• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] Redefining some ENTP stereotypes...

Cypocalypse

MBTI Type
eNtP
Enneagram
4w5/
Reading the thread about INTJ versus ENTP "evilness" made me write this thread. I just want to know some of the other ENTPs' view on some of the stereotypes that we have.

Some thoughts:
I find it a bit uneasy to be "evil". I have a weak Te. It's not easy for me to "create" something. Like a "secret weapon". I don't scheme (INTJs probably can do this better). I find it hard to develop extended grudges because of my generally optimistic view on things. And looking at things from a rational perspective, it's unhealthy to develop grudges.

The only accurate perception would probably be about ENTPs being innately obnoxious at times. But most of the time, at least in my case, I'm not aware of it. Like I can say right now that I can be offending at times, but I have very little awareness at the moment that I'm actually offending anyone.

This got me thinking. If I want to be an effective evil, I must have better awareness of the effect of my actions at the moment I make them. And I'm no good at that.

Another thing. About the so-called ENTP charm that he uses to achieve an individualistic goal. It's the same thing. I'm not exactly that aware if what I do at the moment "charms" a certain individual. I can only speculate about the general positive things about my character, but not so much about my actions at the present. Both positive and negative effects of what I do, I'm weak at taking them into account.

In my opinion, ENFJs are better in defining and manipulating the tone of the interactions that they do, which somehow I wish I have. I mean, if I want to do something really evil, I need to have a full understanding of these things.

Doesn't mean that I'm incapable of doing bad.

Like, there was this instance. Some of my friends from a certain social circle that I have wants to boot me out of the group (long story, I'd skip it).

Later, I found out that they were trash talking another social circle that the group collectively hates. The "leader" of the other group tried contacting me (even if we have a history of hating each other), since she knows that a certain alliance can be formed for the meantime because my group practically disowned me.

I basically told some secret stuff to her. Things that she'll find useful if she ever plans on coordinating verbal attacks on my group.

Call this a bit of a betrayal of some sort, but in no way do I imagine myself a major player in the situation, let alone a grand architect. I can do minor actions here and there to let things flow under my idealizations, but that's more like fine-tuning than actual major planning.

Other notes:
On ENTPs being good clowns. I don't know. I never consider myself that good on being funny. I think ESTPs make better jokes. That's because ENTPs, like most intuitives, consciously likes to have intuitive poise in their statements. We have to appear smart, most of the time. Even in our sense of humor. ESTPs don't care if they don't sound smart while being funny.

But it's a bit true, in my opinion, that ENTPs treat life as a joke (I guess that's where the sense of humor resonates). In my case, I used to be more like INTP/INFP back then, with long moments of brooding. It wasn't a very healthy phase of my life, hence I need to "treat life as a joke" to draw a sense of optimism, since I'm also a bit agnostic. I cannot draw optimism on faith hence the need to draw something humorous from what is around.

About ENTPs being unsympathetic...
Uhmmm...ENTPs are as much of an odd ball compared the other eccentric types. We just make fun of stuff but that doesn't imply that empathy is not there. I do think that looking beyond the humorous facade, ENTPs are among the most EMPATHIC types. Though sometimes, the sense of humor is often misinterpreted. That's more like a desire to lighten things up to make the interaction flow better. At least that's how I view it.

Any thoughts?

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You nailed me to an enTp.

I mean, we have tertiary Fe, so while we'll never be like :wubbie: :hug: :cry: NFs, I'd have to theorize that in comparison to the other NTs, ENTPs are the closest to being overtly "F".

I don't think I'm all that great at "charming" people or making people laugh. Then again, I don't even try. Instead of censoring or planning my words, I say whatever I want. :devil:

As for being "evil"...haha I have moments where I'll scheme, and I'm always thinking "THIS TIME I'm going to do it. NO excuses!"....buuuut I usually get distracted half-way through the planning process and end up forgetting about it. :D I don't hold grudges either - that's putting a part of life on pause, and I prefer the "Play" button. ;)

fill

"Everything in its place"
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
You summed it up very well, yes.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ENTP's rock.

Those who can't handle them are missing out on some of the most fun, smart, and interesting people on the planet.

I think many who have issue with such strong personality types are suffering from a sense of personal deficiency in some capacity, or just too sensitive.

Y'all don't change shit, Mmmm'Kay? :D

fill

"Everything in its place"
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
ENTP's rock.

Those who can't handle them are missing out on some of the most fun, smart, and interesting people on the planet.

I think many who have issue with such strong personality types are suffering from a sense of personal deficiency in some capacity, or just too sensitive.

Y'all don't change shit, Mmmm'Kay? :D

Halla, you're the shit, you know that?

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^Thanks y'allz! :happy:

I'll be damned if I let any of my favorite peeps get bogged down in trivial negativity. :thumbdown:

Everybody hates #1. :yes:

In every society, organization, or other cohort of people, the downtrodden have disdain for the successful. :rolli:

Do not let these things bring you down. Treat such attempts at reducing your self confidence as insults thrown at you from a small child. Look them in the eye, smile, and bid them well, and continue rocking on with your bad self. :rock:

Your ESTP cousin bids you all well, and looks forward to the many brilliant ideas and feats of social manipulation you all conjure up. :cheese:

:newwink:

-Halla

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I find it a bit uneasy to be "evil". I have a weak Te. It's not easy for me to "create" something. Like a "secret weapon". I don't scheme (INTJs probably can do this better). I find it hard to develop extended grudges because of my generally optimistic view on things. And looking at things from a rational perspective, it's unhealthy to develop grudges.

The only accurate perception would probably be about ENTPs being innately obnoxious at times. But most of the time, at least in my case, I'm not aware of it. Like I can say right now that I can be offending at times, but I have very little awareness at the moment that I'm actually offending anyone.

Agree, my offending others is likely to be an undeliberate act, often coming about when I get over enthusiastic about something which causes me to lose focus on not having a negative impact on others. Grudges take way more effort than I'm inclined to give, I can't do it, I'd be a pathetic nemesis, plus I also tend to want people to like me no matter how much of a tool I think they are.

Another thing. About the so-called ENTP charm that he uses to achieve an individualistic goal. It's the same thing. I'm not exactly that aware if what I do at the moment "charms" a certain individual. I can only speculate about the general positive things about my character, but not so much about my actions at the present. Both positive and negative effects of what I do, I'm weak at taking them into account.

I don't consider myself charming at all, it's not something I'm aware of if I can be. What I am is goal orientated so I'll amend my approach in a way that helps me achieve the results I want. I'm changeable.

On ENTPs being good clowns. I don't know. I never consider myself that good on being funny. I think ESTPs make better jokes. That's because ENTPs, like most intuitives, consciously likes to have intuitive poise in their statements. We have to appear smart, most of the time. Even in our sense of humor. ESTPs don't care if they don't sound smart while being funny.

I tend to care more about getting people to laugh then appearing intelligent. Although witty humour with an undertone of intellect, or quickness is my preference. All-in-all I'm pretty comfortable with the label of clown :D (I am read as pretty serious much of the time though, go figure!).

About ENTPs being unsympathetic...
Uhmmm...ENTPs are as much of an odd ball compared the other eccentric types. We just make fun of stuff but that doesn't imply that empathy is not there. I do think that looking beyond the humorous facade, ENTPs are among the most EMPATHIC types. Though sometimes, the sense of humor is often misinterpreted. That's more like a desire to lighten things up to make the interaction flow better. At least that's how I view it.

Any thoughts?

I can empathise, I don't do sympathy though, and I do not invest emotionally in those who refuse to take any steps towards fixing problems in their life. I do expect I appear less empathetic than I actually am much of the time though as I'm uncomfortable with personal expressions of emotion, I strongly prefer to give practical advice over a shoulder to lean on.