• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] Christopher Nolan- INTJ.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I went to the midnight showing of Inception last night. I had an epiphany, something that I couldn't deny this time. I was thinking about the description that INTJ's are given in terms of Myer-Briggs. The Scientist. I took this profession and analyzed it with the functions and I think this is an apt description. I think however that another great description for this thinking process is a Director. The director has an idea Ni, he then manipulates the environment around him to create the idea, Te. He takes the end result and decides to himself whether what he created was good, Fi, and if so then he allows it to go through the editing process ( I avoided Se because I'm not sure exactly how it applies). Inception is a great movie, and Christopher Nolan is one hell of a director.

After these thoughts I began thinking about the thinking processes that create the INTJ and how unlike some of the other functions this combination is very processed. Some functions like that of the INTP work simultaneously, while the INTJ is very, very orderly. Going from the first function then too the second. This is easily represented by the jobs recommended to you by having this function. I then came to a truth.

I was watching Inception. After the movie I had begun to analyze how I watched the movie. I analyzed like an INTJ would, I tried to absorb the idea of the movie and then watched the surroundings in order to adjust my immediate reaction to how the movie would end. As new people, concepts and objects were added, or shown I adjusted my idea. I found that half of the aspect of being INTJ is not too come up with your own idea and then use your surroundings create it, but too try and sync your idea into someone elses idea and see how they manipulate the surroundings in order to determine how they achieved the ending they did before it occurs. I found that I wasn't too far off with the very end of the movie. I was pretty tired so I couldn't scrutinize as well as I think I would have normally. I say all of this too tell you the epiphany, or release from denial. I am an INTJ. I tried denying it, but this occurrence with the movies is not only where I use the mentality, though I do this movies the most often.

Thanks for listening.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Have you ever watched him in an interview?

He is not intense or dominating, he's laid-back and open and flexy. He creates a movie with rational internal structure so all the questions that might be asked are answered. IOW, no quirky stuff, really -- it all make sense, much more than any other director I've seen. It's got inherent rational structure to it. His first real move (Memento) was definitely an exploration of structure.

Compare that to an NJ type like Stanley Kubrick, where sometimes the vision becomes surreal in nature and more out to reflect the internal world of the director rather than letting the movie dictate itself by standard, derivable rules of rationality.

What does that sound like?

R

ReflecTcelfeR

That does make him seem more INTPish. Perhaps it's the all encompassing directing style that Nolan has that allowed me to use these (INTJ) functions to analyze his movies? What are some of Kubrick's movies I'm not that could with directors names in association with movies?

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
He is my favorite director all-time.

His movies are simply brilliant.

Can't wait to see Inception, 13 more days : D.

I thought Nolan is ENTP, his movies seem ENTPish. Then again if his movies are ENTPish that doesn't necessarily mean he is ENTP.

Sometimes I honestly think MBTI is not enough to define some people.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I thought Nolan is ENTP, his movies seem ENTPish. Then again if his movies are ENTPish that doesn't necessarily mean he is ENTP.

Really? I mean, they're big and actiony and stuff to be sure (which isn't necessarily E), but character-wise and really theme-wise, I always felt he shied away from Es. I can't think of a single extrovert main protagonist in a Nolan film (though it's been a while since I've seen Prestige). Almost invariably, they start out alone, become more alone (love interests simply do not have good prospects in Nolan films) and then totally accept loneliness, missing what was but uninterested in replacing it. In almost every movie, giving too much to another person or putting too much faith in them leads to disappointment. Most have one semi-distant friend (if they have any at all) and don't seem to care to make new ones. Similarly, the general ideas and plot lines are generally sort of I. Hell, Inception takes place almost entirely in dreams and the subconscious. It's not even remotely interested in external reality in any way, despite being chalk full of mayhem and explosions.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
My favorite movie director of all time. I would agree he's probably INTJ. Can't wait for Inception to arrive here, next Thursday.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

My favorite movie director of all time. I would agree he's probably INTJ. Can't wait for Inception to arrive here, next Thursday.

I've seen it twice already. I loved every second! You'll have to give me your opinion afterwards.

redsox44344

MBTI Type
ENTP
I quite liked Inception, though memento is still my personal favorite of his.

I thought he was similar to ENTP or INTP. It depends, really. Just because you are E does not mean that you don't have to feel alone and get more alone. It could just be a replica of his inner persona, for he may like and get energized by meeting people and what not, but does not connect with any of them, causing him to be alone internally.

Killjoy

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I'd say INTP.

His dialogue isn't snappy enough nor his style 'hip' enough for ENTP.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Whatever he is, he's a genius. Just saw Inception for the first time. Even if you don't like the movie you gotta admire the mind behind such a thing.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Have you ever watched him in an interview?

He is not intense or dominating, he's laid-back and open and flexy. He creates a movie with rational internal structure so all the questions that might be asked are answered. IOW, no quirky stuff, really -- it all make sense, much more than any other director I've seen. It's got inherent rational structure to it. His first real move (Memento) was definitely an exploration of structure.

Compare that to an NJ type like Stanley Kubrick, where sometimes the vision becomes surreal in nature and more out to reflect the internal world of the director rather than letting the movie dictate itself by standard, derivable rules of rationality.

What does that sound like?

Precisely.

That's also why Kubrick is so much better. :newwink:

That does make him seem more INTPish. Perhaps it's the all encompassing directing style that Nolan has that allowed me to use these (INTJ) functions to analyze his movies? What are some of Kubrick's movies I'm not that could with directors names in association with movies?

I think directing is actually a very NJ kinda enterprise.

Kubrick did "2001: A Space Odyssey", "The Shining", "A Clockwork Orange", "Full Metal Jacket", "Dr. Strangelove", "Eyes Wide Shut", et al.

Whatever he is, he's a genius. Just saw Inception for the first time. Even if you don't like the movie you gotta admire the mind behind such a thing.

I respect his mind; the film was very creative.

But, like some of his others, he totally fails on the pathos element of art.

As you would expect from an INTP director: the film seemed emotionally stunted.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
I'm amused

I read the first three posts and then ignored the rest when writing this reply.

INTJ says director is INTJ
INTP says director is INTP
ENTP says director is ENTP.

I say the director is popular.

He's probably ISFP or something :p

R

ReflecTcelfeR

From recalling me watching the movie I would say that throughout the movie I did feel detached. The acting wasn't bad, but everything was just bland. Nothing in the surroundings really felt there, which makes sense, since most of it took place in dreams. I will say that he is doing better with the Batman series than anything else I've seen of his. I wouldn't even say this ranks up in the top, but he took a creative concept and did what he does. I will say that he knows how to weave complex plots. Very INTPish thing to do, I must agree with that. Then what about saying: This movie was very INTP-ish. As he made this move, most likely unknowingly, for a more INTx/P crowd. I will admit I based my typing on one movie.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
From recalling me watching the movie I would say that throughout the movie I did feel detached. The acting wasn't bad, but everything was just bland. Nothing in the surroundings really felt there, which makes sense, since most of it took place in dreams.

Very similar to how I feel about INTPs, in general... :newwink:

I will say that he is doing better with the Batman series than anything else I've seen of his.

Unfortunately, I'm a huge Batman fan, so I've been a little letdown by his direction.

Batman Begins was good in many ways, but had two unforgettable flaws: 1) Batman's voice, and 2) the out-of-nowhere, completely undeveloped romantic angle with Katie Holmes (shit just came outta nowhere at the end).

The latter makes me surmise that he has the emotional unawareness/retardation you see in many an INTP.

Compare his direction with someone like Ridley Scott (type suggestions anyone? Silly and I think NTJ), who knows just how to pull at the emotional heart strings...

With The Dark Knight, he seemed to lose all sense of storytelling and pacing by choosing to include that ending narrative about TwoFace. Should've just let that angle continue on into another movie... I'm not one to complain about long films or long plane flights (in fact, people doing so is a major pet peeve of mine), but shit dragged on at the end, and was completely unnecessary.

Nolan should hire me to make his films better. :cheese:

I wouldn't even say this ranks up in the top, but he took a creative concept and did what he does. I will say that he knows how to weave complex plots. Very INTPish thing to do, I must agree with that.

:yes:

Then what about saying: This movie was very INTP-ish.

This is exactly what Silly and I said to each other coming out of the theatre.

As he made this move, most likely unknowingly, for a more INTx/P crowd.

Ummm, I wouldn't go that far.

I'd say it's obvious that it was made by an INTP, but I wouldn't say it was made for INTPs (or INTJs).

I know an ENFJ who says it is her favorite movie.

I will admit I based my typing on one movie.

Well, if it's any consolation, as I said before, I think you were right in finding directing (in general) to be a very NTJ thing to do.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Batman's new voice will forever be ridiculed by me and my friends. I make fun of it constantly, it was too much. I love long movies and I thought it disconcerning that they killed TwoFace off, though I have my own thoughts on that. I didn't so much mind the love interest, as much as who they picked to play the replacement for the second movie. First of all the person switch kind of brought me out of it because it seemed like he first like one women and (Even though it was the same character) it gave the feel that he changed his mind. I'd say they were just trying to give TwoFace more of a reason to be pissed and give Batman a reason to bitter and sad. Though, I'm pretty sure they're going to have to find a new direction for the third one as I believe they planned to use The Joker in the next one, or that was what I got from it, but we're moving on to the riddler.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
The latter makes me surmise that he has the emotional unawareness/retardation you see in many an INTP.

Compare his direction with someone like Ridley Scott (type suggestions anyone? Silly and I think NTJ), who knows just how to pull at the emotional heart strings...

According to the directors list in the PC and type board, he's INTP. :D

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
Fucking hell! I hate these emoticons! Can't portray emotion for shit!

Excuse my language.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Oh, you are KIDDING me, right?

One of Scott's most obvious strengths as a director is that he is "clean" -- he typically doesn't over-indulge in emotionality. (Just think about what a movie like Thelma and Louise might have been like in the hands of a more emotive/manipulative director.) I think Gladiator was the most where I've ever seen him go for emotive... but even then it was mainly through shoving us into Maximus' eyes and showing us the love he had for his family, coupled with the score. He typically prefers to show, not tell; and he tends to shy away from musical scores that would manipulate the audience... at least until the last few years (I haven't watched his most recent movies).

He reminds me a lot of Michael Mann, although Mann is even more severe -- he lets the characters/actors tell the story and doesn't tell you how you're supposed to feel.

Personally, I think they are both ST's.

With The Dark Knight, he seemed to lose all sense of storytelling and pacing by choosing to include that ending narrative about TwoFace. Should've just let that angle continue on into another movie... I'm not one to complain about long films or long plane flights (in fact, people doing so is a major pet peeve of mine), but shit dragged on at the end, and was completely unnecessary.

Nolan should hire me to make his films better. :cheese:

I guess that's the difference between those who actually make movie and those who critique them on obscure Internet forums... Opinions from us are a dime a dozen, but those guys are doing the work.

Unfortunately, I'm a huge Batman fan, so I've been a little letdown by his direction.

Dare I ask which Batman movies you actually thought were better? (Even the first one by Burton was at best marginal by conventional standards; and the quality certainly did not improve as time passed.)

Fucking hell! I hate these emoticons! Can't portray emotion for shit!
Excuse my language.

More emotes, less language!!!

INTJ says director is INTJ
INTP says director is INTP
ENTP says director is ENTP.

Your theory, while conventionally cute, only makes sense if I'd think every director I like is an INTP.
Which certainly is not even close to the truth.

I'm even having trouble thinking of another INTP director right now -- most INTPs hate using directive skills, and being a movie director means a lot of interaction with other people, and overseeing of processes. You have to really develop a variety of skills most INTPs don't bother with until much later in life, to be a decent director... or know how to hire the right staff.