User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
    I agree that there are good metal. In fact, some are my favorites. Do you listen to skillet? They're my favorite metal band, along with (possibly) My Chemical Romance (What are they, really? Metal, hard rock or alternative?) I'll try Blacwater Park. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Sorry, but haven't heard Skillet, but from what I could find on them, they didn't seem to be metal. The most common My Chemical Romance tag on Last.fm is emo and rock, but quite big are also punk rock and alternative. According to Wikipedia they are alternative rock.

Quote Originally Posted by MX5 View Post
    ...none taken.

Jazz, like many other musical styles has a wide range of sub-genres. From some stuff that can rival the most "metal" metal, to soft, fluffy things that would choke a buttefly. If you're willing to expand your horizons some, you might find something that suits your fancy.

But, we all have our own preferences and tastes.
    I didn't say jazz was bad or anything, but I find it hard to get into for some reason. I am not a metal guy, I am a modern progressive rock guy. On my computer I mostly have jazz classics, like the albums A Love Supreme and Kind of Blue and some Chet Baker, Joe Lovano, Pat Metheny and some jazz fusion by Frank Zappa and Al Di Meola. I respect all of this stuff and think it is good music, but so far I haven't felt it fits me 100 %. But sure, what kinds of heavier jazz do you recommend? By the way, a lot of the progressive stuff I listen to is jazz influenced, which I love. There is tons of music out there to explore, and it is impossible to explore it all. I am open to jazz, but it is not the main direction in which I have explored.

MBTI
    INTJ

Besides the Pop'ish music, I enjoy composers like John Williams and Jerry Goldsmith.

My all-time favorites are: Bach, Vivaldi, Tchaikovsky, Beethoven, Dvorak, Stravinsky, Mozart and Handel. Bach was a quite recent addition I just found it in myself to appreciate his Claviers because I'm playing them. He used to be so boring to me.

MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj

Technical proficiency and soul are not mutually exclusive.

See: Django Reinhardt or The Tony Rice Unit.

Or hear, rather....
    Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings...Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king

Even as a T, I am more drawn to the soul than the technical proficiency. While I can appreciate a tremendous instrumentalist (Jack White is God), I believe in the DIY aesthetic.

My favorite genres are blues, 60s soul, and hard rock/light metal. I tend to dislike modern mainstream country, gangsta rap and dance/trance/ambient. When I was a teenager, I was crazy about progressive rock like Genesis, Yes and Rush, but that's faded as I've gotten older. I still enjoy those bands, but mostly out of nostalgia. I can't imagine that I would get turned on to a new progressive rock band today (unless Muse counts).

MBTI
    INTJ

Lately I've been listening to a lot of experimental electronic music. Most notably autechre. I've been kind of obsessed with their music for a while now, I think they are more or less genius.

I also really enjoy Venetian Snares, as well as some dark ambient music such as Atrium Carceri, Kammarheit, or Sombrous. In terms of more classically styled music, I haven't been exposed to a whole lot. Though I really enjoy everything I've heard by Arvo Part.

I tend to like instrumental music. I like the ability of music to inspire feelings and such without words. Sometimes music can inspire emotions one was not sure one could otherwise feel. For some reason I tend to prefer darker/colder sounds, because when employed well, the music often strikes me as more philosophical or poignant, or something. I'm kind of mistrustful of the more cheery musical offerings.

I also tend to prefer electronic and highly distorted or mechanical sounds to traditional instruments. Not like happy trancey stuff, more along the line of glitch or experimental.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    While I can appreciate a tremendous instrumentalist (Jack White is God), I believe in the DIY aesthetic.
    Jack White is technically incompetent and his lyrics serve only to veil how little he has to say.

Kurt Cobain became a rock musician because he needed the outlet. Jack White became one because he liked the idea of being a rock musician. Only Guns 'n Roses eclipse the White Stripes as an inexcusably lauded imitation of a rock group.

MBTI
    INTJ

I like music I can identify with. But most importantly, I like music that evokes emotion and music that sounds powerful. I like everything from Rap to Metal to Electronic. And like umop_3pisdn said, I prefer it dark.

Virgin Black -Lacrimosa

E Nomine -Das Boese Very Dark and Powerful!

Suicide Commando - Sterbehilfe

Unter Null - Sick Fuck (Sadist Version)

Ludacris Ft. Young Buck - Grew Up A Screw Up

Saviour Machine - Legend I
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    Jack White is technically incompetent and his lyrics serve only to veil how little he has to say.

Kurt Cobain became a rock musician because he needed the outlet. Jack White became one because he liked the idea of being a rock musician. Only Guns 'n Roses eclipse the White Stripes as an inexcusably lauded imitation of a rock group.
    Guns 'N Roses is one of my favorite groups as well, so I think it's fair to say that two INTJs can have wildly different outlooks and opinions in regard to the music they enjoy.

MBTI
    INTP

My favorites:
    The Apples in Stereo
    M.I.A.
    Louis XIV
    Amy Winehouse
    The Spinto Band
    The Unicorns
    Mika
    Be Your Own Pet
    Tullycraft
    The Boy Least Likely To

I do like really obvious mainstream pop as well, however. Not all of it, but real pure pop like Britney Spears.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Splittet View Post
    The most common My Chemical Romance tag on Last.fm is emo and rock, but quite big are also punk rock and alternative. According to Wikipedia they are alternative rock.
    I'm call them pop punk... they can't be called "punk" or "rock" without the prefix "pop." I don't think I'm saying that just because I don't like them.