User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: INTPs and life

MBTI
    INTP

If you're slacking too much, you haven't found what interests you yet. Keep at it, but keep enough cards to palm off to society to buy your time and space.

Intelligence is variable. In my opinion, a strong life-long curiosity of a specific kind is what characterizes INTPs.

Relationships: a compatibility issue. It can be analyzed ad infinitum, but the point is that the people who are right for us are also rare, so probability works against us. Try again, and know what you are looking for. The latter is much harder than it sounds.

I don't consider myself part of a group, and I don't know how you define "success". That said, I'm very happy to be me. There's no reason to spend all your time pondering life's little mysteries if you don't find it worthwhile.

This is a page that cites statistics, mostly for Edahn's benefit.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

FWIW, my INTP was just a bit of a late bloomer. He doesn't love his current job, but he doesn't hate it and the pay is adequate. As far as relationships go, we've been happily married for fifteen years. We've had our conflicts and frustrations and we've struggled to make it, but we're still together and we're still crazy about each other. Not too shabby, IMO.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

I have been circling around this aspect of INTP "culture" (from the perspective that "culture" is a set of dominant images that challenge us) for a while. (It may be part of other type cultures too--no claim of exclusivity here).

I have posted to this forum several times due to the same impetus in different contexts.

Defeatisim

Believing we're bad.

Not being a "doer"

The last one was due solely due to my own frustration. That is the one dominant image about INTPs that pretty much negates/trumps anything/everything else.

How is an INTP supposed to respond to the image that they don't DO anything?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    Intp
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    How is an INTP supposed to respond to the image that they don't DO anything?
    By not making an effort to respond to it

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by lbloom View Post
    If you're slacking too much, you haven't found what interests you yet.
    Agreed. Once you get inspired you will start "doing" (even in the eyes of others, if that's important to you).

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Unfortunately, once INTPs "understand" something, they lose their motivation and interest, much of the time.

Just because you love something right now doesn't necessarily mean it's your "life's work" -- if there is such a beastie anyhoo. If it's not profound or provocative enough, the interest eventually fades.

Ride out the waves while you can. Accept a lapse of desire. Use it to fuel looking for something else. But don't make life all about "inspiration."
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by lbloom View Post
    If you're slacking too much, you haven't found what interests you yet.
    Aye, it's true that interest 'n such is important, but really, any area of study will require self-discipline at some point, although it's not our strong suit. I mean, my own major's Chemistry, but I HATED its introductory courses, for much the same reason you describe: they focused on theory and esoteric equations to the point of excluding anything practical. I worked my butt off and didn't do overly well, but Organic Chemistry the next year was much better because we were finally allowed to apply what we had learned. And now, life is good. So the way I figure it, you should just think of mind-numbingly hard work as a temporary fix until you reach the point where the course of study catches your interest.

It's true that the MBTI suggests sloth may be a problem for INTPs, but it tells us that so we can better fight it!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by JonJT View Post
    So, are we really that bad?
    Quite possibly but only if we cease to value other people's thinking.
    Do we really need help?
    Yup. Mostly in supermarkets or when we need to complain to someone like a shop assistant
    Are we crazy?
    Nah. We're the sane ones.... honest
    Are we ever going to be successful as a distinct and independent group?
    Nope. How independent can a group of people be if they consistently fail to be comfortable outside of their own heads?

However there should be a small portion of us who experience what society calls success and a much larger percentage who have success by their own measure. Probably the same percentage overall as other types it's just that certain types perhaps gain more success in areas that society determines as progress than others. I mean to an INTP obsessed with say go-karts they could well build the best in the business but they're less likely to set up a world spanning corporation of go-karts.
    Are we really even that intelligent?
    Me? Oh hell yeah. Like genius plus a load. You? Well... let's see if you agree with me and that should be a good gauge
    And best yet, would we be better off as a different personality type?
    Such as?? Personally I enjoy the whole INTP thing but there again I'm not really the classic INTP... I'm the improved model (wonder if the mods would let me have INTP+ ? ).
    Do any of you want to be a different personality type?
    Well actually on a Monday morning just before work I wish I was maybe an ESTJ or someone who adapts more easily to a routine. There again I'm not sure the question can be answered really. Surely my preferences are what I prefer. To try to prefer another type than the type I prefer is folly, not to mention confusing and a tongue twister!
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTP

I slacked through college, never really enjoying the classes I took. You have to make a friend with chaos. Leave stuff till the last minute as always and your intelligence will see you through it.
    Why do we always come here?

I guess we'll never know.

It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by 25Hour View Post
    Aye, it's true that interest 'n such is important, but really, any area of study will require self-discipline at some point... I worked my butt off and didn't do overly well, but Organic Chemistry the next year was much better because we were finally allowed to apply what we had learned. And now, life is good. So the way I figure it, you should just think of mind-numbingly hard work as a temporary fix until you reach the point where the course of study catches your interest.
    Yes, that's definitely something to consider.

People who normally pick up things quickly often become frustrated by things that do not come quickly or that seem boring... but the thing is that the discipline needed or to introductory material needed is essential to reaching the higher levels where you actually begin to develop a strong passion for what you are doing.

I remember my parents forcing me to sit, crying, at the piano and making me practice although I was so frustrated... but at some point you pass a critical threshold and suddenly you can start to do things with what you've learned. Our eldest son (INTP) is only 12 and is struggling with this -- he only wants to do what he's interested in, and he's bored all the time, but he also isn't willing to try many things yet, to see if an interest develops. So we are working with him to get him at least to push through the boring spots and hopefully things will click later. He's been ambivalent about the cello for years but when he's in a group where the music is challenging but not impossible, he likes it.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft