User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by FallsPioneer View Post
    Why we are here I see more as a purpose thing that people can create for themselves. I also don't think we need a reason to exist.

And have fun here, Kristiana. =)
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by red13 View Post
    That's your interpretation, and maybe says more about you than me, although I would not necessarily disagree with the statement. Who are these people who interpreted "weak" in this way?

I think one of the interesting aspects of a forum like this is the different attitude to religion in the US and the UK. The majority of people in the UK like religion to have a very low profile and plays little part in daily life. From my experience in the US religion is much more mainstream.

Welcome to MBTICentral Kristiana, I notice that your profile doesn’t state where you’re from.

p.s. Did C.S. Lewis actually take the test?
    Hi!

I don't believe Lewis took the test, but it's plainly obvious from his writings that he was one of us He has also indicated in his autobiography about having a lot of INTJ traits, including disinterest in small talk and preferring to be by himself.

I guess I don't understand how the words weak or succumb could have a positive connotation. If my interpretation is wrong, would you mind telling me what you did mean to imply by your statement, "I can understand why some "weak" types succumb but NT's especially INTJ's/INTP, surely not?"

Thanks And, I am from the USA, although I can tell you that the role of religion in US culture greatly depends on what type of community you live in and choose to associate yourself with. Serious Christians et al are in the minority here too, although you can find them if you look.

I'd love to visit the UK sometime. Have you always lived there?
    j'adore les chats

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kristiana View Post
    Thanks!

I guess I don't understand how the words weak or succumb could have a positive connotation. If my interpretation is wrong, would you mind telling me what you did mean to imply by your statement, "I can understand why some "weak" types succumb but NT's especially INTJ's/INTP, surely not?"

Thanks And, I am from the USA, although I can tell you that the role of religion in US culture greatly depends on what type of community you live in and choose to associate yourself with. Serious Christians et al are in the minority here too, although you can find them if you look.

I'd love to visit the UK sometime. Have you always lived there?
    Hi Kristiana,

I didn't mean weak literally that's why I put it in quotes, I guess it was too subtle a joke for anyone outside of my own head.

All my business contacts are in the US, most being Christian(the majority Morman LDS). I'm sure it wouldn't be good for my business to tell them that I was atheist.

Yes I've always live in England, Born in London and slowly moved south, ancestors from Kent, Norfolk and Dublin.

Sadly I'm going to make this my last post on MBTICentral as I've fallen out with the moderators( Cafe & Jennifer) who feel that my, apparent, contemp and dislike for religion may upset some of the forum members. Maybe they should read their own FAQ on forum rules.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Sadly I'm going to make this my last post on MBTICentral as I've fallen out with the moderators( Cafe & Jennifer) who feel that my, apparent, contempt and dislike for religion may upset some of the forum members. Maybe they should read their own FAQ on forum rules.
    Yes, I'm evil. Everyone knows it. (And always utterly unfair and unkind.)

To clarify, since you've now brought it up in a public forum, it's clearly the reverse from what you've stated: Cafe and I have fallen out of favor with you, and you've decided that you don't like it here because it's not run the way you'd like, and so you've decided to leave as a protest.

If you'd like to continue this discussion in full view of the forum, please confine it to the Feedback subforum. Since you've read the FAQ, you should recall a subpoint of #3 that states:

A post made to a thread of another topic about forum politics meant to cause digression into forum politics is also classified as trolling. If the post contains personal attacks on forum administrators and/or users, it is a flame.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Hi Kristiana,

I didn't mean weak literally that's why I put it in quotes, I guess it was too subtle a joke for anyone outside of my own head.

All my business contacts are in the US, most being Christian(the majority Morman LDS). I'm sure it wouldn't be good for my business to tell them that I was atheist.

Yes I've always live in England, Born in London and slowly moved south, ancestors from Kent, Norfolk and Dublin.

Sadly I'm going to make this my last post on MBTICentral as I've fallen out with the moderators( Cafe & Jennifer) who feel that my, apparent, contemp and dislike for religion may upset some of the forum members. Maybe they should read their own FAQ on forum rules.
    So I won't be receiving the data then? Shame.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

my apparent contempt and dislike for religion may upset some of the forum members
    Not all. Jesus loves you too, you benighted SOB!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I was forced to go to orthodox Jewish day school. I was also somewhat skeptical and blah blah. I'm sick of hearing myself talk.

I hated Judaism because god didn't make sense.

I was anti-religion and anti-god for about 4 years.

At the end of college I tried mushrooms and was turned onto Buddhism after trying to make sense of my experience. I read D.T. Suzuki's Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind and something clicked. Then I read Alan Watts who explains Zen very eloquently.

I now use my own experiences as a spiritual compass. I analyze experiences where I feel at peace and look to why that happened. More and more I find that I identify with Buddhist doctrine. Most of my spirituality now derives from slowing down, helping others, watching people, realizing I exist, contemplating physics and trying to fathom the universe, unsuccessfully.

MBTI
    INTJ

I've fallen out with the moderators( Cafe & Jennifer) who feel that my, apparent, contempt and dislike for religion may upset some of the forum members. Maybe they should read their own FAQ on forum rules.
    I doubt that's true.
    There's a real strong tolerance contingency here.
    I'm sure you fit in just fine.
    In my experience, the members are more likely to shush the religious than the non-religious.

MBTI
    INTP

Just my 2 cents:

If you can look death in the eye and face it alone, I am of the opinion you are that you are very brave yet foolish. It takes quite a person to believe that we all cease to exist after the physical death.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by JonJT View Post
    If you can look death in the eye and face it alone, I am of the opinion you are that you are very brave yet foolish. It takes quite a person to believe that we all cease to exist after the physical death.
    Why?

Any tangible evidence points to death being death. All other arguments to the contrary are philosophical in nature. The empirical evidence (the only evidence that everyone can 100% agree on, because it is observable by everyone and replicable) is that death is, well, death.

Everything else is based on the faith/hope that the evidence is lying... or not the full truth.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

it's a nuclear device antireconciler's Avatar
    MBTI
    Intj
    Enneagram
    5w4 so
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Why?

Any tangible evidence points to death being death. All other arguments to the contrary are philosophical in nature. The empirical evidence (the only evidence that everyone can 100% agree on, because it is observable by everyone and replicable) is that death is, well, death.

Everything else is based on the faith/hope that the evidence is lying... or not the full truth.
    No one would argue unless they didn't have intuitions that appear to them to be to the contrary ... which is its own kind of evidence. So what exactly does "evidence" point to? It's no use to rely on a distinction between what is tangible and what is not, for they all have their tangibility insofar as they affect us, and their intangibility insofar as we interpret them. Be careful, therefore, not to rely too heavily on tautologies such as "things are what they are", which you hear people say sometimes. Knives all too often cut their wielders.

Death is surely death ... but what now is death? I ask, because it isn't clear what it is. To look at death and return with an idea of it is to have not died, and thus to have returned unaffected by death qua death ... how then could it ever be possible for you do have returned with any idea of it? It could not have affected you. Therefore, only you could have. But you are inherently alive, and one thing cannot arise out of what it is not.
    ~ a n t i r e c o n c i l e r
    What is death, dies.
    What is life, lives.