• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] How Do You Think iNto the Future, NTs?

G

Ginkgo

iNtuition is said to be a very future oriented function, introverted intuition possibly more so than extraverted intuition. So I'd like to know how you think about the future:

(Keep in mind that these questions are generalized :) Give examples if possible.)
  • How far ahead do you think? Days, weeks, years?
  • How strong is your foresight? How often is it true or accurate?
  • How does it affect your daily life?
  • What objects are you thinking about? Friends? Work? The world circumspect? Universe?
  • Does this differentiate you from most of the people you know?
  • Does it make you apprehensive, or does it make you confident?

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
How far ahead do you think? Days, weeks, years?
All of the above. As of now, I'm thinking of what might happen in the Fall, what school I'm going to, what will happen to me when I'm old, like will I have grandchildren, will I be married and live in a mansion by the ocean?

How strong is your foresight? How often is it true or accurate?
Too true for me to handle. I find it funny that some people think I'm psychic, but I'm not. It's just easy for me to predict what will happen, because it's probably happened in history before. Oh, patterns. :)

How does it affect your daily life?
It helps me avoid sticky situations, but not when I'm bored. I'll probably know that something to my disfavor will happen if I show up somewhere, like a sleepover, but I'll be too bored to care and show up anyway.

What objects are you thinking about? Friends? Work? The world circumspect? Universe?
Usually friends. Work is too random and sporadic to predict or even imagine what could happen, because the unimaginable happens all the time. The world will be fine, and I don't really know much about the universe.

Does this differentiate you from most of the people you know?
I don't see it to differentiate, I usually just keep most things to myself, since no one believes me anyway until something happens.

Does it make you apprehensive, or does it make you confident?
Depends on my mood.
Bad mood = apprehensive
Good mood = confident

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
iNtuition is said to be a very future oriented function, introverted intuition possibly more so than extraverted intuition. So I'd like to know how you think about the future:

(Keep in mind that these questions are generalized :) Give examples if possible.)

I love my iNtuition! I play games with it in my head and speculate on the effects of new technologies and how they will affect the way we communicate. I have done this for years with a very high success rate - probably about 85% correct.

One thing I have learned about iNtuition is that because others do not see what I see, I have to be patient to put in place positive change and/or processes that will affect positive change. The preparation and the patience has sometimes taken up to 3 to 5 years. The upside is, if I am certain I can fix things, I have patience to set things in motion and wait while giving it subtle prods along the way. :devil:
Can be years for larger issues but more frequently several weeks to a year.
Very strong - I can be eerily accurate so I tend to sometimes keep that foresight to myself so I don't spook others. What it really is is a stronger than usual perception of more subtle actions and consequence on which others don't pick up.
It affects my daily life and I use it significantly to navigate the world of technology, education and training trends and how I develop and teach learning resources.

• What objects are you thinking about? Friends? Work? The world circumspect? Universe?
Family on the micro level, my work environment and emerging technologies, personal philosophies (which are liquid and continually morph and reform based on instinctive intuition), the world view politically and environmentally, testing the spruik and populist belief on my own observations and intuition.
In a word - yes, but occasionally I encounter in life someone else whose intuition approximates mine and while we are in contact it is like taking a drink of cool fresh water in the desert of life. :)

This is difficult to answer. It makes me confident in myself, or rather I am confident in my use of intuition. I am not confident of any society making socially and environmentally sound, informed decisions based on what I see through my intuition.

spin-1/2-nuclei

MBTI Type
INTJ

- I think to the end of every task/goal and plan backwards - so how far ahead I am thinking into the future is always task/goal dependent...

- my "foresight" depends on the accuracy of the information I've gathered.. typically I am correct if I bother to form an opinion about the likely occurrence of a future event because if I've formed an opinion I've got extensive evidence to suggest one outcome over another - otherwise I simply remain neutral and institute the multiple backup plans approach...

- it's the way I am so it is hard to know how it effects my life since I've never been any other way.

- anything that requires action on my part is subjected to the behavior described above... If I do something I plan to do it correctly and accomplish the task /goal therefore I will start from the desired outcome and analyze what will be necessary to reach that outcome in reverse - so this applies to any and all aspects of my life..

- I really don't know about the general population - but most of my friends approach the important things in their lives in a similar way.

- I'm never apprehensive or confident all of the time... confidence for me depends on how well prepared and knowledgeable I am about a situation... if I have done or am doing my best then I am confident (since there is nothing more that can be done on my part)...

I avoid situations where I am not prepared and have no relevant knowledge thus I do not typically experience apprehension... If the situation is unavoidable then it will be postponed until the appropriate knowledge and preparation has been obtained...

If I am forced to "wing" something then I am never apprehensive or confident I am simply neutral as I can only do my best with whatever limited advantage I may or may not have and nothing more can be done.. it really isn't logical to feel either way if you are forced into a situation that you are not prepared for....

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm

100000000000000000000000000000000000........... years

I like to look at the final outcomes of things and I am always searching if it is possible to find a way to rise up for one more level just so that I could see things more clearly.

For example most people would really like to find the love of their life. While I claim/think that this is pointless if the place you get acquainted is called Titanic.

In other words I think that everything is predominated with what is going on on a deeper / higher level. So if things go bad on a few levels above our perspective sorting out detail and memories will not help us. (we probably wouldn't even know what hit us)

How strong is your foresight? How often is it true or accurate?

1. Very

2. It is good as the data I have

How does it affect your daily life?

Honestly ? Foresight and planning acording it IS my life.

To me is crucial that I know what I am doing and why I am doing it and this is basicly the only thing I really need in life.

What objects are you thinking about? Friends? Work? The world circumspect? Universe?

Reality in general. Since I think that all things are connected.
To me it makes total sense to make arguments that mix science, politics and philosphy makes total sense. For example: judging the work of political figures through the eyes of chemistry and biology makes much more sense than through conventional political wisdom.

Does this differentiate you from most of the people you know?

Very. I have never meet a person that is almost identical to me. Ok there is a fact that I don't know that many people but still this is the truth.
Especially since people who know me for years claim that I really stick out almost always.

Does it make you apprehensive, or does it make you confident?

I would say very confidant because what I am forseing can dwarf pretty much everything people throw at me. However most of my thought I keep for myself because entire spectre of reasons. But basicly most of it comes down that I already feel alianted enough and that I don't want to make people depressed. (so there is no reason to push it further)

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Sometimes just minutes - playing the lesson I'm about to give into my head. Sometimes it's years, even till ten or twenty.
Sometimes it's centuries... but then I'm writing science fiction...
The short ones are a bit around the mark - sometimes I get the questions I anticipate.
The short-range ones are useful because they help me to focus on the lesson subject.
The middle-range ones are the daydreaming ones helping to keep me happy, even if I know these dreams are improbable.
The long-range ones, well, you can regard them as fiction with a setting in the future rather than a future prediction used as fiction.
Short: work, colleagues, home, husband, friends,...
Middle: own life (what would it be when I'm a grandma?), technology, all sorts of scenarios to bring peace in Jerusalem (or another place)...
Long: multiverse.
Lots of people I know do the short- and middle-range ones.
Long? Well that's imagination, not future thinking.
Both.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[*]How far ahead do you think? Days, weeks, years?

Two years to five years is short term default. Always thinking 15 to 25 years ahead though. I force myself to think shorter timeframes for practical reasons.

[*]How strong is your foresight? How often is it true or accurate?

I'm pretty good at predicting things but much better on what than when. I also seem to have a reasonable feeling about when things are ready to hit critical mass or an inflection point - 1 to 2 years within.

[*]How does it affect your daily life?

Engage in things on a day to day basis that will have long term benefits. Sometimes I don't focus enough about short term immediate considerations which is an impairment. I try to get other people's perspectives though because of my weaknesses here.

[*]What objects are you thinking about? Friends? Work? The world circumspect? Universe?

Work and personal situations mostly. I do think about what will happen in the world sometimes but not so much the universe.

[*]Does this differentiate you from most of the people you know?

Yeah - I really don't know any people in my life that think as long term as I do.

[*]Does it make you apprehensive, or does it make you confident?

Both. :)

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
1. Infinity

2. Don't know.

3. I lose focus/ turn slightly mentally ill. I also lose motivation to do anything except survive.

4. Everything. Mainly Time, existence and grand possibilities(world revolution etc.)

5. Yes.

6. It doesn't benefit me, I just enjoy thinking about it. It's a neutral.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

All of the above. I think as far ahead as is necessary. If I'm thinking about a good way to plan for retirement, for example, then I'm thinking 10, 20, 30, and 40 years into the future. If I'm thinking about eternity, then my thinking includes more than just "this small 100 years". If I'm thinking about what bills need to be paid this month, then I'm thinking just a few weeks in advance.

[*]How strong is your foresight? How often is it true or accurate?

I don't see it in terms of "accuracy". I see it in terms of allowing me to see all of my options. Then, a certain amount of that is up to me to shape it how I want it. Like if I reach retirement and don't have anything to retire on, I can't use the excuse that "nobody warned me". Indeed, my foresight showed me that I need to prepare to a certain extent and plan for that time in my life. If I don't have the discipline to plan and stick to the plan, then my foresight was "good", but I myself didn't deliver on what it showed me. If I do plan and have discipline, then my foresight works out beautifully.

[*]How does it affect your daily life?

I don't notice it because I'm used to it, but it's the way I think. Every single day. I'm always thinking 1, 2, or 3 steps ahead of where I'm currently at. If I'm coming up to a turn in the road and I'm still 30 feet away from the turn, I'm already thinking "There could be a car coming the other way around that turn, so make sure you are prepared for that." That's just a small, every day example, but I notice that a lot of people don't do that. I used to think everyone did that. But, I watch people and they will get to the turn and then be shocked when a car is right there and they have to hit the brakes suddenly. That usually doesn't happen to me because I've already anticipated it well in advance.

[*]What objects are you thinking about? Friends? Work? The world circumspect? Universe?

Things I need to take care of, responsibilities (at work and in my personal life), leisurely activities, what I'd like to do next year, coming up with 1, 3, and 5 year plans to advance my business. How I can make a positive impact in the world, etc.

[*]Does this differentiate you from most of the people you know?

It seems to.

[*]Does it make you apprehensive, or does it make you confident?

When I was younger, it did create some anxiety. But, as I've matured, it gives me confidence. I can see almost every possibility before it comes, so I'm usually prepared now. And that only brings confidence. Again, foresight is great if you follow through and work towards the things that your foresight shows you. If you're lazy and don't work towards it, then it laughs at you when you aren't prepared. "Ha ha ha. I told you 50 years ago that you should start working towards retirement and financial independence. But, you didn't care. You just wanted to waste all your money and have fun in the moment. Well, good luck to you now!" ---it can be that type of thing.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think into the future by playing God. Of course I cannot really dictate what happens in the world around me, but I envision my ideal course of events, what I would do if the usual constraints of reality were absent. I have long believed that if I cannot envision it, I have no hope of making it happen. The converse is not always true, namely my visions aren't always successful. Once I formulate this vision, I then reintroduce the idea of constraints. Surprisingly, many just vanish at this point, or reveal themselves to be not nearly as insurmountable I had previously thought. At this point, I can turn the vision into a plan suitable for implementation. I have done this on time scales of days to years. Like InsatiableCuriosity, I can be extraordinarily patient in seeing these plans through.

In this sense, therefore, my foresight is less predictive than normative. When something I foresee happens, it is often because I made it happen, or at least contributed to its realization.

I know plenty of people who don't seem to bother about long-tern plans, even straightforward things like preparing for a satisfying career. They just get carried along by events and the expectations of others, and end up somewhere OK, but I always wanted better for myself. A couple of people at work have expressed surprise at how far ahead I look, how thoroughly I plan things out, and how patient and persistent I can be. This surprises me because I work in an environment with lots of NTs, so I would expect such behavior to be par for the course.

Unique

All of the above

It isn't no damn foresight its called possibilities

Doesn't effect my life, seems to effect some S types who get confused by people with a vacant expression clearly not currently aware of their surroundings

All of the above and then some

Oh how I wish there were more intuitives.... in other words, fuck yes

Neither