User Tag List

12 Last

Default NTP Insane focus

You know those times when you think of the same topic for days, completely focused and trying to block out your surroundings, coming up with all possible solutions from every different possible angle. I'll think of an event from start to finish, why it happened, what the outcome was, how to make it better next time. Or I'll think about how I want to start a new company, how I would advertise it and bring in income, etc. I'll block out everything external and think about the same thing for hours. I need to come to a perfect conclusion without missing any detail.

I'm an extravert but when I get like this I dont want to be around anyone. They just get in the way of what I'm thinking about. I get lost in my head and it doesnt matter if anyone else knows what I'm thinking.

Is this normal with NTP's?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

I'm very much a J, but I will say that I do get like that a lot. When I find something that needs my attention, I practically obsess about it even while doing other thing...especially events that didn't go the way I planned. Particularly things that didn't go in my favor, I find it really difficult to let go of.

Even when I am going other things (working, hanging out with friends, playing sports) it's constantly on my mind until I find a solution. If there isn't a clear solution, I find one.
    No matter how long it takes.

MBTI
    SEXY

I had that when I was working on this.
    (removed)

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w6

I know I'm in that obsession mode when I start dreaming about it.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I think INTPs are more prone to get 'internal topic lock.' One topic, burning brightly; and you lock onto it and can't leave it until you figure it out or go as far as you can with it.

ENTPs are more apt to direct that flow outwards and since it's Ne expressed and not Ti expressed, it exposes itself as an intense flitting and bouncing around from one thing to the next.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    ENTPs are more apt to direct that flow outwards and since it's Ne expressed and not Ti expressed, it exposes itself as an intense flitting and bouncing around from one thing to the next.
    This is not true for me at all.

We may lead with Ne, but if it's time for "focus" - i.e., one of the scraps Ne brought in is all of a sudden of mighty interest, then, no....there is no flitting or bouncing around. at all. [this is a common misconception of ENTPs - that, because of Ne, all we do is bounce around, looking for interaction with the "external" - we are very open to perceiving, but when we [FINALLY] make a judgement/a decision....Ne is hella stream-lined]

The flitting and bouncing happens right before the focus - when I'm gauging whether whatever the THING is, is worth my interest [trying to figure out its basic essence]. But....

When something has got my undivided interest and focus, I want to know the "thing" as densely as possible........everything else is tuned out. It reaches levels of "obsession". It's myself and the "thing". I can go for hours on end, with just the idea or project and myself and I quite hate being interrupted by the "outside" during those times.

I actually developed problems with postures because of such stuff - because I wouldn't even remember to move, change my position, etc, and it could be hours and hours, with me just sitting in one spot with my "interest", for days on end.

When I was younger, I would get irrationally angry at such states of interruptions [sometimes destroying stuff because I was so angry at the "distraction"]...but I've learned how to curb my anger now.

MBTI
    IntP
    Enneagram
    =)
    Socionics
    =)

I had this when I took adderall.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTP

I definitely get this way, and when I do, people almost cease to exist for me. I mean, I will still acknowledge them, but they're not getting any sort of undivided attention, which I know can bother some of them. But when I'm in that state, I don't really care.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII None

I attribute this to parenting by Ne, preceded and followed by the effects of Ti.
    Also, the draining effect of environmental (Se-esque?) disturbance (a nice side effect/benefit is better developed Se) makes the need for this focus greater, and the need for sustaining it till the end, i.e. the final picture or the almost exhaustive analysis and resulting conclusion, is what helps this endure. also, I think that this might be at least part of the difference between how this is experienced by Es v/s Is, where Is might do it in a manner that's more analogous, metaphorically speaking, to something like a tripping session.
    The answer must be in the attempt
    avy url : natgeocreative Photo

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I definitely get this way, and when I do, people almost cease to exist for me. I mean, I will still acknowledge them, but they're not getting any sort of undivided attention, which I know can bother some of them. But when I'm in that state, I don't really care.
    Yes, precisely.

Someone could be sitting next to me and I would barely notice them. They would not exist to me or be relevant in any way. 1) They most likely have no clue what I'm thinking about, and 2) even if they did, it wouldn't matter. I must come to my own conclusions.

and I think that rubs a lot of people the wrong way. Even if I do decide to acknowledge them when I'm like this, it will be obvious my mind is in a completely different place.

Therefore causing me to seem more spaced out than usual. and I must detach myself from everything around me. Adding to the impersonal label we get. I'll seek solitude in these times. I come across more introverted than I truly am.