User Tag List

123 Last

ReflecTcelfeR

Default Christopher Nolan- INTJ.

I went to the midnight showing of Inception last night. I had an epiphany, something that I couldn't deny this time. I was thinking about the description that INTJ's are given in terms of Myer-Briggs. The Scientist. I took this profession and analyzed it with the functions and I think this is an apt description. I think however that another great description for this thinking process is a Director. The director has an idea Ni, he then manipulates the environment around him to create the idea, Te. He takes the end result and decides to himself whether what he created was good, Fi, and if so then he allows it to go through the editing process ( I avoided Se because I'm not sure exactly how it applies). Inception is a great movie, and Christopher Nolan is one hell of a director.

After these thoughts I began thinking about the thinking processes that create the INTJ and how unlike some of the other functions this combination is very processed. Some functions like that of the INTP work simultaneously, while the INTJ is very, very orderly. Going from the first function then too the second. This is easily represented by the jobs recommended to you by having this function. I then came to a truth.

I was watching Inception. After the movie I had begun to analyze how I watched the movie. I analyzed like an INTJ would, I tried to absorb the idea of the movie and then watched the surroundings in order to adjust my immediate reaction to how the movie would end. As new people, concepts and objects were added, or shown I adjusted my idea. I found that half of the aspect of being INTJ is not too come up with your own idea and then use your surroundings create it, but too try and sync your idea into someone elses idea and see how they manipulate the surroundings in order to determine how they achieved the ending they did before it occurs. I found that I wasn't too far off with the very end of the movie. I was pretty tired so I couldn't scrutinize as well as I think I would have normally. I say all of this too tell you the epiphany, or release from denial. I am an INTJ. I tried denying it, but this occurrence with the movies is not only where I use the mentality, though I do this movies the most often.

Thanks for listening.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Have you ever watched him in an interview?

He is not intense or dominating, he's laid-back and open and flexy. He creates a movie with rational internal structure so all the questions that might be asked are answered. IOW, no quirky stuff, really -- it all make sense, much more than any other director I've seen. It's got inherent rational structure to it. His first real move (Memento) was definitely an exploration of structure.

Compare that to an NJ type like Stanley Kubrick, where sometimes the vision becomes surreal in nature and more out to reflect the internal world of the director rather than letting the movie dictate itself by standard, derivable rules of rationality.

What does that sound like?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

ReflecTcelfeR

That does make him seem more INTPish. Perhaps it's the all encompassing directing style that Nolan has that allowed me to use these (INTJ) functions to analyze his movies? What are some of Kubrick's movies I'm not that could with directors names in association with movies?

MBTI
    ENTP

He is my favorite director all-time.

His movies are simply brilliant.

Can't wait to see Inception, 13 more days : D.

I thought Nolan is ENTP, his movies seem ENTPish. Then again if his movies are ENTPish that doesn't necessarily mean he is ENTP.

Sometimes I honestly think MBTI is not enough to define some people.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by guesswho View Post
    I thought Nolan is ENTP, his movies seem ENTPish. Then again if his movies are ENTPish that doesn't necessarily mean he is ENTP.
    Really? I mean, they're big and actiony and stuff to be sure (which isn't necessarily E), but character-wise and really theme-wise, I always felt he shied away from Es. I can't think of a single extrovert main protagonist in a Nolan film (though it's been a while since I've seen Prestige). Almost invariably, they start out alone, become more alone (love interests simply do not have good prospects in Nolan films) and then totally accept loneliness, missing what was but uninterested in replacing it. In almost every movie, giving too much to another person or putting too much faith in them leads to disappointment. Most have one semi-distant friend (if they have any at all) and don't seem to care to make new ones. Similarly, the general ideas and plot lines are generally sort of I. Hell, Inception takes place almost entirely in dreams and the subconscious. It's not even remotely interested in external reality in any way, despite being chalk full of mayhem and explosions.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8sx
    Socionics
    ENTJ

All I know is Nolan wrinkles my brain .

MBTI
    ISFJ

My favorite movie director of all time. I would agree he's probably INTJ. Can't wait for Inception to arrive here, next Thursday.

ReflecTcelfeR

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    My favorite movie director of all time. I would agree he's probably INTJ. Can't wait for Inception to arrive here, next Thursday.
    I've seen it twice already. I loved every second! You'll have to give me your opinion afterwards.

MBTI
    ENTP

I quite liked Inception, though memento is still my personal favorite of his.

I thought he was similar to ENTP or INTP. It depends, really. Just because you are E does not mean that you don't have to feel alone and get more alone. It could just be a replica of his inner persona, for he may like and get energized by meeting people and what not, but does not connect with any of them, causing him to be alone internally.
    If you were to shoot a mime, would you use a silencer?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

I'd say INTP.

His dialogue isn't snappy enough nor his style 'hip' enough for ENTP.