• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] I *LOVE* one type of social interaction (INTP)

ocean

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
67sx
I think the reason I've never been so interested in social stuff is that I haven't been able to cover the role I was supposed to. After all one feels comfortable in a social setting when they are allowed to be themselves AND when people can see who this "self" really is.

Having amassed a staggering amount of knowledge like most INTPs my age (now a decrepit 33), I slowly started to have a following. Friends would repeat my ideas, and unknown people would contact me saying they've heard about my great thoughts from some common friend. I was completely uninterested in this at the time but slowly I grew into this role.

Eventually I started feeling that it's very fulfilling for me to cover these roles:

- mentor
- sage
- thought leader
- revolutionary
- moral authority

So I suspect now that the reason I didn't engage so much with other people was that I wasn't given a chance to cover this preferred social role.

To tell you the truth, I *love* to talk to people about good and evil, what's important on a cosmic scale and so forth. I love to talk about how society malfunctions and why. When I do do, I'm not just expounding my knowledge as any INTP would explain quantum computers or some other system. This is actually passionate social fervor in me. I can talk to a crowd without feeling insecure as long as the strength of the ideas is backing me. I am just like a loudspeaker for truth and good.

Can anyone relate?

Stevo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Well, sort of. If I'm at a natural history museum, I will enthusiastically lecture to all of my friends about every little detail in the paleontology and mineralogy exhibits. I love sharing my knowledge with others when I'm in a context where I am reasonably confident of what I know. Whether my friends actually want to hear this or not is another story.

Reflection

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I'm like Stevo in this one. Except for me it's literary criticism that's my thing. I could go on for hours about a specific book, regardless of whether people want to hear it or not. Music, as well, fits into this.

I need to be confident in what I know in order to share. I won't share half-formed thoughts and information I'm not sure of. I need to look at something at every possible angle, analyze it and then break into small parts to be able to transfer my knowledge efficiently to other people. My students (I tutor in English and Literature one on one or in small groups) generally like me, even if I'm a bit distracted and can go on to the most absurd tangents (sometimes I just pick up on a thought and see where it leads through animated discussion - the only time I'm comfortable discussing something without facts).

I'll lead only when I'm sure of something and when I think there's no other choice but for me to lead. I usually end up in the 'whispering assistant' role, where I'm much more the power behind the throne rather than the actual throne. I dislike being in the center of attention and much prefer expressing my ideas anonymously - which is why the Internet appeals to me so much.

Mentor is something I can see myself being and probably already am, I just don't fully realize it yet. Friends turn to me for advice all the time. They call me 'the walking encyclopedia' and call me whenever there's a problem they can't solve. I'm not very good with the touchy-feely business, but if you're looking for a logical, if somewhat out there, solution, I'm your girl.

As far as the good and evil discussions go, I love getting input from other people who think differently from me. I tend to think of the world in shades of gray and reckon there's a bit of evil in each of us. I love expounding on my ideas and sharing conclusions I've come to with like minded friends as well as friends who may have different ideas and solutions. I'll never close the chapter on something - there's always a path that hasn't been explored for me, always something new to add to the repository of knowledge in my brain.

Was there anything else you'd like me to add, you talkative INTP, you?

ocean

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
67sx
I will continue my self description based on what was written, just to see if there are more similarities or dissimilarities. Well, talking with INTPs is great, I'd invite you all over if I weren't in China momentarily.

Basically all INTPs like to talk about something they know about, and show other people what's interesting about it. I think we have the existential loneliness of the lonely traveler. We go to fantastic places, and can't take anyone with us. When we come back with our tales, they are too far out to be understood. Anyone relates to this?

In my case though there's a big difference between talking about one particular interesting subject that I happen to be passionate about in that moment, and, the public image I described in this thread. This role I am describing, that of the revolutionary prophet, has a very strong social component to it. I wish people listened, I wish people cared, I wish we could turn into a force for good. The affect (and effect) is quite different from just talking about some abstract topic.

Actually now that I think of it even when I talk about some particular topic it always has some sort of cosmic relevance to it. For instance... I am very interested in electronic product manufacturing right now; circuit board assembly, plastic mold creation and so forth. This stuff is seriously cool because I can make gadgets of all sorts, looking totally professional. I feel very fulfilled when I create. However I don't for a second fancy talking to people about this sort of stuff. On the other side of the spectrum I just found out that prime numbers exhibit a pattern and I'm eager to tell everyone. Primes are the building blocks of all numbers, and the fact they have a sort of geometric pattern seems to express something fundamental about the universe. Same with subjective consciousness, the anthropic principle, the singularity, cryonics... totally cosmically meaningful.

But to come back to my main point, when there's a cause to fight for, and some evil to be defeated by enhancing the virtue of the group, all social dynamics fall into place for me. Some primitives: the need for the utmost integrity... giving a good example... making people discover the good and strength in their hearts... understanding their innermost wishes... unlocking their potential... I almost become a goddarn social worker ?

Other areas that I may talk about to people don't carry the same "social integration" value.

It's hard to make this make sense, because, once again, I'm neglecting eating. I've been hungry for some time and it only just escalated to a conscious thought. I need to cook something. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to wash the filthy dishes. Think of it washing dirty dishes is a bona fide deterrent to eating anything...

Reflection

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
The lonely traveller? Sounds a bit like romanticizing our vision of ourselves. But I'm inclined to agree with you - it seems as if we're destined to always be misunderstood or not understood at all. Sometimes I think we should try harder at relating to people (I'm basing this on myself), take an interest in what they're doing, stop sharing stories people will never understand. But I don't think it's viable; I think we'll always be on the outside looking in, the stranger with great tales that no one ever gets. I cannot stop sharing my experiences, my theories and tales, just as I cannot stop being who I am. It's ingrained in me, this feeling that everyone ought to understand what I'm saying, especially if it's, as you say, of social importance.

There's a lot we as a whole still don't understand, why not take an interest into something that's important to us as a society? If I tell you about a new scientific theory, why wouldn't you pay attention? But people don't, the people I'm surrounded with are interested in the now, in living in the moment. They think it obsolete to ponder problems that may arise, but aren't yet here. Abstract concepts are beyond them.

Unlocking the potential of people around me is something I love doing. I may not relate well to their feelings, but I can certainly try to bring out the best in them. I like to challenge people, make them think on their own. Question their position in the society, try and make them fulfill their potential. I cannot stand ignorance, so possibly this is just a way for me to ensure I surround myself with interesting, intelligent people.

Now I'm looking at what I wrote and thinking to myself it sounds rather maudlin. Meh. Right now it's raining and my knee aches - I can't help being introspective.

On the other side of the spectrum I just found out that prime numbers exhibit a pattern and I'm eager to tell everyone. Primes are the building blocks of all numbers, and the fact they have a sort of geometric pattern seems to express something fundamental about the universe. Same with subjective consciousness, the anthropic principle, the singularity, cryonics... totally cosmically meaningful.

Another INTP with a love for prime numbers! Nobody understands my fascination with primes IRL. I don't believe they hold the answer to everything, but they are just so interesting and so mysterious I can't help but think there's a hidden knowledge waiting for us if we ever figure out how they function.

It's hard to make this make sense, because, once again, I'm neglecting eating. I've been hungry for some time and it only just escalated to a conscious thought. I need to cook something. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to wash the filthy dishes. Think of it washing dirty dishes is a bona fide deterrent to eating anything...

:laugh: I know how you feel. I did my dishes earlier, though. Now I just have to eat something.

ocean

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
67sx
Typing night

Seems tonight is typing night as my increasingly tenacious attempts to socialize, which resulted in a tentative appointment with some guys from the Philippines, have been sabotaged by flakiness without even a phone call to cancel.

Lonely traveler (I think it's traveler in US English and traveller in UK English, you used two Ls so you're from the UK?) : I meant that quite literally. A lot of people think... scratch that... have the impression that being intellectual means fondling one's genitalia with books. They do not get it. They need to SEE, HEAR and TOUCH to experience something. I (and maybe all NTs?) can get feelings using only my mind. One talks of geology. Blah blah boring old rocks. No... the feeling of being inside the time machine. The vertigo that comes from really trying to conceptualize billions of years. The tragedy of animal life on this planet, the endless dog-eat-dog chain due only to polypeptides sticking together irrationally... and only a fossile remains, of all the aspirations and tears of one life. If I think about the storm on Jupiter that's 3 times the size of the earth it's like being there in the gaseous clouds... I literally travel to virtual realities within my mind, and they're so mind blowing and spectacular that I *have* to grab people by the neck and snatch them away from their grey lives of trivial chatter and babbling and covert social manipulation and breeding and take them with me. Here, I shout in their ears as I shake them around, do you see the hydrogen, eh? Do you see the thunder? That's 5 million volts for you beitch. Now how important is your dinner with friends? Heh? HEH??? :) But they reply with a blank stare. They do not see. But... but... the hydrogen... H... you know, light element, formed early... no, nothing. Ok then. I swallow that and go on in solitary awe to my next destination.

I don't feel like I'm on the outside looking in. I feel like they're inside a cell and not wanting to look out. Human life is vulgar, short, violent, frightening and incoherent - but ideas are majestic, eternal. I remember briefly discussing this with an ISFP. Since that type so much likes sensations and feelings I thought it was my duty to show them how much stuff they can sense and feel if they can learn to use the mind - not the eye - as an "antenna". She seemed interested. When I showed some pictures, and explained what it is like for me to go places, she had a beginning of an intuition that she's missing out big time. But, we can't go there together. Just as I'm about to present a very important conclusion I just arrived at, to get to which I had been talking for the past 20 minutes giving her a background in that area, she interrupts me. LOOK! What? I say. What can possibly be more important than this tendency of human beings to fall for dictatorships which I am so precisely nailing here for you? She says, A BIG DOG! A dog, says I. You interrupt me for a dog? "But... it's so big!!!". Lonely traveler.

Now you say "why wouldn't you pay attention" to a scientific theory or an idea. That's a very important question which I have asked myself many many times so I've got plenty of answers.

First, people are interested in the here and now because our ancestral environment did not favor long term planning. It was too violent, dangerous and our existence precarious.

Second, you give for granted that other people have a background sufficient to see the content of your ideas as relevant. Most likely NTs cannot fathom the true depth of the ignorance of those who are around them. These are people who mostly do not know we're made of cells, do not know what DNA is, or how the solar system is laid out, or any of the basic scientific framework on which we base our model of reality. Look up "americans are not stupid" on youtube. Some people don't know which state kentucky fried chicken came from. They think triangles have no sides. The berlin wall... no idea where that was. Hiroshima and nagasaki were famous for sumo wrestling. Buddhist monks are muslim. To be fair, some other people made similar videos in other countries and it turns out most people everywhere have similar knowledge of the world (though Americans are just so spontaneous in making stuff up that they crack me up the most).

Third, the only reason we value ideas is that our type makes of ideas our primary mode of survival. Animals are generally uninterested in things that do not change the survival of their genes. Turtles don't care for fish food, zebras don't care about migratory seasons, feelers don't care about ideas. They rely on support and positioning within the social network to pass on their genes. The whole game for them is moving people, not moving ideas or machines. Their game works better than ours. The numbers talk.

Fourth, abstraction is a main prerogative of thinkers. Without a developed T, abstract thoughts cannot be processed by the brain. Most scientific theories, if not all, are abstract. NTs do not realize how poor the average person's capacity to understand or formulate abstract thoughts is. Just ask someone to tell you something abstract (a favorite test of mine). Chances are they can't define abstract or give you an example of something that is. One should also add since we talk about theories, that the common person knows not the meaning of "theory" - for them it's something made up which one may subscribe to on a voluntary basis depending on how comfortable that theory makes them feel. After all their convictions are based on total crap and politician doublespeak, why should they give a mere "theory" any credit, such as the personal opinions of Charles Darwin?

Fifth, relevance for most people is given by familiarity and frequency of occurrence in their lives. You can't convince people to prepare for earthquakes until they occur, or unless you can sensitize them with continuous media exposure, or show them images and music and give them SENSORY GROUNDING for this concept. Same way, you can't tell people the speed of light is important because even though it may affect their life directly (satellite communications latency) they don't feel familiar with it (can't see it, no sensory grounding).

Ok that's a lot of reasons. As INTPs age, the definition of "stupid" that we apply to other people gets more and more refined. And I don't know if I am talking about "them" in terms of non-INTPs, non INTxs, non NTs or non Polymaths. What I'm sure about is that there are "thems" out there and they are voracious and indestructible.

About prime numbers. Something's cheesy. Ulam's spiral plotted in black/white pixels looks like a bitmap opened in the wrong format in a paint program. Like some well behaved shape projected in the wrong way. And why can their frequency be predicted easily but not their position?

I daydream about finding some way to map them so that they will give a discernible shape. Or put the data into an audio program and play it back and hear "ah ah ah you you little f**kers!!!!" :) Just imagine that!!!

Finally, this question of prime numbers opens up the possibility: could there be different kinds of math? Different distributions of primes? Could there be a technology by which we can manipulate existence at such a basic level that the laws of mathematics change? Could 2+1=5? What then?

Abstract mathematics has to relate to subjective consciousness at some point.

Alright, now my body informs me that it's been overheating for the past 20 minutes and it's in a bath of sweat and I need to turn on the aircon. Always punctual with these reminders...

Reflection

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Seems tonight is typing night as my increasingly tenacious attempts to socialize, which resulted in a tentative appointment with some guys from the Philippines, have been sabotaged by flakiness without even a phone call to cancel.

I should be studying the history of comparative literature in Croatia (that's also an answer for your question below, I'm not British - but most of my classes at the university are held in BrE - and Jeeves and Wooster is currently on TV so the background noise is probably influencing my mindspeak). But you're very interesting, so I'll try to address some of your points right now (even though I might not be as coherent as I'd probably like).

Lonely traveler (I think it's traveler in US English and traveller in UK English, you used two Ls so you're from the UK?) : I meant that quite literally. A lot of people think... scratch that... have the impression that being intellectual means fondling one's genitalia with books. They do not get it. They need to SEE, HEAR and TOUCH to experience something. I (and maybe all NTs?) can get feelings using only my mind. One talks of geology. Blah blah boring old rocks. No... the feeling of being inside the time machine. The vertigo that comes from really trying to conceptualize billions of years. The tragedy of animal life on this planet, the endless dog-eat-dog chain due only to polypeptides sticking together irrationally... and only a fossile remains, of all the aspirations and tears of one life. If I think about the storm on Jupiter that's 3 times the size of the earth it's like being there in the gaseous clouds... I literally travel to virtual realities within my mind, and they're so mind blowing and spectacular that I *have* to grab people by the neck and snatch them away from their grey lives of trivial chatter and babbling and covert social manipulation and breeding and take them with me. Here, I shout in their ears as I shake them around, do you see the hydrogen, eh? Do you see the thunder? That's 5 million volts for you beitch. Now how important is your dinner with friends? Heh? HEH??? :) But they reply with a blank stare. They do not see. But... but... the hydrogen... H... you know, light element, formed early... no, nothing. Ok then. I swallow that and go on in solitary awe to my next destination.

I tried to explain to a friend recently how I think. When I think about something, I think about the way it was, the way it is and the way it will be. I place myself inside this phenomenon, I imagine what it would be like to experience it and then I find myself gasping in awe at the universe around us. I think you described it really well and I can grasp what you're getting at. It's like they lack the ability to experience it if it's not happening right now, if it's not something they can see, hear, smell or touch. I get the feeling that they cannot imagine the flow of a planet, the rise of the continents, the shifting of the earth underneath your feet as you visualise the passage of time.

I don't feel like I'm on the outside looking in. I feel like they're inside a cell and not wanting to look out. Human life is vulgar, short, violent, frightening and incoherent - but ideas are majestic, eternal. I remember briefly discussing this with an ISFP. Since that type so much likes sensations and feelings I thought it was my duty to show them how much stuff they can sense and feel if they can learn to use the mind - not the eye - as an "antenna". She seemed interested. When I showed some pictures, and explained what it is like for me to go places, she had a beginning of an intuition that she's missing out big time. But, we can't go there together. Just as I'm about to present a very important conclusion I just arrived at, to get to which I had been talking for the past 20 minutes giving her a background in that area, she interrupts me. LOOK! What? I say. What can possibly be more important than this tendency of human beings to fall for dictatorships which I am so precisely nailing here for you? She says, A BIG DOG! A dog, says I. You interrupt me for a dog? "But... it's so big!!!". Lonely traveler.

It can get frustrating at times, dealing with people who cannot grasp abstract concepts. I agree with you that ideas are majestic and eternal. I want to add something else to this, but I cannot remember now what it was I wanted to say. :huh: Maybe I'll think of it later.

Now you say "why wouldn't you pay attention" to a scientific theory or an idea. That's a very important question which I have asked myself many many times so I've got plenty of answers.

First, people are interested in the here and now because our ancestral environment did not favor long term planning. It was too violent, dangerous and our existence precarious.

Second, you give for granted that other people have a background sufficient to see the content of your ideas as relevant. Most likely NTs cannot fathom the true depth of the ignorance of those who are around them. These are people who mostly do not know we're made of cells, do not know what DNA is, or how the solar system is laid out, or any of the basic scientific framework on which we base our model of reality. Look up "americans are not stupid" on youtube. Some people don't know which state kentucky fried chicken came from. They think triangles have no sides. The berlin wall... no idea where that was. Hiroshima and nagasaki were famous for sumo wrestling. Buddhist monks are muslim. To be fair, some other people made similar videos in other countries and it turns out most people everywhere have similar knowledge of the world (though Americans are just so spontaneous in making stuff up that they crack me up the most).

That is something I truly cannot comprehend. And it frustrates me when I have to explain the simplest, most basic concepts to people because they can't follow my subsequent forays into theoretical discussions. I'll give up if I don't think it's worth it, but if I see that the person has potential, I'll try and give an overview of whatever topic I'm trying to expound on at the moment.

Third, the only reason we value ideas is that our type makes of ideas our primary mode of survival. Animals are generally uninterested in things that do not change the survival of their genes. Turtles don't care for fish food, zebras don't care about migratory seasons, feelers don't care about ideas. They rely on support and positioning within the social network to pass on their genes. The whole game for them is moving people, not moving ideas or machines. Their game works better than ours. The numbers talk.

Fourth, abstraction is a main prerogative of thinkers. Without a developed T, abstract thoughts cannot be processed by the brain. Most scientific theories, if not all, are abstract. NTs do not realize how poor the average person's capacity to understand or formulate abstract thoughts is. Just ask someone to tell you something abstract (a favorite test of mine). Chances are they can't define abstract or give you an example of something that is. One should also add since we talk about theories, that the common person knows not the meaning of "theory" - for them it's something made up which one may subscribe to on a voluntary basis depending on how comfortable that theory makes them feel. After all their convictions are based on total crap and politician doublespeak, why should they give a mere "theory" any credit, such as the personal opinions of Charles Darwin?

Scientific theories are sets of principles which explain phenomena that has been observed. The word 'theory' does not mean there is any doubt as to how it functions. A scientific theory is not a set of principles that says how things are and how they can be done - rather, it has to claim that something cannot be done, it has to be sure that something cannot happen. Newton's gravitational theory works because it specifically says that humans cannot fall off the face of the Earth because of the gravitational forces - this is an observable phenomenon. There is no place for doubt in this.

Now try to explain it to people. *sigh*

Fifth, relevance for most people is given by familiarity and frequency of occurrence in their lives. You can't convince people to prepare for earthquakes until they occur, or unless you can sensitize them with continuous media exposure, or show them images and music and give them SENSORY GROUNDING for this concept. Same way, you can't tell people the speed of light is important because even though it may affect their life directly (satellite communications latency) they don't feel familiar with it (can't see it, no sensory grounding).

Ok that's a lot of reasons. As INTPs age, the definition of "stupid" that we apply to other people gets more and more refined. And I don't know if I am talking about "them" in terms of non-INTPs, non INTxs, non NTs or non Polymaths. What I'm sure about is that there are "thems" out there and they are voracious and indestructible.

I don't think in terms of types, but I'm pretty sure as an N I would have a hard time understanding and making myself understandable to a Sensor. Also, in my experience, they're just not interested.

About prime numbers. Something's cheesy. Ulam's spiral plotted in black/white pixels looks like a bitmap opened in the wrong format in a paint program. Like some well behaved shape projected in the wrong way. And why can their frequency be predicted easily but not their position?

I daydream about finding some way to map them so that they will give a discernible shape. Or put the data into an audio program and play it back and hear "ah ah ah you you little f**kers!!!!" :) Just imagine that!!!

Finally, this question of prime numbers opens up the possibility: could there be different kinds of math? Different distributions of primes? Could there be a technology by which we can manipulate existence at such a basic level that the laws of mathematics change? Could 2+1=5? What then?

Abstract mathematics has to relate to subjective consciousness at some point.

Primes are little mysteries wrapped in enigmas. So many questions about them and so little answers. Of course, they could just as easily be playing as instructions from Satan backwards. :laugh: Not that I believe in Satan, but one never knows.

Alright, now my body informs me that it's been overheating for the past 20 minutes and it's in a bath of sweat and I need to turn on the aircon. Always punctual with these reminders...

At least you can always count on your body to remind you when something's wrong. I've now eaten and am prepared for anything. If only it would stop raining...

ocean

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
67sx
misc

Comparative literature... Let's play a game, can you make it interesting in 3 sentences?

About everything else, we think too similarly. It's almost like we're two citizens of a future society who meet in the past and discuss common sense but it's not common sense in the time in which they meet. But we still like to discuss it just to make sure we're not crazy when everyone else doesn't agree.

My challenge ahead is to get to sleep. I will try 100 positions. They will all be too uncomfortable. The bed's too hard and I'm not buying another mattress because I'm leaving here soon. One position will squeeze my jaw, one will hurt my arm, another will make it too hard to breathe. The temperature will be wrong, too hot or too cold, possibly both in alternation or even at the same time. I will try face down, face up, face hanging outside the bed. Hugging pillow, two pillows, one pillow under the arm. There will be noises describing a boring but dynamic outside world. Furniture moving from upstairs. Cars honking, neighbor putting the smack down on wife and children, the wind. Rain? Sounds like a cheap new age CD with forest sounds that fat chicks buy at shopping malls.

My mind will have the most wonderful and compelling ideas, which demand urgent attention, at least enough to be remembered, sometimes some quick pre-planning. When I try to sleep and I shut down all sensory inputs I find ways to fight the system, I interpret conversations from that week and suddenly understand the real meaning of what people said or their covert motives.

It's like a 747 that needs to stop but can't do it very quickly and it needs a looong landing strip. Using a pc at night is not good. I should be relaxing. I have no clue how to relax.

Watching movies used to help but recently I get so irritated at how stupid they are - besides you can't pick something that doesn't have scenes of heavy torture, mutilation, decapitation, crucifixion, or worse. It's not a fictional list this is all stuff in the 5 most recent trash movies I've watched. So I no longer watch movies if I can help it. Wikipedia... nah - I will try to browse something apparently boring enough to be able to sleep like abstract algebra, and find out something insanely interesting like Ulam's spiral and next thing I know it's 4am and I'm sleepy but hungry so then I have to go cook something and there's nothing in the fridge...

I seriously have to master mind control. Shutting down the mind, emptying the awareness, visualizing the universe as a 10 meter sphere with only a ball inside, moving slowly. Ok, it moved. What now. Oh, the other way. Ok. Oscillatory motion, x=sin(theta). Shut up don't think about math. Ball, keep moving. Ok, right again. Hmm let's try counting. 1...2...3...475... this is not working.

One thing that used to work like magic is ass massage. Ass massage is the only kryptonite that used to completely shut down N and T. I overused it and my ex gave it to me every night for an hour for a year. I need to practice abstinence hoping its beneficial effects return. Have you ever experienced ass massage? There are many motions. Up-down, left-right, squeeze, squeeze and shake, and so forth. It must mimic whatever we feel when we're in the womb because I swear it's like morphine. Or it was. Until I overdid it. I hope it comes back!!!!

Reflection

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I am currently just goggling at your post and laughing at times and nodding at others. I like you. You're going to be one of those that keeps things interesting, aren't you?

Make comparative literature interesting in 3 sentences? I'll try.

1. It's a study about how different literary works from different times and different parts of the world compare in terms of addressing the same or similar issues and ideas.
2. What's interesting about it is how different people think about the same things and how they organize their thoughts differently; their interpretations of the same things can be really mind-opening and cause you to start thinking about a problem in a different way.
3. This is especially true when considering authors that come from countries with very differing dispositions to certain ideas and issues - take for instance French and British literature from the period of realism and the difference between the portrayal of the period in Balzac's works and the ones of George Eliot - how they focus on different aspects of the real world.

Ah, the torture of falling asleep. Yes, I know it well.

Stevo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
It's like they lack the ability to experience it if it's not happening right now, if it's not something they can see, hear, smell or touch. I get the feeling that they cannot imagine the flow of a planet, the rise of the continents, the shifting of the earth underneath your feet as you visualise the passage of time.

I am shocked by this. Do you really think that people can't see these things? I've always wondered what the true difference between intuitives and sensors are but if it's really that profound then I don't know what to think. I can't even try to put myself in the shoes of someone who cannot conceptualize these things. How do they live?

Reflection

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I am shocked by this. Do you really think that people can't see these things? I've always wondered what the true difference between intuitives and sensors are but if it's really that profound then I don't know what to think. I can't even try to put myself in the shoes of someone who cannot conceptualize these things. How do they live?

I have a few sensor friends who confirmed this for me. I know it's shocking, but they don't think it's a big deal. In fact, they don't seem to understand why it would be so important to us.

Now, I would like to make clear that this is just my experience so far. I'm sure there are sensors who think like us, it's just that I haven't met any yet. Probably. Any sensors out there lurking who can restore my faith in them?

Stevo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I guess part of it for me is your choice of plate tectonics as an example---as a Geologist plate tectonics is sort of the center of my worldview and thus your use of it really brought the point home. But it is enormously important for me. I can look at a field outside my home and immediately visualize how it must have appeared in the past---in the Mesozoic, in the midst of a gigantic mountain range that the Appalachians used to be, snow-topped peaks soaring higher than any other mountain range in the history of the Earth. Or in the Carboniferous, as a gigantic festering coal swamp covered in black pungent water and a dense tangle of primitive scaled trees. I can imagine what that same grassy field may look like in the future. Maybe it will be the site of a tropical rainforest, or maybe, if the current trends end up reversing, it will be the site of a chain of volcanoes not unlike the Cascades on the West Coast of the North American continent. Imagining the possibilities of the next supercontinent, as the Pacific ocean gradually is swallowed on all sides by the encroaching Asian and North American plates, the upheaval that would occur and the rise of the next mountain range, these visions of the past and future are what goes on in my mind and I find them to be absolutely indispensable.

Reflection

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I was using plate tectonics because I actually used that same example when illustrating my point to those sensor friends I was talking about. It came up in a conversation where I wondered out loud what the field we were looking at looked like hundreds of years ago and they asked me how I came to that thought (I frequently say things that are on my mind without actually thinking about saying them).

But when I think of the Earth, I visualize in terms of change. What was it like? What will it look like? It's the way I've always thought and I can't imagine functioning without it.

Stevo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I was using plate tectonics because I actually used that same example when illustrating my point to those sensor friends I was talking about. It came up in a conversation where I wondered out loud what the field we were looking at looked like hundreds of years ago and they asked me how I came to that thought (I frequently say things that are on my mind without actually thinking about saying them).

Hundreds of years ago it most likely wouldn't have looked any different, possible human-driven changes aside. If you want real change, you must look back in timescales in the millions of years.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

they don't think it's a big deal. In fact, they don't seem to understand why it would be so important to us.

This is the main difference. They understand it exists, but do not dwell on the thought itself.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Any sensors out there lurking who can restore my faith in them?

You're looking at it all wrong though. Where we conceptualize, they actualize. Both play important roles in our society. If you'd take away all sensors the world would be a very messy and misguided place. There are so many rolls a person can take on, and each and every role can be just as important. It's definatly not a bad thing there are sensors out there who are vastly different than us intuitives. And it's definatly not true that there is some form of absolute right or wrong in the picture either.

Which brings me to a different level of critisism. Where I don't expect sensors to operate like me, but in their own ways, I do often find myself severely critisizing other intuitives on getting themselves stuck in fruitless perspectives. Don't get me wrong, it happens to me too, that's our aloofness. But I'm also very critical towards myself on that. I just think its important for intuitives to keep an open mind. Conceptualizing is great and all, but if you start constructing your concepts from a shielded point of view, it can do more harm than good!

Just saying, questioning your faith in them based on their lack of intuitive skills doesn't really say anything bad about them sensors, but rather about you as an intuitive. So your lack of faith isn't in them, but in yourself. :smile:

Not to mention that if we really do want to start nitpicking. The sensors will get the upperhand berating our sensotardness and aloofness. But what's the point in that. :cheese:

Reflection

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
@Stevo: Yes, of course I realize that. It's just that at that exact moment I was wondering about human-driven changes, as you put it.

But then I started going waaaaay back into the past. :)

@Fluffy: There probably should've been an emoticon there, because I wasn't actually all that serious. I do agree that we need Sensors - heavens only know what kind of a world it would be with only Intuitives in it! *shudder*

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, even if you meant it as a joke, I still find the debate a bit off track. So my post still stands. :)

Reflection

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
To be honest, Fluff, sometimes I'm jealous of sensors. And I'm very critical of myself. It's funny how I can really dislike aloofness in other people, when I'm like that a lot.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I have a few sensor friends who confirmed this for me. I know it's shocking, but they don't think it's a big deal. In fact, they don't seem to understand why it would be so important to us.

Now, I would like to make clear that this is just my experience so far. I'm sure there are sensors who think like us, it's just that I haven't met any yet. Probably. Any sensors out there lurking who can restore my faith in them?

:hi:, lol. Although i am aware of the bigger picture such as the earth spins at the equator about 1,038 miles per hour. That tectonic plates cause friction thus earthquakes etc but for me it doesn't compare in comparison to everyday life .. It's something i don't need to worry about. Doesn't mean i am not interested in it so when brought up in conversation, i'll gladly listen to acquire new information.

I was watching Discovery Science recently and they were discussing Bayes theorem .. If i'd of had a penis, i'm sure i would of got a hard-on. Back to the subject, it was fascinating and i thoroughly enjoyed it but again, do i really need to worry about probabilities .. Maybe so in some instances but overall in life .. I am too busy worrying about the day to day things.

You're looking at it all wrong though. Where we conceptualize, they actualize. Both play important roles in our society. If you'd take away all sensors the world would be a very messy and misguided place. There are so many rolls a person can take on, and each and every role can be just as important. It's definatly not a bad thing there are sensors out there who are vastly different than us intuitives. And it's definatly not true that there is some form of absolute right or wrong in the picture either.

Good points raised.

To be honest, Fluff, sometimes I'm jealous of sensors. And I'm very critical of myself. It's funny how I can really dislike aloofness in other people, when I'm like that a lot.

I used to be jealous of intuits .. Now i just accept me for what i am. In all my glory :blush: