User Tag List

First 1234 Last

I may be INFJ, but I've always had an unstoppable INTJ-like rational side to me. I like anything complex, from various Baroque, Romantic, Impressionistic and Contemporary era 'classical' music, to experimental electronic. My preference is generally for the latter, but I feel I can potentially appreciate any music or sounds, albeit critically.

Some of my all-time favourites are Autechre, Plaid, Bola, Venetian Snares, Björk, Aphex Twin, and more indie artists along those lines. I definitely do enjoy hip-hop or hip-hop influenced artists, like UNKLE/DJ Shadow, and other DJ work.

I generally stray from mainstream and avoid the radio, but if a song catches my ear, I'll take it.

MBTI
    INTP

Interesting so far...

I'm mainly into Heavy-Metal e.g Morbid Angel, Deicide, Emperor, Death ect ect but I also enjoy Psy-Trance to a certain extent.
    Inno A Satana

I:11% Intuitive:88% Thinking:62% Perceiving: 67%

MBTI
    INTP

I guess Jamaican and Haitian music is all right- if and when it is performed by Danish aristocrats.
    The melange of rhythm and refinement.

Classical music is not different. It is based on folk songs.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by GZA View Post
    This is how I've always imagined T's would like music. By that I mean, emphasis on the technical skill, not so much the "soul" aspect.

Jennifer, about your comment about rap.

First, I'd like to say that I listen to a wide veriety of music including many things that are hip-hop and many things that have no relation to hip-hop whatsoever. Most of my favourite music is in the blues or jazz vain, or is based on it. But, my name, GZA, is the name of an MC, just so you know.

But yah, "even if its rap".... I just find that interesting because... what is there to be embarassed or apologetic about? I know you arn't apolgizing, but I'm just thinking about kind of a greater attitude many people in society have about rap music where they need to apologize or justify listning to it more than other styles.

I find it odd because to me, rap seems like a very natural thing. I'm suprised rapping wasn't invented thousands of years ago. Rap gets a bad reputation as being violent and shallow, but I think for every album with that kind of stuff there is another rapper wating in line saying something anti-violence and very productive. Sadly, they don't get much deserved attention. Actually a lot of the violent rappers also do things with anti-violence messages, or their violence-themed song really has an anti-violence message to it (i.e. portraying the state of inner cities as a way to expose it to the greater cultural conciousness).Its also sad that people have that misconception because really if anything the hip-hop culture is against violence.... I think it uses dancing and rapping as kind of a substitute, because those things can be competitive. Also, a lot of the stuff you see on TV about hip-hop, big cars, big silver chains, hoes, ect does not reflect the real hip-hop culture at all.

I really don't think critics of rap and hip-hop understand or even pay attention to it at all.
    The RZA, the GZA and..............................the Ol' Dirty Chinese Restaurant.

Big fan of quality Hip Hop right here.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by FallsPioneer View Post
    The Mars Volta is good, but sometimes they get boring; I can't consistently listen to them. I like/hate their longer songs too, like Cygnus and Cicatriz ESP.

dredg, Porcupine Tree, and Radiohead are awesome too.

Lyrics I do place a bit of a premium on, but it's not too important...I could always read a book if I wanted word artistry.

I like "different kinds of rock" and some jazz music, especially smooth jazz. The music I really like I consider to be atmospheric and deep. Classical music I can listen to and like, but I won't do it regularly. I have a thing for indie music, but I also haven't been band-hunting for a long time.

Some artists I like: Interpol, The Secret Machines, Jimmy Eat World, At The Drive-In (more than Mars Volta ), Sparta (more than Mars Volta ) Mew, The Dillinger Escape Plan (hate the lyrics), As Tall As Lions, Wilco, Sigur Ros, Fugazi, and Explosions In The Sky.
    The Mars Volta is just the beginning of my foray into that kind of rock music. Compared to most of the "rock" music on the radio, I find The Mars Volta to be exciting and refreshing.

I'll have to check out some of the artists you mentioned in your post.

MBTI
    INTJ

I love: Light rock, hard rock, classical and instrumental (yep, my favorite), pop, ballad, country, broadway and (hardly any) metal

I dislike: Metal in general (the screaming deafens me most of the time), Jazz (sorry, I just don't like it. No offense to anyone) songs that make no sense in their lyrics (not really a genre) and music with too many cuss words. One or two is fine, but I don't need it every other line.

Neutral: Alternative, Rap, Hip-Pop and Jazz (some)

Maybe it's just me among the many rationals, but I really do value lyrics. A song with exceptional lyrics and an above average melody/technique etc. would rank above a song with below average lyrics and an exceptional melody/technique. I would delete a song from my iPod that has horrible lyrics no matter how good the melody.
    I: 78% N: 88% T: 66% J: 44%
    Enneagram: The Reformer/The Investigator
    Global 5:RCOEI

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
    I dislike: Metal in general (the screaming deafens me most of the time)
    I agree that normal, cheesy metal sucks, but there is more out there. Try Blacwater Park (ranked as the 2nd best album in the 2000s on Rate Your Music, Blackwater Park by Opeth : Reviews and Ratings - Rate Your Music) by Opeth, and I think you will find metal can be sophisticated and ingenious as well.

I agree with your opinions of jazz though. It's not my thing either. It just feels too light or something. I guess I have been listening to too much heavy stuff.

MBTI
    INTJ

Jazz (different genres); Weather Report, Joe Zawinul, Jean Luc Ponty, Spyro Gyra, Yellowjackets, Hiroshima, Najee, Keiko Matsui

Anime-based; Origa, Yoko Kanno, the Seatbelts

Classic Rock; Stones, Yes, Deep Purple, Led Zepplin, Jethro Tull (is that "rock"?)

Classical; Mozart, Handel, Hayden, Telemann, Bach

Blues; Freddie King, Muddy Waters, early Fleetwood Mac, Robert Johnson

???; Tracey Chapman, Joan Armatrading, Laurie Anderson, Everything But The Girl, Sade, Eryka Badu, Phyllis Hyman

60's; Marvellettes, Martha and the Vandellas, Dells, Contours, Everly Bros.
    MBC - writing bad poetry, kickin' ass.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Splittet View Post
    I agree that normal, cheesy metal sucks, but there is more out there. Try Blacwater Park (ranked as the 2nd best album in the 2000s on Rate Your Music, Blackwater Park by Opeth : Reviews and Ratings - Rate Your Music) by Opeth, and I think you will find metal can be sophisticated and ingenious as well.

I agree with your opinions of jazz though. It's not my thing either. It just feels too light or something. I guess I have been listening to too much heavy stuff.
    I agree that there are good metal. In fact, some are my favorites. Do you listen to skillet? They're my favorite metal band, along with (possibly) My Chemical Romance (What are they, really? Metal, hard rock or alternative?) I'll try Blacwater Park. Thanks for the suggestion!
    I: 78% N: 88% T: 66% J: 44%
    Enneagram: The Reformer/The Investigator
    Global 5:RCOEI

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
    I dislike: Metal in general (the screaming deafens me most of the time), Jazz (sorry, I just don't like it. No offense to anyone)
    ...none taken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Splittet View Post
    Jazz, like many other musical styles has a wide range of sub-genres. From some stuff that can rival the most "metal" metal, to soft, fluffy things that would choke a buttefly. If you're willing to expand your horizons some, you might find something that suits your fancy.

But, we all have our own preferences and tastes.
    MBC - writing bad poetry, kickin' ass.