• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Careers for an INTP

INTPthinker

MBTI Type
ENTP
i'm still trying to figure out a good career for me, i am a 16 year old INTP and i'm REALLY interested in astronomy, and finding/discovering the truth in things. i'm also interested in psychology. What would you guys recommend for an INTP?

Reflection

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
It doesn't have anything to do with you being an INTP and everything to do with what you want to do. And what challenges you (that's an INTP thing, I'm told, so maybe that's an answer to your question).

I've read that INTPs should be scientists, technology wizards, technical writers and what-not. I'm majoring in English and Comp Lit - not exactly science-y, but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Except for math. Yeah, maybe I'll go study math after this, if I find somebody to sponsor me. :huh:

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm about to try nursing. Definitely an INTP profession if there ever was one. I love science, I just don't care for all the strings attached, otherwise I may very well have ended up studying sponges for the better part of this decade. I should have realized this sooner, but what can you do.

Stevo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
My current plans are to earn a Ph. D. in Geology and become a research professor at some sort of academic institution.

Grungemouse

Widdles in your cream.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I'm a second year English & creative writing student. I have no particular career in mind; rather, I'm waiting for the career to find me. When I told the same thing to my ESFJ mum, she reacted with a perplexed squawk of, "Well you must have something in mind. Why else would you be a university?!" Nope. Pursuing a specific field narrows your options a bit, you know? If I stumble upon an opportunity, I'll seize it. The conventional method would just cause stress and disappointment.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm a second year English & creative writing student. I have no particular career in mind; rather, I'm waiting for the career to find me. When I told the same thing to my ESFJ mum, she reacted with a perplexed squawk of, "Well you must have something in mind. Why else would you be a university?!" Nope. Pursuing a specific field narrows your options a bit, you know? If I stumble upon an opportunity, I'll seize it. The conventional method would just cause stress and disappointment.
So does the unconventional method. Stress and disappointment are practically guaranteed for 99% of the population.

Don't wait too long - opportunities don't usually walk up to you and trip you over. ;)

Grungemouse

Widdles in your cream.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
So does the unconventional method. Stress and disappointment are practically guaranteed for 99% of the population.

Don't wait too long - opportunities don't usually walk up to you and trip you over. ;)

I'm not going to wait too long, don't get me wrong. It's just that I've found throughout my life, my goals tend to change as I go along. I wanted to do a joint honours in linguistics & counselling, before realising my emotional intelligence is too backward. Before that I wanted to major in zoology and become an ethologist, until my grades in biology weren't so good. Last year I was hellbent on pursuing a career in linguistics, until my grades came in and I had done a fairly average job. I just don't want to narrow my options and commit to something now, in case I hit a dead end.

Which is why I'm gonna go through university with no fixed plan and allow any emerging information (grades) to influence my career choice as I go along. Preferably, whatever module I happen to do the best in by the end of my course. Meanwhile, I'm pumping up my CV by doing part-time work with various tasks (archiving, proof-reading paperwork, etc). Menial, but eh. They want experience. *shrug*

And some opportunities trip you over. That homeless guy selling the newspaper? You go through the job ads and find your dream career. Happens all the time, all the live-long day. [insert Mickey Mouse laugh here] :D

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram

Do whatever you enjoy but do it passionately!! The gift of the INTP is the hunger for knowledge and understanding. I have had three distinctly different careers and often wondered what I would do with the odd and eclectic variety of skills and knowledge I have accumulated along the way. ;)

At 55 I am enjoying a relatively well paid job teaching technology and graphics, and freedom to explore my interests, but still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. On second thought - I don't really want to grow up if it means I have to stop exploring and experimenting with what interests me. :devil:

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not going to wait too long, don't get me wrong. It's just that I've found throughout my life, my goals tend to change as I go along. I wanted to do a joint honours in linguistics & counselling, before realising my emotional intelligence is too backward. Before that I wanted to major in zoology and become an ethologist, until my grades in biology weren't so good. Last year I was hellbent on pursuing a career in linguistics, until my grades came in and I had done a fairly average job. I just don't want to narrow my options and commit to something now, in case I hit a dead end.

Which is why I'm gonna go through university with no fixed plan and allow any emerging information (grades) to influence my career choice as I go along. Preferably, whatever module I happen to do the best in by the end of my course. Meanwhile, I'm pumping up my CV by doing part-time work with various tasks (archiving, proof-reading paperwork, etc). Menial, but eh. They want experience. *shrug*

And some opportunities trip you over. That homeless guy selling the newspaper? You go through the job ads and find your dream career. Happens all the time, all the live-long day. [insert Mickey Mouse laugh here] :D
I regret having no structure and no long term plan. I regret the decision to make it up as I went along. It was the easy but poor choice born of ignorance and apathy and little to no external guidance. As it was, I did OK, because I work bloody hard when I need to and I'm ridiculously good at everything (;)), but still, things could have been much, much better...