User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    I am shocked by this. Do you really think that people can't see these things? I've always wondered what the true difference between intuitives and sensors are but if it's really that profound then I don't know what to think. I can't even try to put myself in the shoes of someone who cannot conceptualize these things. How do they live?
    I have a few sensor friends who confirmed this for me. I know it's shocking, but they don't think it's a big deal. In fact, they don't seem to understand why it would be so important to us.

Now, I would like to make clear that this is just my experience so far. I'm sure there are sensors who think like us, it's just that I haven't met any yet. Probably. Any sensors out there lurking who can restore my faith in them?
    Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

I guess part of it for me is your choice of plate tectonics as an example---as a Geologist plate tectonics is sort of the center of my worldview and thus your use of it really brought the point home. But it is enormously important for me. I can look at a field outside my home and immediately visualize how it must have appeared in the past---in the Mesozoic, in the midst of a gigantic mountain range that the Appalachians used to be, snow-topped peaks soaring higher than any other mountain range in the history of the Earth. Or in the Carboniferous, as a gigantic festering coal swamp covered in black pungent water and a dense tangle of primitive scaled trees. I can imagine what that same grassy field may look like in the future. Maybe it will be the site of a tropical rainforest, or maybe, if the current trends end up reversing, it will be the site of a chain of volcanoes not unlike the Cascades on the West Coast of the North American continent. Imagining the possibilities of the next supercontinent, as the Pacific ocean gradually is swallowed on all sides by the encroaching Asian and North American plates, the upheaval that would occur and the rise of the next mountain range, these visions of the past and future are what goes on in my mind and I find them to be absolutely indispensable.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

I was using plate tectonics because I actually used that same example when illustrating my point to those sensor friends I was talking about. It came up in a conversation where I wondered out loud what the field we were looking at looked like hundreds of years ago and they asked me how I came to that thought (I frequently say things that are on my mind without actually thinking about saying them).

But when I think of the Earth, I visualize in terms of change. What was it like? What will it look like? It's the way I've always thought and I can't imagine functioning without it.
    Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Reflection View Post
    I was using plate tectonics because I actually used that same example when illustrating my point to those sensor friends I was talking about. It came up in a conversation where I wondered out loud what the field we were looking at looked like hundreds of years ago and they asked me how I came to that thought (I frequently say things that are on my mind without actually thinking about saying them).
    Hundreds of years ago it most likely wouldn't have looked any different, possible human-driven changes aside. If you want real change, you must look back in timescales in the millions of years.

ReflecTcelfeR

they don't think it's a big deal. In fact, they don't seem to understand why it would be so important to us.
    This is the main difference. They understand it exists, but do not dwell on the thought itself.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Any sensors out there lurking who can restore my faith in them?
    You're looking at it all wrong though. Where we conceptualize, they actualize. Both play important roles in our society. If you'd take away all sensors the world would be a very messy and misguided place. There are so many rolls a person can take on, and each and every role can be just as important. It's definatly not a bad thing there are sensors out there who are vastly different than us intuitives. And it's definatly not true that there is some form of absolute right or wrong in the picture either.

Which brings me to a different level of critisism. Where I don't expect sensors to operate like me, but in their own ways, I do often find myself severely critisizing other intuitives on getting themselves stuck in fruitless perspectives. Don't get me wrong, it happens to me too, that's our aloofness. But I'm also very critical towards myself on that. I just think its important for intuitives to keep an open mind. Conceptualizing is great and all, but if you start constructing your concepts from a shielded point of view, it can do more harm than good!

Just saying, questioning your faith in them based on their lack of intuitive skills doesn't really say anything bad about them sensors, but rather about you as an intuitive. So your lack of faith isn't in them, but in yourself.

Not to mention that if we really do want to start nitpicking. The sensors will get the upperhand berating our sensotardness and aloofness. But what's the point in that.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

@Stevo: Yes, of course I realize that. It's just that at that exact moment I was wondering about human-driven changes, as you put it.

But then I started going waaaaay back into the past.

@Fluffy: There probably should've been an emoticon there, because I wasn't actually all that serious. I do agree that we need Sensors - heavens only know what kind of a world it would be with only Intuitives in it! *shudder*

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Well, even if you meant it as a joke, I still find the debate a bit off track. So my post still stands.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

To be honest, Fluff, sometimes I'm jealous of sensors. And I'm very critical of myself. It's funny how I can really dislike aloofness in other people, when I'm like that a lot.

MBTI
    ESFJ

I have a few sensor friends who confirmed this for me. I know it's shocking, but they don't think it's a big deal. In fact, they don't seem to understand why it would be so important to us.

Now, I would like to make clear that this is just my experience so far. I'm sure there are sensors who think like us, it's just that I haven't met any yet. Probably. Any sensors out there lurking who can restore my faith in them?
    , lol. Although i am aware of the bigger picture such as the earth spins at the equator about 1,038 miles per hour. That tectonic plates cause friction thus earthquakes etc but for me it doesn't compare in comparison to everyday life .. It's something i don't need to worry about. Doesn't mean i am not interested in it so when brought up in conversation, i'll gladly listen to acquire new information.

I was watching Discovery Science recently and they were discussing Bayes theorem .. If i'd of had a penis, i'm sure i would of got a hard-on. Back to the subject, it was fascinating and i thoroughly enjoyed it but again, do i really need to worry about probabilities .. Maybe so in some instances but overall in life .. I am too busy worrying about the day to day things.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    You're looking at it all wrong though. Where we conceptualize, they actualize. Both play important roles in our society. If you'd take away all sensors the world would be a very messy and misguided place. There are so many rolls a person can take on, and each and every role can be just as important. It's definatly not a bad thing there are sensors out there who are vastly different than us intuitives. And it's definatly not true that there is some form of absolute right or wrong in the picture either.
    Good points raised.

To be honest, Fluff, sometimes I'm jealous of sensors. And I'm very critical of myself. It's funny how I can really dislike aloofness in other people, when I'm like that a lot.
    I used to be jealous of intuits .. Now i just accept me for what i am. In all my glory
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe