User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Same position as God for me: I'm not 100% positive, but I sincerely doubt it.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by fill View Post
    Why would you take any side if we've found no evidence supporting either?
    Because I have better things to do with my time than worry about whether I have a soul or not. Saying there's no evidence "for or against" means there is no evidence, period. In my mind, that means that a belief in the proposition is not justified and therefore "No" is the appropriate answer until evidence does arrive. If I happen to be wrong, I will graciously accept that fact and change my beliefs accordingly. If I'm right, then I was justified in withholding my belief.

I have no evidence for or against the possibility of my dreams fulfilling in the future; should I say, "no, it won't happen," because in this case I would probably give up on my dreams and move to something else– if I'm not mistaken, that fits the model of a self-fulfilling prophecy.
    This is not comparable to the discussion of whether or not souls exist. My non-belief in the existence of a soul does not create a self-fulfilling prophecy, unless you accept some silly form of physical relativism in which for those who believe in souls, souls exist, and for those who don't, there are no souls.

That aside, believing in my own goals and aspirations actually has an effect on my actions and my future state of being, as you have demonstrated. I find that the proposition of a soul is ultimately entirely meaningless to me. It makes absolutely no difference to me whether my soul exists or not. Learning that there are in fact souls that persist in us after death would do nothing to change how I think or behave.

Lasting_Pain

I always wondered what was that voice in my head. Maybe it could be my soul. I don't know. I think I would like to study the mind and the brain before I moveto the soul.

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

do we have souls? i think this question might be in the catergorey with psychics, ghost and ufo`s. what do you guys think?

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I believe in souls, but not in a factual way
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I wish I could.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    897?
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by fill View Post
    Why would you take any side if we've found no evidence supporting either?

I have no evidence for or against the possibility of my dreams fulfilling in the future; should I say, "no, it won't happen," because in this case I would probably give up on my dreams and move to something else– if I'm not mistaken, that fits the model of a self-fulfilling prophecy.
    FSM!!! Where art thou?

Fil, I think that analogy is off a bit because your belief in your dreams directly affects the outcome. So it is healthy to make yourself believe positively. Whether Stevo believes in a soul or not doesn't affect the outcome and therefore there is no reason to think positively about it. Just realistically.

That said... do you believe in a FSM?

Quote Originally Posted by yakimadude View Post
    do we have souls? i think this question might be in the catergorey with psychics, ghost and ufo`s. what do you guys think?
    I think souls are often related to beliefs of psychics. I think when someone starts relating UFOs to religion or the lives of humans my mind wanders elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    I believe in souls, but not in a factual way
    Interesting... so... in a fictional way?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    67sx

Quote Originally Posted by VYCanisMajoris View Post
    So... do you believe in the soul? the idea that when you die.. your energy, spirit, soul, what have you continues to live and that your sense of being still thrives without your brain... just in another form?
    Science still has not explained subjective experience with all its paradoxes and mysteries

- where was I before I was born?
    - what will happen after I die?
    - where does the redness of red come from?
    - is a zombie (functional human being without qualia) possible?
    - how can a physical system create subjective experience?
    - why do I experience mental events occurring inside one brain and not other brains (why am I this brain)?
    - what does it mean to say "I am a certain physical system"?

and more.

We do not know whether science will ever be able to explain this topic. As things stand right now we don't have any evidence for or against reincarnation or any other sort of transmutation of the subjective experience.

The universe was already here for 13 billion years when this particular brain came into existence and with it what I now call my subjectivity. I came to exist from a state of non existence once. It could happen again.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by ocean View Post
    Science still has not explained subjective experience with all its paradoxes and mysteries

- where was I before I was born?
    - what will happen after I die?
    - where does the redness of red come from?
    - is a zombie (functional human being without qualia) possible?
    - how can a physical system create subjective experience?
    - why do I experience mental events occurring inside one brain and not other brains (why am I this brain)?
    - what does it mean to say "I am a certain physical system"?

and more.

We do not know whether science will ever be able to explain this topic. As things stand right now we don't have any evidence for or against reincarnation or any other sort of transmutation of the subjective experience.

The universe was already here for 13 billion years when this particular brain came into existence and with it what I now call my subjectivity. I came to exist from a state of non existence once. It could happen again.
    Subjective consciousness to me is one of the most intriguing unanswered questions there is. But not having an answer to a question doesn't give license to invent a supernatural concept to explain it. Nobody knows the answer, so speculation is fine but that speculation should not be passed off as the "truth" (i.e. religion).

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by yakimadude View Post
    I'm not sure why we feel the need to distinguish soul from body or mind. That's rather deconstructionist and was a conception of the Greeks. It's not even clear whether or not the Biblical Jews separated people into components like that, it seems they viewed them as whole beings.

And what would a soul be? we can at least make a case for a mind, even if it's an extension of some sort of the physical body (which is generally accepted to exist). The soul seems to be an indefinable, separately existing that has no attributes except that it lasts forever. I can't help but see it as something created in order to enable the notion of an afterlife/religion to work properly. (i.e, "If there is an eternal afterlife, and we know the body dies and rots away, and people stop thinking after we die, well, there must be SOME part that will stick around to make this work. Let's call it a soul.")
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft