User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I have to find motivation to get things done early. The one thing that can get me motivated pretty quickly is when someone depends on me to get something done in a certain time period. For this reason I get things done at work effectively, but I struggle to focus on school often. In the future I expect this habit will dissolve and the skill to become natural, but for now it takes a ton of self-manipulation and jumping through logical hoops to finally get myself to work on some things.

And, yes, I do work quite a bit under pressure.

Oh, and here's a quote that's been able to get me off of my ass a few times:

“If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?”
    -John Wooden
    "Poor bastard. Wait 'till he sees the bats. "
    enneagram - 7/5/3

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

5 hour energy shots and coffee used to do the trick, but now I'm an old fart, and can't pull 3 consecutive all night cram sessions like I used to.

So now I have to try and do my work not 5 hours before it's due. I'll try a day before...depending on what it is. It's tough, but I agree with the taking several breaks...but make sure you're not taking too many to entirely distract you and have you forget that you have something due

ReflecTcelfeR

I start of strong and if I can keep the continuous flow of ideas going I can get a paper a five page paper out in about two hours... This is if I can keep the thoughts constant, but once there is a kink in the flow I fall, and I fall fast.

MBTI
    ENTP

What I usually do is to set a time an hour before I actually need to start, and just tell myself over and over again I will start at that time. Make myself believe I have to start then or else I won't have enough time too, and label out the consequences of not starting at that time. After that I get antsy if I don't start, so then I start and get it all over with about 5-10 minutes later then the set time. You could do that, or you could just plan something in your schedule that you don't like even more and doing the thing that you were originally procrastinating becomes easy.
    If you were to shoot a mime, would you use a silencer?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ILE

For me, the most helpful thing with studying was just to force myself to get started. When I was looking at the stuff I had to study, it was just sometimes so boring that you almost want to cry. But when you force yourself to open the books or start doing the exercises, you often find something to keep you interested, something to ponder on. And if it's something that's so boring that you feel like all your life force is escaping your body, you just force yourself to start again until you have feeling that you've done enough for the day.
    Getting started is the worst part, there is just so many distractions.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Man you all have problems... I cant have enough work Some people say germans only live to work but I've to disagree, I live to drink beer too .

Jokes aside, I think one of the most important things to be succesful at your work is you need to love it. When I am working on engineering projects, I can loose all track of time and space until I just fall asleep. I personally cant understand when people tell me they are bored, cause I think 24 hours isnt enough a day. Of course you got moments of depression sometimes, when you cant work like a machine, but if you dont set for yourself to high standards like working on sth like a machine, you can cope with those moments and just do nothing and be still happy.

One big mistake for me, I figured is doing things last minute. I figuered the longer I dont do a thing, the more it starts bugging me and makes me unhappy. So I developed the trick for me to try to keep an emotional freedom by getting rid of mundane tasks or unwanted work as quickly as possible. And it's basically me who decides if I will do this or that now or not. If my boss tells me, I have to complete that paper till midday, I'll tell him that I'll try and if I have a bad day that day, I have no probvlems with telling my boss later: I didnt manage to complete it till midday. That will most probably result in me being fired one day, but this attitude is mandatory to keep your personal distance to your work and emotional freedom.

I find it more important to keep my personal good health than to complete impossible deadlines in time and there I'll always try to manage work the best way possible to do it the less stressful way.

Maybe that's a thing making me more J.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ENTP

I usually drink sugar.

Also I set a time limit to push myself. like the exact minute It's due. Nothing like pressure as a motivator.... or at least I used to do that.

I just don't like to procrastinate anymore. A well placed reminder should help with that.

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by ChnFoodieOC View Post
    Hey Fellow ENTPs, curious how you guys resolve any issues of being pressure prompted individuals.

Example being, I have midterms coming up, but I procrastinate like crazy.

I read that ENTPs are procrastinators and hoping to get some tips on how you guys deal with this part of your personality.
    Asking us isn't going to do you much good. We're procrastinators. Go drag that despicable TIME MANAGEMENT shit over to the SJ forum. :steam:

Ok, ok. I wait ON PURPOSE until the very last minute when I'm fueled by adrenaline, caffeine, Ritalin and ANXIETY. The combo is like legalized SPEEEED, and it helps to crank "The William Tell Overture" and just wipe all the duties out literally minutes before it HAS to be done.

Though this doesn't help the procrastination...it just encourages it. But hey, you get stuff done regardless. I have to give myself a time pressure, or I'm a snail and take longer than necessary to do something.
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

ReflecTcelfeR

I'm extremely obstinate when people try to make me rush. I'll do it at the pace that I find fitting!

Quote Originally Posted by StrawMan View Post
    For me, the most helpful thing with studying was just to force myself to get started.
    Yes. It's about starting the momentum, as once the momentum is started, it's pretty flowing. The starting is the bitch!