User Tag List

MBTI
    ENTP

Default Careers for an INTP

i'm still trying to figure out a good career for me, i am a 16 year old INTP and i'm REALLY interested in astronomy, and finding/discovering the truth in things. i'm also interested in psychology. What would you guys recommend for an INTP?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

It doesn't have anything to do with you being an INTP and everything to do with what you want to do. And what challenges you (that's an INTP thing, I'm told, so maybe that's an answer to your question).

I've read that INTPs should be scientists, technology wizards, technical writers and what-not. I'm majoring in English and Comp Lit - not exactly science-y, but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Except for math. Yeah, maybe I'll go study math after this, if I find somebody to sponsor me.
    Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it.

MBTI
    INTP

I'm about to try nursing. Definitely an INTP profession if there ever was one. I love science, I just don't care for all the strings attached, otherwise I may very well have ended up studying sponges for the better part of this decade. I should have realized this sooner, but what can you do.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

My current plans are to earn a Ph. D. in Geology and become a research professor at some sort of academic institution.

Widdles in your cream.
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII

I'm a second year English & creative writing student. I have no particular career in mind; rather, I'm waiting for the career to find me. When I told the same thing to my ESFJ mum, she reacted with a perplexed squawk of, "Well you must have something in mind. Why else would you be a university?!" Nope. Pursuing a specific field narrows your options a bit, you know? If I stumble upon an opportunity, I'll seize it. The conventional method would just cause stress and disappointment.
    Um, yeah.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Grungemouse View Post
    I'm a second year English & creative writing student. I have no particular career in mind; rather, I'm waiting for the career to find me. When I told the same thing to my ESFJ mum, she reacted with a perplexed squawk of, "Well you must have something in mind. Why else would you be a university?!" Nope. Pursuing a specific field narrows your options a bit, you know? If I stumble upon an opportunity, I'll seize it. The conventional method would just cause stress and disappointment.
    So does the unconventional method. Stress and disappointment are practically guaranteed for 99% of the population.

Don't wait too long - opportunities don't usually walk up to you and trip you over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    ENTP

my mom is an ESFJ too ahaha :p

Widdles in your cream.
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    So does the unconventional method. Stress and disappointment are practically guaranteed for 99% of the population.

Don't wait too long - opportunities don't usually walk up to you and trip you over.
    I'm not going to wait too long, don't get me wrong. It's just that I've found throughout my life, my goals tend to change as I go along. I wanted to do a joint honours in linguistics & counselling, before realising my emotional intelligence is too backward. Before that I wanted to major in zoology and become an ethologist, until my grades in biology weren't so good. Last year I was hellbent on pursuing a career in linguistics, until my grades came in and I had done a fairly average job. I just don't want to narrow my options and commit to something now, in case I hit a dead end.

Which is why I'm gonna go through university with no fixed plan and allow any emerging information (grades) to influence my career choice as I go along. Preferably, whatever module I happen to do the best in by the end of my course. Meanwhile, I'm pumping up my CV by doing part-time work with various tasks (archiving, proof-reading paperwork, etc). Menial, but eh. They want experience. *shrug*

And some opportunities trip you over. That homeless guy selling the newspaper? You go through the job ads and find your dream career. Happens all the time, all the live-long day. [insert Mickey Mouse laugh here]
    Um, yeah.

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Do whatever you enjoy but do it passionately!! The gift of the INTP is the hunger for knowledge and understanding. I have had three distinctly different careers and often wondered what I would do with the odd and eclectic variety of skills and knowledge I have accumulated along the way.

At 55 I am enjoying a relatively well paid job teaching technology and graphics, and freedom to explore my interests, but still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. On second thought - I don't really want to grow up if it means I have to stop exploring and experimenting with what interests me.
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I'm not going to wait too long, don't get me wrong. It's just that I've found throughout my life, my goals tend to change as I go along. I wanted to do a joint honours in linguistics & counselling, before realising my emotional intelligence is too backward. Before that I wanted to major in zoology and become an ethologist, until my grades in biology weren't so good. Last year I was hellbent on pursuing a career in linguistics, until my grades came in and I had done a fairly average job. I just don't want to narrow my options and commit to something now, in case I hit a dead end.

Which is why I'm gonna go through university with no fixed plan and allow any emerging information (grades) to influence my career choice as I go along. Preferably, whatever module I happen to do the best in by the end of my course. Meanwhile, I'm pumping up my CV by doing part-time work with various tasks (archiving, proof-reading paperwork, etc). Menial, but eh. They want experience. *shrug*

And some opportunities trip you over. That homeless guy selling the newspaper? You go through the job ads and find your dream career. Happens all the time, all the live-long day. [insert Mickey Mouse laugh here]
    I regret having no structure and no long term plan. I regret the decision to make it up as I went along. It was the easy but poor choice born of ignorance and apathy and little to no external guidance. As it was, I did OK, because I work bloody hard when I need to and I'm ridiculously good at everything (), but still, things could have been much, much better...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.