First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Robopop View Post
    I feel VERY different from ISTJs I know, INTPs are far more similar function wise to ENTPs, ISTPs, and INFPs than they are to ISTJs.
    Come on, we're lighter than that(when healthy).
    I feel very different from ISTJs I know as well, but I've been told that I come off as one on more than one occasion. This could be because I'm actually not INTP, of course, but that's a different issue. I'm just pointing out that how one feels inside is not necessarily how others percieve them.

Also, comparing the functional similarities of the types you mentioned to INTPs is all well and good, but remember that I said "Ti-Si INTPs," meaning that the Ti and Si are emphasized while the Ne is de-emphasized. This means that the types most functionally similar would be ones with prominent Ti and Si and little Ne (ISTP, ISTJ, ISFJ, or an Fi-Si INFP.)

Also, what do you mean by "lighter?" From what I have seen and read, INTPs are fairly sober and serious. Much like ISTJs, though definitely not as severe.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    So either the INTP is suppressing their Ne because they're in a socially uncomfortable setting, or they're "unhealthy," and said suppression makes them look similar to an ISTJ. Otherwise they look pretty different, yes? So I guess an INTP would not really look ISTJ consistently for sustained periods of time, unless they only appeared to the viewer in superficial social contexts in which they were uncomfortable.
    I'm going with the bolded part. "Superficial social contexts" actually fits better than what I said earlier about being "uncomfortable". In most social contexts, I know that people probably won't relate to my whacky Ne. So, I keep it under wraps a bit. Sure, I throw out some witty, humorous quips here and there if I see an opportunity, but with most people I have trouble connecting with them via Ne. So, I just come off as this quiet, respectful, reserved guy who stays in the background and seems very structured and responsible, possibly even "square".

If the conversation allows me to use my Ne to a larger extent, the people quickly see that I'm much more "off the wall", full of crazy ideas, willing to talk about hypotheticals, and very much "outside" of the box that they had probably begun to put me in. I'm very unpredictable, whereas, ISTJ's are very predictable IMO.

So, I don't always have to be "uncomfortable" or "unhealthy" to supress my Ne. If I'm around a group of STJ's and I start throwing out hypotheticals and theories, they're just going to look at me like: It's just not going to work in that situation. So, I supress it and just take the shape of an ISTJ-type (INTP's are known for mirroring the behavior of those around us anyways) for a couple of hours until I just can't take it anymore. Then I call my ENFP or ENTP friends and it's party time. A big Ne party:

It's just a matter of who I'm hanging out with.
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Also, what do you mean by "lighter?" From what I have seen and read, INTPs are fairly sober and serious. Much like ISTJs, though definitely not as severe.
    I guess by lighter I meant more easygoing lifestyle wise than ISTJs, though still pensive. Most introverts in generally will probably look serious and sober outwardly.
    Reserved Calm Unstructured Egocentric Inquisitive Clown

Johari Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I feel very different from ISTJs I know as well, but I've been told that I come off as one on more than one occasion. This could be because I'm actually not INTP, of course, but that's a different issue. I'm just pointing out that how one feels inside is not necessarily how others percieve them.
    That's just it. We are very different from ISTJ's and we know it. But, others perceive us as being like ISTJ's *if we are not fully exposing Ne*.

Aren't you a very different person when you're using Ne than when you're not? When I'm using Ne, it's usually pretty fun. Lots of humor, lots of wit, lots of laughing, lots of silliness. When I'm not using Ne, then I seem like I have an "accountant" personality. Serious, fairly reserved, etc.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    That's just it. We are very different from ISTJ's and we know it. But, others perceive us as being like ISTJ's *if we are not fully exposing Ne*.

Aren't you a very different person when you're using Ne than when you're not? When I'm using Ne, it's usually pretty fun. Lots of humor, lots of wit, lots of laughing, lots of silliness. When I'm not using Ne, then I seem like I have an "accountant" personality. Serious, fairly reserved, etc.
    This is good, I've always thought I had all these different sides to my personality, like there is the silly, zany, goofy me, the serious, careful, thoughtful me, the super pissed off me, and most of the time, the cool, chill, laidback quiet me who observes the world from a distance.
    Reserved Calm Unstructured Egocentric Inquisitive Clown

Johari Nohari

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I'm going with the bolded part. "Superficial social contexts" actually fits better than what I said earlier about being "uncomfortable". In most social contexts, I know that people probably won't relate to my whacky Ne. So, I keep it under wraps a bit. Sure, I throw out some witty, humorous quips here and there if I see an opportunity, but with most people I have trouble connecting with them via Ne. So, I just come off as this quiet, respectful, reserved guy who stays in the background and seems very structured and responsible, possibly even "square".

If the conversation allows me to use my Ne to a larger extent, the people quickly see that I'm much more "off the wall", full of crazy ideas, willing to talk about hypotheticals, and very much "outside" of the box that they had probably begun to put me in. I'm very unpredictable, whereas, ISTJ's are very predictable IMO.

So, I don't always have to be "uncomfortable" or "unhealthy" to supress my Ne. If I'm around a group of STJ's and I start throwing out hypotheticals and theories, they're just going to look at me like: It's just not going to work in that situation. So, I supress it and just take the shape of an ISTJ-type (INTP's are known for mirroring the behavior of those around us anyways) for a couple of hours until I just can't take it anymore. Then I call my ENFP or ENTP friends and it's party time. A big Ne party:

It's just a matter of who I'm hanging out with.
    I guess by lighter I meant more easygoing lifestyle wise than ISTJs, though still pensive. Most introverts in generally will probably look serious and sober outwardly.

This all makes sense, especially what you've said, INTPness. Though, in response to the bolded, Robopop, I wouldn't necessarily say that all introverts remind me of ISTJs, even if they do appear serious and sober. I meant INTPs in particular because of their logical aura and their Si (if, for whatever reason, it is played up in lieu of Ne.) That's why I asked about INTPs specifically, because if I thought that the ISTJ-appearing traits I'm thinking of were merely signs of introversion or something else general like that, then I wouldn't have asked this question.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

He who laughs
    Enneagram
    5w4

I feel VERY different from ISTJs I know, INTPs are far more similar function wise to ENTPs, ISTPs, and INFPs than they are to ISTJs.
    Come on, we're lighter than that(when healthy).
    Agreed, if you think you are that stiff maybe you are unhealthy and is not really an INTP. I can relate to exhibiting rigid, fact-oriented and impersonal traits on a superficial level when you meet me, but once beyond the superficial I cant see it at all. Im rather open with friends and they quickly understand that Im not someone that is as I seem. They know I go by a different beat than most people rather quickly.

Plus a side question where do you get that its ISTJ and not ISTP that an unhealthy INTP exhibits? And according to this idea wouldnt that mean that an unhealthy ESTJ would exhibit intp traits? Which is weirder than I can agree on

Edit: If we take the example with an unhealthy estj it would make more sense that they exhibited ENTJ traits. ESTJ (Te Si Ne Fi) compared to ENTJ (Te Ni Se Fi)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A

I have never been and will probably never will "appear like an ISTJ". (Except for the serious strict-looking face.) My Ne is my air, without it I can't think or speak. It's removing the label of "curious(on possibilities)"(which I'm usually labeled). Si tires me. I do on occasion think about the past but that's mainly to do "some Ne" on it.

No, it's quite difficult for me to see myself appearing Si Te. Te, I can, as I do it a lot with Ti; I organize things well. But organization comes with my own selection of ways in organizing things. I actually enjoy my possibilities than my maths.Ne Ti I can live, Si Fe I cannot.

Information is a big deal. I might've over exaggerated though.

It would be interesting yet very hard to relate to an Si'ish INTP. I have known a few ISTJ's and our differences can be simplified into clumsy weird curious versus professional responsible.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I don't get all the "unhealthy" talk. If I'm around a bunch of SJ's who are talking about concrete facts and asking questions about a project that requires concrete answers (i.e., it's not a brainstorming session or a "think tank" type situation), then Ne doesn't play a huge role in that situation. Or if I'm small-talking with someone about the weather or the fact that their car broke down over the weekend and they had to mow their lawn in the heat (blah, blah, blah, ad finitum), it doesn't do any good for me to start hypothesizing and talking about this new, crazy idea I have for a business, etc. So, I just don't use it in those particular situations. And I come off "fairly stiff". Big deal. By coming off "stiff", the conversation ends sooner and I get to get away from the small talk sooner. That's a good thing most of the time!

I don't see why that's unhealthy. It's a calculated decision to not use Ne when the situation doesn't call for it. Therefore, their "perception" of me is fairly ISTJ-ish, but in reality I'm not ISTJ-ish. I'm a full on INTP who, like someone said, marches to the beat of my own drum for the most part.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

For the record, I am not saying that INTP's are like ISTJ's.

I'm only saying that (a) in the relative absence of Ne, (b) we can seem similar to them (c) in the eyes of others.