First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    897?
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by capricorn009 View Post
    Yes, I believe in God and souls. Instinct, yes, but the real thing that causes us to believe
    that some decisions are not right is the soul.

ENTJ
    how could your nickname be capricorn and not believe in souls?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Not sure...I always act like I believe in one though, since people might find me strange if I didn't, and think of me as 'soulless', which I could be, but to be considered such by people who revere 'souls', it doesn't sound good.

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Socionics
    LII

So... do you believe in the soul? the idea that when you die.. your energy, spirit, soul, what have you continues to live and that your sense of being still thrives without your brain... just in another form?
    It'd be pretty cool to haunt people, but even cooler to just be dead. So I don't really believe in the concept of souls, but it's still a possibility.
    “'Fuck', I think. What a beautiful word. If I could say only one thing for the rest of my life, that would be it.”

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    897?
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by tawanda View Post
    Not sure...I always act like I believe in one though, since people might find me strange if I didn't, and think of me as 'soulless', which I could be, but to be considered such by people who revere 'souls', it doesn't sound good.
    Bingo... the same reason why ten years ago most people you met said they believed in god... the stigma behind it. Now People who believe in god (at least in my circles) are thought of as kinda strange. The same thing will happen with the soul within the next 10 years is my hope. However, whenever I tell people I dont believe in souls right now. They flat out disagree with me. People like to lie to themselves.

MBTI
    INTJ

I really like your views VYCanisMajoris.

I should start by saying I haven't read anyone elses responses so I apologise if I recap. Hopefully I have a chance to read them at a later date cos I am very interested in what others had to say.

SOUL: I don't believe in identity now or after death and I think we tend to view soul as some kind of identity. To some degree as a human I choose how I am currently being but I wont be 'me' after death and so I'm not worried about what will happen then.

This means I don't believe my grandparents are looking over me (which is a little sad not to believe). I don't think what I do in this life is going to come back and bite me or excel me once I'm dead. It might get me while I'm still here though and I want as much happiness as possible while I'm here. I don't think my worth to the planet has anything to do with what I do or my state of being. I have no right to judge wether a garbage man is less than a doctor. These are all human things - thoughts, memories, and feelings (including fear).

The material of me will always be here in some form or another though. So I may one day be a bit or a rock and bit of a bird and a bit of a television set and a bit of something in outerspace we haven't discovered yet.

What about my energy? It seems logical to me that energy would disperse in some way. Energy also exists in all objects.

Zero identity past being a part of the universe. Identity is lonely anyway so I am OK with this.

This is just what I believe at the moment and what makes sense to me. If someone else believes in something else more rosy then I'm happy for them.

RELIGION: You have led me to wonder if maybe religion seized on peoples dear of death as the ultimate way to control people when there was no government.

I personally believe religion was once vital to making a society work and some of what various religions state as true was only true of the times - they got some things wrong - consistently the subtle but sometimes extreme themes that being a female is inferior. I know most about christianity and their teachings are like a book of ethics to me but not something I fear going against and I don't believe in final judgement. I also went to Sunday school and I have no doubt my ethics are influenced by what I learnt there. It can be a useful guide. Afterall what would society be like if religion had never existed?

MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    INTp

Not in the terms you ascribe. I believe that my mind, my will, and my emotions are my soul. My spirit will be separated from my soul at death; my spirit is what will live for eternity.
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

MBTI
    INTx
    Enneagram

I certainly don't.

ReflecTcelfeR

I simply go on the fact that we can't find a physical representation of the soul so the 'soul' itself is an ideal, until physically shown. I tried explaining, or stating this, but others found me rather strange.

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Hmm.. definitely dont.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    897?
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy View Post
    I really like your views VYCanisMajoris.

I should start by saying I haven't read anyone elses responses so I apologise if I recap. Hopefully I have a chance to read them at a later date cos I am very interested in what others had to say.

SOUL: I don't believe in identity now or after death and I think we tend to view soul as some kind of identity. To some degree as a human I choose how I am currently being but I wont be 'me' after death and so I'm not worried about what will happen then.

This means I don't believe my grandparents are looking over me (which is a little sad not to believe). I don't think what I do in this life is going to come back and bite me or excel me once I'm dead. It might get me while I'm still here though and I want as much happiness as possible while I'm here. I don't think my worth to the planet has anything to do with what I do or my state of being. I have no right to judge wether a garbage man is less than a doctor. These are all human things - thoughts, memories, and feelings (including fear).

The material of me will always be here in some form or another though. So I may one day be a bit or a rock and bit of a bird and a bit of a television set and a bit of something in outerspace we haven't discovered yet.

What about my energy? It seems logical to me that energy would disperse in some way. Energy also exists in all objects.

Zero identity past being a part of the universe. Identity is lonely anyway so I am OK with this.

This is just what I believe at the moment and what makes sense to me. If someone else believes in something else more rosy then I'm happy for them.

RELIGION: You have led me to wonder if maybe religion seized on peoples dear of death as the ultimate way to control people when there was no government.

I personally believe religion was once vital to making a society work and some of what various religions state as true was only true of the times - they got some things wrong - consistently the subtle but sometimes extreme themes that being a female is inferior. I know most about christianity and their teachings are like a book of ethics to me but not something I fear going against and I don't believe in final judgment. I also went to Sunday school and I have no doubt my ethics are influenced by what I learnt there. It can be a useful guide. After all what would society be like if religion had never existed?
    Yeah... could we have made it where we are as a society without religion? I think we could have... and perhaps even faster. However, i'm a firm believer in not having regrets. Religion did play a role in our evolution and could have been the driving force to civilize us... We needed an outlet for our imagination and fears.

I have every reason to hope that I may one day see my mother again in an afterlife. But it's not enough to make me believe something that seems so obviously fictional. Truthfully there have been times where my uncertainty in the afterlife has helped me by cheering me up but its funny I do find that i'm still connected to my mother. I do see her helping me everyday. It is like she is still with me in what she gave me in life. It's a beautiful thing. No less beautiful than a supernatural story of our great reunion in the sky.