User Tag List

View Poll Results: Would you take Mephistopheles up on that deal?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 22.58%
  • No

24 77.42%
First 123

Thread: Mephistopheles?

MBTI
    INFJ

I would neither sell my soul, nor anyone else's (you'd be damned for that). People without a soul smell funny.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
    -- Unknown

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

So basically, the idea of selling one's soul is to give up freedom for knowledge? I wouldn't. Whatever is true about the universe stays that way whether I understand it or not. If I give up my freedom it is gone. If I give up awareness of truth, the awareness may be gone, but the truth remains. Knowledge is a luxury, freedom a necessity imo.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    So basically, the idea of selling one's soul is to give up freedom for knowledge? I wouldn't. Whatever is true about the universe stays that way whether I understand it or not. If I give up my freedom it is gone. If I give up awareness of truth, the awareness may be gone, but the truth remains. Knowledge is a luxury, freedom a necessity imo.

What if you thought that with this knowledge you could find a way to get your freedom back? After all, Mephistopheles is not omniscient, but you are, so you would probably outwit him.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    What if you thought that with this knowledge you could find a way to get your freedom back? After all, Mephistopheles is not omniscient, but you are, so you would probably outwit him.
    So in other words you're asking if we'd like to be God?

Mephistopheles not omniscient
    God - omniscient - Having all world's knowledge
    Mephistopheles not truly able to offer all knowledge...

Wait...is this a trick question?
    for my life is slowed up by thought and the need to understand what I am living.

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Littlelostnf View Post
    So in other words you're asking if we'd like to be God?

Mephistopheles not omniscient
    God - omniscient - Having all world's knowledge
    Mephistopheles not truly able to offer all knowledge...

Wait...is this a trick question?

You dont know if God exists, you dont know if you really believe in this Mephistopheles either... You just meet some phantom who tells you that you have a soul that you can sell to him in exchange for omniscience... take it or leave it..
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    You dont know if God exists, you dont know if you really believe in this Mephistopheles either... You just meet some phantom who tells you that you have a soul that you can sell to him in exchange for omniscience... take it or leave it..
    Ok then. No I leave it.
    for my life is slowed up by thought and the need to understand what I am living.

MBTI
    INFJ

What would one do with all that knowledge anyway? I'd like to dispense justice, and ensure peace and harmony. If I had ultimate knowledge, I'd know how to to it....Tempting.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
    -- Unknown

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    RaptorWizard's responce to SolitaryWalker's Mephistopheles? thread:

If we go back to the Garden of Eden story, God commanded Adam and Eve not to partake of the Fruit of Knowledge. They ate of the fruit despite the warning, and then their eyes were opened. The cost however is that they would ultimately perish, and that to postpone this, they would have to work to survive and suffer against pitiless elements. The implications of this are very difficult to see clearly, but I will speculate that there could be some higher power that wants life, at least at this level of existence, to be obedient and toiling slaves to the natural order, or perhaps it could also be challenging life to become stronger on a journey through the eons, even if the means of its accomplishment leads to suffering. In each of these instances, knowledge would aid us in our progressive development to overcome these systems, since it could give us the power we need to rise above our lowly stations, but this resistance could also bounce back upon us with greater adversity. I know not how long we shall have to endure this pain, whether it will last for 1 lifetime on earth, or if we will continue to face it for many lives to come, but the question of how to transcend this could be discovered in the finality and annihilation of all things physical. This world may be corrupted beyond repair, so to heal it, ruin may have to be unleashed upon it, for by destroying the old world, new worlds could be spawned by the will of life, worlds with ideal designs. In this way the problem of evil potentially could be ended. I make no unalterable claim that this is the direction life needs to take in the eons to come, or that such a momentous feat is even achievable, though it remains clear that we are in desperate need of a global transformation that life creates.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/sx

Sell my soul for knowledge of the universe? Hmm...it's a very vague question. I think if I was to gain knowledge, I would be learning more about my soul than actually selling it. The OT story of Adam and Eve losing their place in Eden and being susceptible to (Earthly) death because of gaining knowledge might seem like such a problem at first, but in fact, their soul was sold to ignorant, material existence before gaining knowledge.

But, if you want to know if I would give up eternal life to gain knowledge of material existence, my answer would be No: once gaining knowledge of the whole of the Universe, I would realize that I should have known better.
    Great men are like eagles, and build their nest on some lofty solitude.

Schopenhauer