123 Last

Thread: Is it genetic?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTp

Default Is it genetic?

I'm an INTJ from a family people who are almost all NT's of some kind. Another user told me that he's basically in the same boat. Is this typical? Is personality determined by DNA? You know, 'cause if it is, I'm going to rub it in the face of everyone that believes in Tabula Rasa (kidding! Seriously though, what's the deal?).
    Forgive my typos. Sometimes my fingers get ahead of my brain.

MBTI
    ENTP

I though of this...but since I can't just examine a bunch of people and their family tree ..I can't really say...but it may be possible.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Type is exactly 31.3256232% genetic. OK, I admit I just made that up. I think it's a mix of both nature and nurture. In a family unit one will tend to reinforce the other. Genetics predisposed them to be of a particular type (or types) then the existance of people of that type creates an atmosphere that incourages children to adopt a similar type.

Of course, it's not absolute. I'm the only INTJ in my immediate family. The majority are SPs. Still, I AM an Se user, even if it is in the inferior position.
    Don't make whine out of sour grapes.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Well, I'm and ENFP and there are no other NF's in my family as far as I can tell. Lots of STs, and a couple NTs and SFs. I think we may pass down traits, but not type.

I'm ENFP, my husband is ESTP and our son is ESFJ. I think it's interesting (and annoying as hell at times) that we are all Es, we all share one thing with each other, and we all have something different.
    http://bohemianextrovert.wordpress.com/
    Please excuse the long drawn out ramble above.
    I have to hear what I've said before I know what I think.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

ReflecTcelfeR

I talked about genetics with my father yesturday and I do believe it's mostly nurture. I have two parents who are opposites. My mom is an ISFJ and my father an ISTP... due to the nature of living with them almost equally (they got divorced when I was young) I have an equally balanced view on the world. I have seen both sides of the coin and then due to my own life the only function that I believe is definitive is my N due to the lack of real world experience as well as video games and such. This is how I come to see how I came to be. The only difference now is I'm living with my father more so I'm getting a better grip on my P-ness (ha!) and T as well. At an earlier age I had lived with my mom which affected my F-ness and J-ness.

MBTI
    N>JI

N are a wide bulk of my family and INTP are quite common .. from my perspective, I don't think my family ever built a proper N or NT without innate attributes. IMO If they have a choice, children choose their influences and develop what they find naturally easy to be.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

I don't think it's genetic. None of my close family NT's except for one grandparent and 1 or 2 out of 14 cousins, and 1 out of 4 uncles and aunts. Usually when these threads are made, no correlation is shown.

perhaps in the case of the OP you were raised in a way that encouraged you to develop as an NT?
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    I don't think it's genetic. None of my close family NT's except for one grandparent and 1 or 2 out of 14 cousins, and 1 out of 4 uncles and aunts. Usually when these threads are made, no correlation is shown.

perhaps in the case of the OP you were raised in a way that encouraged you to develop as an NT?
    I suppose that's quite likely. My parents divorced when I was young and I raised mostly by my INT mother, thought I still had regular contact with my ENTJ father. Both of these people value intellect a lot more than emotion (thus, they are a teacher and an engineer respectively). I guess my family puts a pretty big emphasis on using reason instead of emotion when making decisions.
    Forgive my typos. Sometimes my fingers get ahead of my brain.

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

I got my Ne from my ISTJ dad, who has a hidden stash of it and I got my secondary Fi from my ISFP mom, who is a Fi-bomb. Mystery solved.
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

How are you typing your family members? Maybe there are other types that are just acting like NTs because that is the family culture and they don't know any other way to be.

MBTI is about natural inclination, there are a lot of reasons why someone would hide their natural inclinations (just look at homosexuality).
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations