• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] How can I make my life better?

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I can't live this lackluster life any longer. I have a full-time job, living in my aunt's house all alone, and am bound to do incredibly reckless things pretty soon.

Everyone's already grown up into successful lives so far, at least the people I knew. One person is already in Broadway, the other won National Championships in their college sport, another is going to work in Madagascar etc...and I'm still here. No idea what I want to do, eating take-out, attempting to make my life start, because waiting won't do any good. I just can't take that I feel like a loser because it feels like I'm going nowhere even though I'm working my ass off at work and college to be able to move on.

I was considering doing something like CityYear or AmeriCorps, just to have a sense of feeling like I'm actually doing something beneficial for someone who actually needs it. I don't know.

I want to become successful like the people I knew from high school, but I don't even know what to do to start that. Any suggestions?

gromit

likes this
Well look at what all of those people have in common: they had something they were SUPERRRR PASSIONATEEEE about. Not everyone is going to be like that (having a life's passion), though, and, of the people who will have a life's passion, not everyone knows what their passion is at age 19 or however old you are.

I just think it's a myth that you have to find a job that is fulfilling/inspiring. But if you are dead set on that, then I'd imagine the first step is figuring out what you find fulfilling and inspiring.

Trying different experiences, like City Year could be a great way to figure that out. My older brother did City Year after high school, then he biked around Europe for a few months, then he was a bus driver/truck driver, then he got a degree in political science, now he is studying to be a doctor.

I don't know if I'm actually allowed to post in this NT personal thread though... sorry if I'm not supposed to.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Well look at what all of those people have in common: they had something they were SUPERRRR PASSIONATEEEE about. Not everyone is going to be like that (having a life's passion), though, and, of the people who will have a life's passion, not everyone knows what their passion is at age 19 or however old you are.

I just think it's a myth that you have to find a job that is fulfilling/inspiring. But if you are dead set on that, then I'd imagine the first step is figuring out what you find fulfilling and inspiring.

Trying different experiences, like City Year could be a great way to figure that out. My older brother did City Year after high school, then he biked around Europe for a few months, then he was a bus driver/truck driver, then he got a degree in political science, now he is studying to be a doctor.

I don't know if I'm actually allowed to post in this NT personal thread though... sorry if I'm not supposed to.

Yeah, that has always been a problem of mine, keeping passions. I'm one of those people who just likes to sample things in life and not really become super focused into one thing, because I feel like that ties me down to committing to one thing I know about well and not being able to explore other possibilities. I'm thinking being a doctor might still be a passion of mine, but then again it sounds uber-boring.

One thing I want to do though is to buy a hobo-beard, get some man clothes, and travel around the country via hitch-hiking and other random means of transportation, but I still have the face of a little girl, so I have to age a little bit before that happens.

The one thing about the National Champions girl though is that we were best friends in high school, and we both did the same sport, and we were both equally as good (although the coaches for most of the time treated me with more favor), until we were both jaded by them and thought well, whatever college we go to, they'll have a team, and we'll prove to them how much potential we have. I went to the college that sucked the soul (and that passion) right out of me, while she went to one that enhanced that passion, thus leading her to victory.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Hmmmmm... I understand this predicament you find yourself in, as I feel the same way too. I've put my search for an answer on hold right now though. I'm just trying to understand what I truly enjoy by not forcing anything upon me. I thought/think I want to be a doctor, but is this because I just watched an interesting episode of House, which isn't even real?... This had a point, but now it doesn't because I can't remember what it was. I think there was supposed to be some advice. I'll get back to you.

jbking

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Well, what are you studying in college? That may lead to something although another route you could go is to consider figuring out what works well for you. Although this may be a rehash, it is worth pondering to what extent do you fit various kinds of roles. While you want to sample things from life, being a consultant may bring you that to some extent as you'd work somewhere until a project is done and then move on to the next one. While sometimes there can be a point in doing something as in raising money for a worthy cause, sometimes there are things we'd do for fun that we could get paid to do. If you like to solve problems and can handle some abstract thought then technical support may be an idea to try for example.

I tend to like helping people so some of my work is assisting others with bringing in technical solutions to some extent. I like how my work can be rather diverse while at the same time being in a realm where I can feel some comfort. While in some ways, I do know what I like to do there is something to be said for how this will likely evolve as I do imagine that at some point I may move on to something else.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Its about turning nothing into something, turning lacking into expanding, poverty into abundance, negativity into positivity. And that is where it tends to fall flat on its face for an astoundingly disproportionate amount of people, self included. This simple premise of a polarity shift between inspired action of prosperity and invalid inertia of pessimism. The opportunity to look, the possibility to seek, the ingenuity to want, the innovation to succeed, the passion to express, the desire to achieve, the optimism to become are in conflict with society. For society was brought up in a negative gearing mentality and a negative gearing mentality is one that believes poverty is a necessity. And I am not talking about financial, but personal, emotional, intellectual, more. And that is where it starts and ends for a lot of people, this polarity. Or something. haha erh was that helpful?

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Its about turning nothing into something, turning lacking into expanding, poverty into abundance, negativity into positivity. And that is where it tends to fall flat on its face for an astoundingly disproportionate amount of people, self included. This simple premise of a polarity shift between inspired action of prosperity and invalid inertia of pessimism. The opportunity to look, the possibility to seek, the ingenuity to want, the innovation to succeed, the passion to express, the desire to achieve, the optimism to become are in conflict with society. For society was brought up in a negative gearing mentality and a negative gearing mentality is one that believes poverty is a necessity. And I am not talking about financial, but personal, emotional, intellectual, more. And that is where it starts and ends for a lot of people, this polarity. Or something. haha erh was that helpful?

Haha, old thread is old. :laugh:

It makes sense. I guess it goes along with my current struggle to fit in to a circle of tight friends and my need to differentiate myself completely from everyone else and stand out (optimism vs. society). I know it takes time to make these sorts of friends, but I'm impatient as hell. :dont:

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Haha, old thread is old. :laugh:

It makes sense. I guess it goes along with my current struggle to fit in to a circle of tight friends and my need to differentiate myself completely from everyone else and stand out (optimism vs. society). I know it takes time to make these sorts of friends, but I'm impatient as hell. :dont:

Waaaht a thread that is created this year isn't old...your time is mind bogglingly slow, get with the program, besides there is that ingenious INTJ ninja.

Ah its about bringing into awareness positive energy and creating the motion of waves that create the synchronicity of time towards your positive intentions without dragging into your motion the awareness of rancidity that reverberate at negative intervals of experience. Without bringing into focus your personal boundaries there is going to be a lot of barf on the floor. Something. I am still a facilitator of nonsensicalness.