User Tag List

View Poll Results: NT women - do you want kids?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm ENTJ - I want/have kids

1 1.89%
  • I'm ENTJ - I do NOT want kids

1 1.89%
  • I'm INTJ - I want/have kids

2 3.77%
  • I'm INTJ - I do NOT want kids

6 11.32%
  • I'm ENTP - I want/have kids

5 9.43%
  • I'm ENTP - I do NOT want kids

5 9.43%
  • I'm INTP - I want/have kids

9 16.98%
  • I'm INTP - I do NOT want kids

8 15.09%
  • I'm not an NT

4 7.55%
  • I'm not a female

12 22.64%
  • I don't know yet or any other answer not listed

0 0%
123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Default NT women - do you want kids?

I posted this in the NF forum and the results were interesting. So, I figured why not post it here as well. The question I asked them was:

I'm wondering what trends we will see between the 4 NF NT types and a desire to have children. I have an idea of how this poll might turn out, but answer honestly and we'll see how it plays out.

I'm not talking about "yes, kids are cute. I think it would be fun." I'm talking about having strong enough of an innate desire for children that you are willing and able to give up a good amount of your own independence and to put up with the "not so fun stuff" that comes with it. Your desire for children overrides your desire to do whatever you want, whenever you want.

If you kind of want kids, but you "just don't want to give up your independence", then the answer in the poll would be no.

Feel free to discuss why you do or don't want children and what you think that has to do with your individual type or personality preferences.
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

I've seen other people with children. I remember enough of my own childhood to recall whot I was like. I know how much time and effort is required, and I know I don't have the attention span, the time, nor the patience for such.

I'm totally unwilling to give up 2 years of sleep, become practically crippled across 9 months, and eventually be tied down to a bald, screaming, messy, malformed being that I wouldn't be able to tolerate if they were an adult and actually looked good, but no, they look hideous, have no manners, and I want nothing to do with them.

Another problem, is that, due to genetics, I have a sneaking suspicion they would turn out like me. The world doesn't need that XD

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    I've seen other people with children. I remember enough of my own childhood to recall whot I was like. I know how much time and effort is required, and I know I don't have the attention span, the time, nor the patience for such.

I'm totally unwilling to give up 2 years of sleep, become practically crippled across 9 months, and eventually be tied down to a bald, screaming, messy, malformed being that I wouldn't be able to tolerate if they were an adult and actually looked good, but no, they look hideous, have no manners, and I want nothing to do with them.

Another problem, is that, due to genetics, I have a sneaking suspicion they would turn out like me. The world doesn't need that XD
    LOL. I feel what you're saying - everything except that they "look hideous" and are "malformed". That's harsh. I'm a guy and I think babies are insanely cute. But, everyone will have their own reasons.
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    LOL. I feel what you're saying - everything except that they "look hideous" and are "malformed". That's harsh. I'm a guy and I think babies are insanely cute. But, everyone will have their own reasons.
    Could be worse... one friend I know actually told his girlfriend "Yeu may be beautiful now, but yeu were an ughly baby".

She wasn't amused, but considering who it was comming from, at least she understood XD

In any case, they are fat, their heads are bumpy and bald and not of normal shape, so on and so forth. The drooling, throwing up, crapping themselves, and generally other gross behaviour is... ew.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

I would like to have kids eventually. Maybe the stork can drop them off a bit later when they are fully grown and ready to head off to the work force though.
    01010101011011100110100101110100011110010010000001 10001101100001011011100010000001101111011011100110 11000111100100100000011000100110010100100000011011 01011000010110111001101001011001100110010101110011 01110100011001010110010000100000011000100111100100 10000001110100011010000110010100100000010000100110 10010110111001100001011100100111100100101110

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Why are you not asking this question of NT (or NF) men? It takes two to make a baby, and ideally two to raise one as well.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Why are you not asking this question of NT (or NF) men? It takes two to make a baby, and ideally two to raise one as well.
    It's just as valid of a question, but it's a very different question, going through pregnancy and child birth has an impact on women that men don't experience. And that impact could be the deciding factor for someone when making a choice about if they want to have children.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I have three kids, ages 12-15. One is adopted.

I was scared at first that I would not be able to connect with my kids and I would feel tied down/burdened by them, but the funny thing was that I found I actually enjoyed them.

Still, my life had to change a great deal and become more scheduled, I gave up doing some things on my schedule (such as TV shows and the like), money of course gets spent differently. But they have always been rewarding and I feel privileged to have been part of their life. The older they get, also, the more I love being able to talk to them and see them act autonomously, chasing after their own dreams and interests and building a life outside the family... which means they can bring stuff back to the family.

I still remember when my eldest said something funny that caught me completely off-guard. Usually I'm imaginative enough that I am not surprised, but he was maybe eight or so and said something far other than what I had anticipated in order to make a joke, and it was really funny AND I hadn't anticipated his comment. That was a real rush, and it was another, "Wow, I love my kids" moment. I just love seeing them growing into adults and having minds and visions of their own.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    It's just as valid of a question, but it's a very different question, going through pregnancy and child birth has an impact on women that men don't experience. And that impact could be the deciding factor for someone when making a choice about if they want to have children.
    Yes, men do not experience pregnancy and childbirth directly. The experience of parenthood goes far beyond that, though, and most of it can be shared fairly even-handedly between men and women. It seems that as long as questions about child rearing are directed only or primarily at women, issues impacting children, families, and especially work/family balance will continue to be viewed as "women's issues" rather than the universal issues they really are. Until this impact is widely acknowledged, we cannot expect lasting systemic solutions.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I'm not feeling that "strong, innate" desire for kids of my own. I like kids well enough. I have a half-brother 12 years younger than I am, and it's been a lot of fun watching him grow up.

But having my own isn't on the agenda right now. I am heading into my late 20s, and in a lot of ways I've been quite psychologically and relationally stunted over the years. I have serious doubts about whether I'll be able to raise reasonably healthy kids. Unless and until I can make some serious changes in myself, and get in enough of the kind of life experiences most people have had by my age (or make peace with missing out on them), I would not consider it. And that may not happen before it's too late.

I might consider kids if I ever find myself in a time and situation that does feel right for them. If that doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. I don't see myself going on some desperate manhunt in my forties.