• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Rationals and music preferences

God Of Emptiness

MBTI Type
INTP
Hey MbtiC

Just out of interest what genres of music to you prefer, which ones are you not too fond of. Let's see if there's a correlation between music taste and MBTI. I'm sure a lot of you have already thought about this so let's hear some opinions.

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Classical music, Blues, Jazz, Rock, Hard-Rock, Heavy-Metal and Instrumental Rock

I don't care about the lyrics and I like to listen to technically proficient musicians.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Hey MbtiC

Just out of interest what genres of music to you prefer, which ones are you not too fond of. Let's see if there's a correlation between music taste and MBTI. I'm sure a lot of you have already thought about this so let's hear some opinions.
At the outset music is only about environment hence about culture.
It is only later in life you pick your choice.

My father strictly forbade me to listen to anything but Beethoven, Bach and Mozart.

When I was three years old I listened to Paul Dukas on the sly.
I did not care much for Beethoven in those days.

But of course my father was right.

JonJT

MBTI Type
INTP
I listen to everything except country music and most pop music.

I don't like country because the twang annoys me. I don't like most of the new pop music because of a stigma it hold. I find most pop music to be empty or lack depth in both the lyrics, the beat and the mastering process. The music is manufactured for a mass audience and is designed to sell sell sell. I find that a bit repulsive.

I've really been enjoying AC/DC, Erykah Badu, The Mars Volt and Cubanismo lately.

JonJT

MBTI Type
INTP
Classical music, Blues, Jazz, Rock, Hard-Rock, Heavy-Metal and Instrumental Rock

I don't care about the lyrics and I like to listen to technically proficient musicians.

Technically proficiency eh? A talented musician who is able to produce good instrumental music is fantastic I to derive joy from analyzing such things. But, injecting a bit of emotion into your listening experience can do wonders for mood and temperament. Sometimes just letting it flow is really really nice.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
My music evolves around progressive music, in a broad sense. That means bands like Tool, Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Pain of Salvation, dredg, Orphaned Land, Agalloch, Pink Floyd, Yes or Radiohead. I listen to some indie and alternative on the side. I had a big Mozart period once upon a time, and even if I don't listen too much to classical music these days, I am very open to it and respect and like it. I listened to the whole thing, from operas, to symphonies, to string quartets to death masses. :p I guess soundtrack music is a bit related to that, and I listen to some, like Clint Mansell or Howard Shore. I also like some singer-songwriters, like Nick Drake, Jeff Buckley or Tori Amos. There is some jazz, but not much. I am absolutely allergic to any music that feels cheap and shallow. I am mostly attracted to the music over the lyrics, and to emotional music rather than technical. I am very album oriented!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I hate country, because in general it doesn't involve a lot of technical proficiency. (Modern pop is somewhat this way too.)

Overall, I hate generic music with generic words that can all be interchanged with each other, and the more the music surprises me in the direction it goes, the better.

As long as something is done with excellence and skill, I love it -- even if it's rap. :blush:

Personally, I like to use odd/jazz-style chords in my own playing.

JonJT

MBTI Type
INTP
I hate country, because in general it doesn't involve a lot of technical proficiency. (Modern pop is somewhat this way too.)

Overall, I hate generic music with generic words that can all be interchanged with each other, and the more the music surprises me in the direction it goes, the better.

As long as something is done with excellence and skill, I love it -- even if it's rap. :blush:

Personally, I like to use odd/jazz-style chords in my own playing.

Do you have a desire for technically proficient music because the complicated chords, rhythms, verses, etc are pleasing to you? Or because the music comes off as intelligent and sophisticated thereby satisfying a need for intellectual stimulation?

I dislike pop music because of what the music industry has turned it into, but I don't feel there is anything wrong with "simple" music. Some of the music I like the most is very very simple.
The desire for an intellectually complex world seems to permeate everything and anything mbticentral members involve themselves in, including music. Even though I'm supposed to be INTP, I find this lack of emotion a bit unfortunate.

FallsPioneer

MBTI Type
INTJ
I've really been enjoying AC/DC, Erykah Badu, The Mars Volt and Cubanismo lately.

The Mars Volta is good, but sometimes they get boring; I can't consistently listen to them. I like/hate their longer songs too, like Cygnus and Cicatriz ESP.

dredg, Porcupine Tree, and Radiohead are awesome too.

Lyrics I do place a bit of a premium on, but it's not too important...I could always read a book if I wanted word artistry.

I like "different kinds of rock" and some jazz music, especially smooth jazz. The music I really like I consider to be atmospheric and deep. Classical music I can listen to and like, but I won't do it regularly. I have a thing for indie music, but I also haven't been band-hunting for a long time.

Some artists I like: Interpol, The Secret Machines, Jimmy Eat World, At The Drive-In (more than Mars Volta :D ), Sparta (more than Mars Volta :D ) Mew, The Dillinger Escape Plan (hate the lyrics), As Tall As Lions, Wilco, Sigur Ros, Fugazi, and Explosions In The Sky.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I like to listen to technically proficient musicians.
This is how I've always imagined T's would like music. By that I mean, emphasis on the technical skill, not so much the "soul" aspect.

Jennifer, about your comment about rap.

First, I'd like to say that I listen to a wide veriety of music including many things that are hip-hop and many things that have no relation to hip-hop whatsoever. Most of my favourite music is in the blues or jazz vain, or is based on it. But, my name, GZA, is the name of an MC, just so you know.

But yah, "even if its rap".... I just find that interesting because... what is there to be embarassed or apologetic about? I know you arn't apolgizing, but I'm just thinking about kind of a greater attitude many people in society have about rap music where they need to apologize or justify listning to it more than other styles.

I find it odd because to me, rap seems like a very natural thing. I'm suprised rapping wasn't invented thousands of years ago. Rap gets a bad reputation as being violent and shallow, but I think for every album with that kind of stuff there is another rapper wating in line saying something anti-violence and very productive. Sadly, they don't get much deserved attention. Actually a lot of the violent rappers also do things with anti-violence messages, or their violence-themed song really has an anti-violence message to it (i.e. portraying the state of inner cities as a way to expose it to the greater cultural conciousness).Its also sad that people have that misconception because really if anything the hip-hop culture is against violence.... I think it uses dancing and rapping as kind of a substitute, because those things can be competitive. Also, a lot of the stuff you see on TV about hip-hop, big cars, big silver chains, hoes, ect does not reflect the real hip-hop culture at all.

I really don't think critics of rap and hip-hop understand or even pay attention to it at all.

Hotherym

MBTI Type
INFU
I may be INFJ, but I've always had an unstoppable INTJ-like rational side to me. I like anything complex, from various Baroque, Romantic, Impressionistic and Contemporary era 'classical' music, to experimental electronic. My preference is generally for the latter, but I feel I can potentially appreciate any music or sounds, albeit critically.

Some of my all-time favourites are Autechre, Plaid, Bola, Venetian Snares, Björk, Aphex Twin, and more indie artists along those lines. I definitely do enjoy hip-hop or hip-hop influenced artists, like UNKLE/DJ Shadow, and other DJ work.

I generally stray from mainstream and avoid the radio, but if a song catches my ear, I'll take it.

God Of Emptiness

MBTI Type
INTP
Interesting so far...

I'm mainly into Heavy-Metal e.g Morbid Angel, Deicide, Emperor, Death ect ect but I also enjoy Psy-Trance to a certain extent.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
I guess Jamaican and Haitian music is all right- if and when it is performed by Danish aristocrats.
The melange of rhythm and refinement.

Classical music is not different. It is based on folk songs.

JonJT

MBTI Type
INTP
This is how I've always imagined T's would like music. By that I mean, emphasis on the technical skill, not so much the "soul" aspect.

Jennifer, about your comment about rap.

First, I'd like to say that I listen to a wide veriety of music including many things that are hip-hop and many things that have no relation to hip-hop whatsoever. Most of my favourite music is in the blues or jazz vain, or is based on it. But, my name, GZA, is the name of an MC, just so you know.

But yah, "even if its rap".... I just find that interesting because... what is there to be embarassed or apologetic about? I know you arn't apolgizing, but I'm just thinking about kind of a greater attitude many people in society have about rap music where they need to apologize or justify listning to it more than other styles.

I find it odd because to me, rap seems like a very natural thing. I'm suprised rapping wasn't invented thousands of years ago. Rap gets a bad reputation as being violent and shallow, but I think for every album with that kind of stuff there is another rapper wating in line saying something anti-violence and very productive. Sadly, they don't get much deserved attention. Actually a lot of the violent rappers also do things with anti-violence messages, or their violence-themed song really has an anti-violence message to it (i.e. portraying the state of inner cities as a way to expose it to the greater cultural conciousness).Its also sad that people have that misconception because really if anything the hip-hop culture is against violence.... I think it uses dancing and rapping as kind of a substitute, because those things can be competitive. Also, a lot of the stuff you see on TV about hip-hop, big cars, big silver chains, hoes, ect does not reflect the real hip-hop culture at all.

I really don't think critics of rap and hip-hop understand or even pay attention to it at all.

The RZA, the GZA and..............................the Ol' Dirty Chinese Restaurant.

Big fan of quality Hip Hop right here.

JonJT

MBTI Type
INTP
The Mars Volta is good, but sometimes they get boring; I can't consistently listen to them. I like/hate their longer songs too, like Cygnus and Cicatriz ESP.

dredg, Porcupine Tree, and Radiohead are awesome too.

Lyrics I do place a bit of a premium on, but it's not too important...I could always read a book if I wanted word artistry.

I like "different kinds of rock" and some jazz music, especially smooth jazz. The music I really like I consider to be atmospheric and deep. Classical music I can listen to and like, but I won't do it regularly. I have a thing for indie music, but I also haven't been band-hunting for a long time.

Some artists I like: Interpol, The Secret Machines, Jimmy Eat World, At The Drive-In (more than Mars Volta :D ), Sparta (more than Mars Volta :D ) Mew, The Dillinger Escape Plan (hate the lyrics), As Tall As Lions, Wilco, Sigur Ros, Fugazi, and Explosions In The Sky.

The Mars Volta is just the beginning of my foray into that kind of rock music. Compared to most of the "rock" music on the radio, I find The Mars Volta to be exciting and refreshing.

I'll have to check out some of the artists you mentioned in your post.

Camelopardalis

MBTI Type
INTJ
I love: Light rock, hard rock, classical and instrumental (yep, my favorite), pop, ballad, country, broadway and (hardly any) metal

I dislike: Metal in general (the screaming deafens me most of the time), Jazz (sorry, I just don't like it. No offense to anyone) songs that make no sense in their lyrics (not really a genre) and music with too many cuss words. One or two is fine, but I don't need it every other line.

Neutral: Alternative, Rap, Hip-Pop and Jazz (some)

Maybe it's just me among the many rationals, but I really do value lyrics. A song with exceptional lyrics and an above average melody/technique etc. would rank above a song with below average lyrics and an exceptional melody/technique. I would delete a song from my iPod that has horrible lyrics no matter how good the melody.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
I dislike: Metal in general (the screaming deafens me most of the time)

I agree that normal, cheesy metal sucks, but there is more out there. Try Blacwater Park (ranked as the 2nd best album in the 2000s on Rate Your Music, Blackwater Park by Opeth : Reviews and Ratings - Rate Your Music) by Opeth, and I think you will find metal can be sophisticated and ingenious as well.

I agree with your opinions of jazz though. It's not my thing either. It just feels too light or something. I guess I have been listening to too much heavy stuff.

MX5

MBTI Type
INTJ
Jazz (different genres); Weather Report, Joe Zawinul, Jean Luc Ponty, Spyro Gyra, Yellowjackets, Hiroshima, Najee, Keiko Matsui

Anime-based; Origa, Yoko Kanno, the Seatbelts

Classic Rock; Stones, Yes, Deep Purple, Led Zepplin, Jethro Tull (is that "rock"?)

Classical; Mozart, Handel, Hayden, Telemann, Bach

Blues; Freddie King, Muddy Waters, early Fleetwood Mac, Robert Johnson

???; Tracey Chapman, Joan Armatrading, Laurie Anderson, Everything But The Girl, Sade, Eryka Badu, Phyllis Hyman

60's; Marvellettes, Martha and the Vandellas, Dells, Contours, Everly Bros.

Camelopardalis

MBTI Type
INTJ
I agree that normal, cheesy metal sucks, but there is more out there. Try Blacwater Park (ranked as the 2nd best album in the 2000s on Rate Your Music, Blackwater Park by Opeth : Reviews and Ratings - Rate Your Music) by Opeth, and I think you will find metal can be sophisticated and ingenious as well.

I agree with your opinions of jazz though. It's not my thing either. It just feels too light or something. I guess I have been listening to too much heavy stuff.

I agree that there are good metal. In fact, some are my favorites. Do you listen to skillet? They're my favorite metal band, along with (possibly) My Chemical Romance (What are they, really? Metal, hard rock or alternative?) I'll try Blacwater Park. Thanks for the suggestion!

MX5

MBTI Type
INTJ
I dislike: Metal in general (the screaming deafens me most of the time), Jazz (sorry, I just don't like it. No offense to anyone)
...none taken.
Jazz, like many other musical styles has a wide range of sub-genres. From some stuff that can rival the most "metal" metal, to soft, fluffy things that would choke a buttefly. If you're willing to expand your horizons some, you might find something that suits your fancy.

But, we all have our own preferences and tastes. :headphne: