User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Default Rationals and music preferences

Hey MbtiC

Just out of interest what genres of music to you prefer, which ones are you not too fond of. Let's see if there's a correlation between music taste and MBTI. I'm sure a lot of you have already thought about this so let's hear some opinions.
    Inno A Satana

I:11% Intuitive:88% Thinking:62% Perceiving: 67%

MBTI
    ENTJ

Classical music, Blues, Jazz, Rock, Hard-Rock, Heavy-Metal and Instrumental Rock

I don't care about the lyrics and I like to listen to technically proficient musicians.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by God Of Emptiness View Post
    Hey MbtiC

Just out of interest what genres of music to you prefer, which ones are you not too fond of. Let's see if there's a correlation between music taste and MBTI. I'm sure a lot of you have already thought about this so let's hear some opinions.
    At the outset music is only about environment hence about culture.
    It is only later in life you pick your choice.

My father strictly forbade me to listen to anything but Beethoven, Bach and Mozart.

When I was three years old I listened to Paul Dukas on the sly.
    I did not care much for Beethoven in those days.

But of course my father was right.

MBTI
    INTP

I listen to everything except country music and most pop music.

I don't like country because the twang annoys me. I don't like most of the new pop music because of a stigma it hold. I find most pop music to be empty or lack depth in both the lyrics, the beat and the mastering process. The music is manufactured for a mass audience and is designed to sell sell sell. I find that a bit repulsive.

I've really been enjoying AC/DC, Erykah Badu, The Mars Volt and Cubanismo lately.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    Classical music, Blues, Jazz, Rock, Hard-Rock, Heavy-Metal and Instrumental Rock

I don't care about the lyrics and I like to listen to technically proficient musicians.
    Technically proficiency eh? A talented musician who is able to produce good instrumental music is fantastic I to derive joy from analyzing such things. But, injecting a bit of emotion into your listening experience can do wonders for mood and temperament. Sometimes just letting it flow is really really nice.

MBTI
    INTJ

My music evolves around progressive music, in a broad sense. That means bands like Tool, Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Pain of Salvation, dredg, Orphaned Land, Agalloch, Pink Floyd, Yes or Radiohead. I listen to some indie and alternative on the side. I had a big Mozart period once upon a time, and even if I don't listen too much to classical music these days, I am very open to it and respect and like it. I listened to the whole thing, from operas, to symphonies, to string quartets to death masses. :P I guess soundtrack music is a bit related to that, and I listen to some, like Clint Mansell or Howard Shore. I also like some singer-songwriters, like Nick Drake, Jeff Buckley or Tori Amos. There is some jazz, but not much. I am absolutely allergic to any music that feels cheap and shallow. I am mostly attracted to the music over the lyrics, and to emotional music rather than technical. I am very album oriented!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I hate country, because in general it doesn't involve a lot of technical proficiency. (Modern pop is somewhat this way too.)

Overall, I hate generic music with generic words that can all be interchanged with each other, and the more the music surprises me in the direction it goes, the better.

As long as something is done with excellence and skill, I love it -- even if it's rap.

Personally, I like to use odd/jazz-style chords in my own playing.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I hate country, because in general it doesn't involve a lot of technical proficiency. (Modern pop is somewhat this way too.)

Overall, I hate generic music with generic words that can all be interchanged with each other, and the more the music surprises me in the direction it goes, the better.

As long as something is done with excellence and skill, I love it -- even if it's rap.

Personally, I like to use odd/jazz-style chords in my own playing.
    Do you have a desire for technically proficient music because the complicated chords, rhythms, verses, etc are pleasing to you? Or because the music comes off as intelligent and sophisticated thereby satisfying a need for intellectual stimulation?

I dislike pop music because of what the music industry has turned it into, but I don't feel there is anything wrong with "simple" music. Some of the music I like the most is very very simple.
    The desire for an intellectually complex world seems to permeate everything and anything mbticentral members involve themselves in, including music. Even though I'm supposed to be INTP, I find this lack of emotion a bit unfortunate.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by JonJT View Post
    I've really been enjoying AC/DC, Erykah Badu, The Mars Volt and Cubanismo lately.
    The Mars Volta is good, but sometimes they get boring; I can't consistently listen to them. I like/hate their longer songs too, like Cygnus and Cicatriz ESP.

dredg, Porcupine Tree, and Radiohead are awesome too.

Lyrics I do place a bit of a premium on, but it's not too important...I could always read a book if I wanted word artistry.

I like "different kinds of rock" and some jazz music, especially smooth jazz. The music I really like I consider to be atmospheric and deep. Classical music I can listen to and like, but I won't do it regularly. I have a thing for indie music, but I also haven't been band-hunting for a long time.

Some artists I like: Interpol, The Secret Machines, Jimmy Eat World, At The Drive-In (more than Mars Volta ), Sparta (more than Mars Volta ) Mew, The Dillinger Escape Plan (hate the lyrics), As Tall As Lions, Wilco, Sigur Ros, Fugazi, and Explosions In The Sky.
    Still using a needle to break apart a grain of sand.

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    I like to listen to technically proficient musicians.
    This is how I've always imagined T's would like music. By that I mean, emphasis on the technical skill, not so much the "soul" aspect.

Jennifer, about your comment about rap.

First, I'd like to say that I listen to a wide veriety of music including many things that are hip-hop and many things that have no relation to hip-hop whatsoever. Most of my favourite music is in the blues or jazz vain, or is based on it. But, my name, GZA, is the name of an MC, just so you know.

But yah, "even if its rap".... I just find that interesting because... what is there to be embarassed or apologetic about? I know you arn't apolgizing, but I'm just thinking about kind of a greater attitude many people in society have about rap music where they need to apologize or justify listning to it more than other styles.

I find it odd because to me, rap seems like a very natural thing. I'm suprised rapping wasn't invented thousands of years ago. Rap gets a bad reputation as being violent and shallow, but I think for every album with that kind of stuff there is another rapper wating in line saying something anti-violence and very productive. Sadly, they don't get much deserved attention. Actually a lot of the violent rappers also do things with anti-violence messages, or their violence-themed song really has an anti-violence message to it (i.e. portraying the state of inner cities as a way to expose it to the greater cultural conciousness).Its also sad that people have that misconception because really if anything the hip-hop culture is against violence.... I think it uses dancing and rapping as kind of a substitute, because those things can be competitive. Also, a lot of the stuff you see on TV about hip-hop, big cars, big silver chains, hoes, ect does not reflect the real hip-hop culture at all.

I really don't think critics of rap and hip-hop understand or even pay attention to it at all.