So I developed the trick for me to try to keep an emotional freedom by getting rid of mundane tasks or unwanted work as quickly as possible. And it's basically me who decides if I will do this or that now or not. If my boss tells me, I have to complete that paper till midday, I'll tell him that I'll try and if I have a bad day that day, I have no probvlems with telling my boss later: I didnt manage to complete it till midday. That will most probably result in me being fired one day, but this attitude is mandatory to keep your personal distance to your work and emotional freedom.

I find it more important to keep my personal good health than to complete impossible deadlines in time and there I'll always try to manage work the best way possible to do it the less stressful way.

Maybe that's a thing making me more J.

Nescio

MBTI Type
ENTP
I usually drink sugar.

Also I set a time limit to push myself. like the exact minute It's due. Nothing like pressure as a motivator.... or at least I used to do that.

I just don't like to procrastinate anymore. A well placed reminder should help with that.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hey Fellow ENTPs, curious how you guys resolve any issues of being pressure prompted individuals.

Example being, I have midterms coming up, but I procrastinate like crazy.

I read that ENTPs are procrastinators and hoping to get some tips on how you guys deal with this part of your personality.

Asking us isn't going to do you much good. We're procrastinators. Go drag that despicable TIME MANAGEMENT shit over to the SJ forum. :steam:

Ok, ok. I wait ON PURPOSE until the very last minute when I'm fueled by adrenaline, caffeine, Ritalin and ANXIETY. The combo is like legalized SPEEEED, and it helps to crank "The William Tell Overture" and just wipe all the duties out literally minutes before it HAS to be done.

Though this doesn't help the procrastination...it just encourages it. :smile: But hey, you get stuff done regardless. I have to give myself a time pressure, or I'm a snail and take longer than necessary to do something.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I'm extremely obstinate when people try to make me rush. I'll do it at the pace that I find fitting!

Qre:us

For me, the most helpful thing with studying was just to force myself to get started.

Yes. It's about starting the momentum, as once the momentum is started, it's pretty flowing. The starting is the bitch!