User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Is it genetic?

MBTI
    INFJ

I don't know. My family is full of xNFPs, ISxJs, a long with a few SPs. Maybe it is genetic but I don't think so. I'm the only NJ. However, my mom is an ESFJ and my dad is an INFP so maybe I double dipped and just took letters from both?
    Stupid as a man, say the women: cowardly as a woman, say the men. Stupidity in a woman is unwomanly.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Dogs never bite me. Just humans.
    Marilyn Monroe

The tongue like a sharp knife... Kills without drawing blood.
    Buddha

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    MBTI is about natural inclination
    Where does it say this? :s

I'd imagine it's pretty hard to prove any "pure" personality which exists underneath all the social conditioning. A personality itself is something which develops in response to environment.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

My family:

Mother - INFJ
    Father - ENTP

Older brother - ENTP (even looks exactly like my father minus 25 years)

Older sister - XXXX (Bipolar Disorder, so i'm not even gonna try. Sometimes some sort of ISFP, sometimes some sort of ENTJ). She's very nice and all, but extreme.

Me - INTJ

Younger sister - INTJ

Both of my parents value emotion and logic, not just either, and that's how they taught the rest of us.
    I'd say that they're both close to the T/F divide. And that's how most of us turned out as well.
    For instance, Fe isn't supposed to be one of my strong points, but it is in fact just as strong as my Te function in terms of how well-developed it is.
    That says nothing about my preference to use it instead of Te, though.

I do believe that some traits are inherited. Most of us kids share a strange neurological thing called synesthesia.
    My father and my big sister are the only ones who don't have it.
    Mother, my older brother, me and my little sister all associate numbers, feelings, words, people and sound with colors.

I know that the brain isn't some ethereal heavenly thing that just occurs.
    It's made out of flesh and blood, sort of a biological computer.
    If you combine your parents inherent traits, you get a result.

I do believe that these results can be swayed to some degree with nurturing, but the apple usually falls within a few meters of the tree when it comes to personality.
    For instance, I hardly ever met my paternal grandfather. Yet I look like him, sound like him, say things that he did, do gestures that he used etc.
    We even share a couple of hobbies.
    I have two memories of the guy. One where he serves me some strawberry ice cream and one from grandma's funeral, where he cried and I remember feeling sorry for him.
    Grandpa was an INTJ as well.
    I don't remember grandma much at all and dad doesn't talk much about her.

I do think my maternal grandfather was something like an INTJ as well. He and my older brother were and are, respectively, my closest family relationships in a way.
    He was a bit harder to type, though. He was very introverted in that Zen way, almost.
    Very kind and knowledgeable, but not very outwards with it all.
    My maternal grandmother is some sort of hyperactive ExFJ. Definite Fe-dominant, though.

My uncle (mother's brother) is a definite INTP nerd. He designed a working engine at 15 and he wrote the system that controls most swedish hydro power dams when he was about 30 (I think), among other things.
    His wife is an ESFJ, and my cousins are INTP and ESFJ. Both guys. Boy, do they fight...

To a large extent, I think it's genetical. This is just personal stuff, but I see it everywhere.
    If we inherited diseases, pigments, voice, behaviors from dead relatives...
    Isn't it then possible that we also inherit the basics on what makes us what we are?

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    ENTP

My mother is INFP/ISFP/INFJ/ISFJ (I can't actually decide which)...and my father may have been an NT ..though I've never known him. But he was an N for sure. And since T is more likely in males...NT.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Ignazio View Post
    I'm an INTJ from a family people who are almost all NT's of some kind. Another user told me that he's basically in the same boat. Is this typical? Is personality determined by DNA? You know, 'cause if it is, I'm going to rub it in the face of everyone that believes in Tabula Rasa (kidding! Seriously though, what's the deal?).
    No. If you're an NT raised by NTs that could have just as much impact on Tabula Rasa as genetics, see? Not only are your genes supposedly NT but your environment as well.

Environment is a large determining factor in personality development. I think that our personalities are part nature, part nuture.

In fact, I think who I am speaks loudly for nurture over nature, without going into personal details.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    My family:
    my cousins are INTP and ESFJ. Both guys. Boy, do they fight...
    I can't imagine not fighting with an ESF.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post

I'd imagine it's pretty hard to prove any "pure" personality which exists underneath all the social conditioning. A personality itself is something which develops in response to environment.
    "Since, in the light of these facts, the attitude-type regarded as a general phenomenon having an apparent random distribution, can be no affair of conscious judgment or intention, its existence must be due to some unconscious instinctive cause. The contrast of types, therefore, as a, universal psychological. phenomenon, must in some way or other have its biological precursor.

Although nothing would induce me to underestimate the well-nigh incalculable importance of parental influence, this experience compels me to conclude that the decisive factor must be looked for in the disposition of the child. The fact that, in spite of the greatest possible similarity of external conditions, one child will assume this type while another that, must, of course, in the last resort he ascribed to individual disposition.

Under abnormal conditions, i.e. when there is an extreme and, therefore, abnormal attitude in the mother, the children can also be coerced into a relatively similar attitude; but this entails a violation of their individual disposition, which quite possibly would have assumed another type if no abnormal and disturbing external influence had intervened. As a rule, whenever such a falsification of type takes place as a result of external [p. 416] influence, the individual becomes neurotic later, and a cur can successfully be sought only in a development of that attitude which corresponds with the individual's natural way.

-Jung

I assume MBTI follows on from that.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    ENTP

Neurosis never ceases to fascinate me.

ReflecTcelfeR

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post

It is absolutely unavoidable. The development your mind goes through as you grow up coupled directly with those you interact with while you are growing up seems to be where the answer of why people think the way they do.

MBTI
    INTP

I don't know, but I do have an INTP uncle and cousin. Seems kinda weird to have three of us in a couple of generations, given the rarity of the type.
    Something Witty