First 4567 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    897?
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    My comments did not address animals other than humans, and my religion is my own.

(see http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1233548)
    OK, so you MEANT to say "I believe there is something to all life" ? Or are you saying you're unsure of that part?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

nonsense, we have no souls. What function would they serve? Why would be need it? If we need a soul, then perhaps we may have one. What I mean to say is, the reason we have a heart, is to pump blood through our veins, everything that is apart of us has a reason to be there, even the appendix may have once served a purpose. So unless the soul has a purpose I really doubt it exists. And like suggested earlier by Jen, we don't know what happens when we die and there is no evidence of anything requiring a soul.
    5 3 9

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

Do I have a soul? I'm sure I do.

Soul, mind, awareness, consciousness, experience, spirit, the 1st person-- it all means the same thing; that we're supposedly all p-zombies has always struck me as a lunatic position, a love of tidy intellectual systems run amok.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

What's a p-zombie?
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    IsfP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

I may not be an NT, but I once had a soul. I ended up selling it for a pizza burger back when I was 13.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    What's a p-zombie?
    A penis zombie. Its creature formed from the disembodied genitals of the dead being sown together in the vague shape of a human being and animated by demonic sexual voodoo.
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh? wgah'nagl fhtagn

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by VYCanisMajoris View Post
    OK, so you MEANT to say "I believe there is something to all life" ? Or are you saying you're unsure of that part?
    I meant to say (and did) that I believe humans have souls, or something beyond the physical body. Since I am a human, I can relate most directly to the human experience. I think it is quite possible that other anmals have the same or comparable, but I have given this question less thought, and do not have the same data to work with.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    897?
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I meant to say (and did) that I believe humans have souls, or something beyond the physical body. Since I am a human, I can relate most directly to the human experience. I think it is quite possible that other animals have the same or comparable, but I have given this question less thought, and do not have the same data to work with.
    So, you don't know? I'm pretty certain we're all the same.

Ask yourself this. Wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that AFTER you died things went back to the way they were BEFORE you were born. For me that means absolute nothingness. I don't remember feeling, thinking, seeing or sensing in any way shape or form before I was born.

That's exactly what I believe happens when we die.

In my estimation this idea of a soul is something that's been programmed into your thinking from outside sources. You maintain this thinking for one of three reasons :

A.Because it's just easier to go along with what everyone tells you.
    B.Because it makes you cope with the idea of death better.
    C.Because you don't want people to think of you as "soulless"

I may sound harsh but I think its important we all understand the world around us and are realistic about the beliefs which govern our thinking. You might say: oh well whether or not I have a soul is of no consequence to how I live my life but I would disagree. Maybe you yourself wouldn't change how you live but if more people were realistic about the world we live in we could learn to not let our ridiculous supernatural beliefs hinder the growth and evolution of our species and technology, our species would be a lot better off.

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by Oom View Post
    I may not be an NT, but I once had a soul. I ended up selling it for a pizza burger back when I was 13.
    This reminds me of the time I collected all of my classmate's signatures on a blank piece of paper. Then at the top I wrote an affirmation stating that anyone who signed the paper gave me the right to their soul. The looks on their faces were priceless....
    “'Fuck', I think. What a beautiful word. If I could say only one thing for the rest of my life, that would be it.”

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

I think its important we all understand the world around us and are realistic about the beliefs which govern our thinking.
    Followed through all of the way, and refusing to recoil from the consequences of our own thought, your view makes it mandatory to jettison language such as 'growth' and 'better', since they get deflated in the hardline nominalist view you're envisioning. Not only does the universe not take sides in your vision, we can't even claim we have likes and dislikes, unless we're using 'like' and 'dislike' as a shorthand to describe public behavioral patterns.