• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Rationals and music preferences

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
I agree that there are good metal. In fact, some are my favorites. Do you listen to skillet? They're my favorite metal band, along with (possibly) My Chemical Romance (What are they, really? Metal, hard rock or alternative?) I'll try Blacwater Park. Thanks for the suggestion!

Sorry, but haven't heard Skillet, but from what I could find on them, they didn't seem to be metal. The most common My Chemical Romance tag on Last.fm is emo and rock, but quite big are also punk rock and alternative. According to Wikipedia they are alternative rock.

...none taken.

Jazz, like many other musical styles has a wide range of sub-genres. From some stuff that can rival the most "metal" metal, to soft, fluffy things that would choke a buttefly. If you're willing to expand your horizons some, you might find something that suits your fancy.

But, we all have our own preferences and tastes. :headphne:

I didn't say jazz was bad or anything, but I find it hard to get into for some reason. I am not a metal guy, I am a modern progressive rock guy. On my computer I mostly have jazz classics, like the albums A Love Supreme and Kind of Blue and some Chet Baker, Joe Lovano, Pat Metheny and some jazz fusion by Frank Zappa and Al Di Meola. I respect all of this stuff and think it is good music, but so far I haven't felt it fits me 100 %. But sure, what kinds of heavier jazz do you recommend? By the way, a lot of the progressive stuff I listen to is jazz influenced, which I love. There is tons of music out there to explore, and it is impossible to explore it all. I am open to jazz, but it is not the main direction in which I have explored.

Camelopardalis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Besides the Pop'ish music, I enjoy composers like John Williams and Jerry Goldsmith.

My all-time favorites are: Bach, Vivaldi, Tchaikovsky, Beethoven, Dvorak, Stravinsky, Mozart and Handel. Bach was a quite recent addition :) I just found it in myself to appreciate his Claviers because I'm playing them. He used to be so boring to me.

Hirsch63

MBTI Type
IS??
Technical proficiency and soul are not mutually exclusive.

See: Django Reinhardt or The Tony Rice Unit.

Or hear, rather....

MBTI Type
INTJ
Even as a T, I am more drawn to the soul than the technical proficiency. While I can appreciate a tremendous instrumentalist (Jack White is God), I believe in the DIY aesthetic.

My favorite genres are blues, 60s soul, and hard rock/light metal. I tend to dislike modern mainstream country, gangsta rap and dance/trance/ambient. When I was a teenager, I was crazy about progressive rock like Genesis, Yes and Rush, but that's faded as I've gotten older. I still enjoy those bands, but mostly out of nostalgia. I can't imagine that I would get turned on to a new progressive rock band today (unless Muse counts).

umop_3pisdn

MBTI Type
INTJ
Lately I've been listening to a lot of experimental electronic music. Most notably autechre. I've been kind of obsessed with their music for a while now, I think they are more or less genius.

I also really enjoy Venetian Snares, as well as some dark ambient music such as Atrium Carceri, Kammarheit, or Sombrous. In terms of more classically styled music, I haven't been exposed to a whole lot. Though I really enjoy everything I've heard by Arvo Part.

I tend to like instrumental music. I like the ability of music to inspire feelings and such without words. Sometimes music can inspire emotions one was not sure one could otherwise feel. For some reason I tend to prefer darker/colder sounds, because when employed well, the music often strikes me as more philosophical or poignant, or something. I'm kind of mistrustful of the more cheery musical offerings.

I also tend to prefer electronic and highly distorted or mechanical sounds to traditional instruments. Not like happy trancey stuff, more along the line of glitch or experimental.

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
While I can appreciate a tremendous instrumentalist (Jack White is God), I believe in the DIY aesthetic.

Jack White is technically incompetent and his lyrics serve only to veil how little he has to say.

Kurt Cobain became a rock musician because he needed the outlet. Jack White became one because he liked the idea of being a rock musician. Only Guns 'n Roses eclipse the White Stripes as an inexcusably lauded imitation of a rock group.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
MBTI Type
INTJ
Jack White is technically incompetent and his lyrics serve only to veil how little he has to say.

Kurt Cobain became a rock musician because he needed the outlet. Jack White became one because he liked the idea of being a rock musician. Only Guns 'n Roses eclipse the White Stripes as an inexcusably lauded imitation of a rock group.

Guns 'N Roses is one of my favorite groups as well, so I think it's fair to say that two INTJs can have wildly different outlooks and opinions in regard to the music they enjoy.

Turbinado

MBTI Type
INTP
My favorites:
The Apples in Stereo
M.I.A.
Louis XIV
Amy Winehouse
The Spinto Band
The Unicorns
Mika
Be Your Own Pet
Tullycraft
The Boy Least Likely To

I do like really obvious mainstream pop as well, however. Not all of it, but real pure pop like Britney Spears.

Turbinado

MBTI Type
INTP
The most common My Chemical Romance tag on Last.fm is emo and rock, but quite big are also punk rock and alternative. According to Wikipedia they are alternative rock.

I'm call them pop punk... they can't be called "punk" or "rock" without the prefix "pop." I don't think I'm saying that just because I don't like them.

NightSymphony

MBTI Type
IXTJ
I Enjoy:
[x] HardCore / Rock
[x] Techno / Trance
[x] Gothic Rock / Metal
[x] Classical / Instrumental

EX.: Run Away - Linkin Park, Vorbei - Nevada Tan, Listen to your Heart - DHT, Over the Hills and Far Away - NightWish, Angel's Holocaust - Iced Earth, Requiem for a Dream - Clint Mansell

I Do Not Enjoy:
[x] Pop / Hip Hop
[x] Rap / Free Style
[x] Video Game Music
[x] Hymns / Involving Religion

Last edited:

imanunderachieve

MBTI Type
ENTP
I mainly listen to alternative. I like powerpop too. Not pop, but powerpop. I can't stand metal. I don't mind country actually, but it's not my favorite.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
I especially like complicated music. Complicated/unusual. Rap is trash. All of it. Decidedly so. I don't particularly care for the music, but the culture that surrounds it is possibly the largest regression in history, including the meteor destroying the dinosaurs and earth having to start over evolving new creatures.

Jennifer and I would get along in our playing -- I like fucked up chords too. And odd time signatures.

@Jenny -- piano? Guitar? Sitar? What? Also, you say you only employ jazz chords -- do you mean that you graft them to another genre?

Also, just to be a prick to the listener, I occasionally cut off a bar in what feels like it ought to be an 8 bar phrase.

I can't really stand to listen to many things for too long, but some of the outstanding (IMO) works can never die.

Bands like Rush and Opeth are good examples. Dragonforce is not. Danzig is not.
Yngwie Malmsteen, while I detest his commonality (actually he started it, everyone's just copying him, but it still gets tired) can really play his fucking guitar. I take meticulous care not to listen to any other neo-classical metal, or power metal. I don't want them ruining what Yngwie has to offer. He's already on thin ice with his annoying stage moves.

Oh, and my affection for technical work and complicated music does not reflect in any way what I feel for music theory. It's a despicable groundwork to feed the self-important pseudo-sophisticated asshole musicians.

To be honest, I have no legitimate reason for hating music theory other than the kind of people who seem to boast their expertise as if it were credentials for superior musicianship; but alas they call it theory for a reason.
That and I failed a class.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
The RZA, the GZA and..............................the Ol' Dirty Chinese Restaurant.

Big fan of quality Hip Hop right here.

And Dave Chappelle :D

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
What do T's think of Leonard Cohen? :rofl1:

sriv

MBTI Type
JIxT
I like music with feeling. I like depressing songs because it makes me feel better about my situation. I like songs with good tunes and rhythms.

umop_3pisdn

MBTI Type
INTJ
IDM, Ambient, Classical, Neofolk, Dubstep, and Post-rock are my favorite genres right now.

Badlands

MBTI Type
INTP
I like music with feeling too, but there's very little that pains me to listen to. Modern country is pretty much it, because it's so contrived, fake, and plain IMO. Some of the more abrasive gangsta rap is up there too. As for music I like, it's pretty much every little nook and cranny of rock, from mainstream pop rock to post rock/indie to abrasive death metal.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
What do T's think of Leonard Cohen? :rofl1:

What is the joke on Cohen and T's?
I can't speak for all T's but I believe some of his songs are absolutely brilliant...