• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Ti] The Ti Shutdown

Gamine

in-game
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
Ti Shutdown

The shoulder shrug - pass off - walk by you without making eye contact - stranger treatment someone might receive from a Ti user once they have deemed that "socializing with you further does not make any practical sense, and should be ceased immediately to presume proper efficient activities."

Thoughts?

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
What you're describing sounds a lot more like Te than Ti.

Ti quits socializing because you're not interesting enough, not because it's impractical/inefficient.

Gamine

in-game
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
I need more details and cannot get away with being as vague as I'd like too... I'm trying to describe a situation where a person decides someone in their life is no longer worth the effort, through something they have done wrong or even through moving farther away (out of sight out of mine).

The NFs go into detail about their "doorslamming" and I'm looking for the equivalent for NTs.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I would say that it is difficult for me to ignore people because I need people, thus the E. My Ti only ignores people when I need to avoid being influenced.

Gamine

in-game
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
I would say that it is difficult for me to ignore people because I need people, thus the E. My Ti only ignores people when I need to avoid being influenced.

I need to know this please.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I need more details and cannot get away with being as vague as I'd like too... I'm trying to describe a situation where a person decides someone in their life is no longer worth the effort, through something they have done wrong or even through moving farther away (out of sight out of mine).

The NFs go into detail about their "doorslamming" and I'm looking for the equivalent for NTs.

Well the general motivations are not the same for NTPs as they are for NTJs. NTPs and NTJs may exhibit similar surface behaviors, but when you ask why NTs may give you a "doorslam" you need to distinguish between NTJ and NTP, rather than lumping them both into NT. The functional make-up for these two groups are completely opposite, so it's not really possible to provide general cognitive motivations that apply to both simultaneously, at least not in theory.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I think the overall general theme for why NTs might "doorslam" someone would be because that someone has no skills or interesting qualities to offer to the table and/or that someone is a complete idiot. Perhaps too sensitive could be a reason too. I know that I really get annoyed with people who make everything personal.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Ti as a function, for me, mainly places pieces of a puzzle into groups. In this stage if anything is allowed to interrupt, or misplace a certain piece of information then the thought that is being formed, or analyzed can be damaged. The damage is congruent to how vital the information that is being sorted is to the overall puzzle. The lack of influence keeps the flaws of an idea to a minimum. This sounds more like a Ti dominant function person, which I believe is true, but I try to keep my ideas in until a great deal of the flaws are already picked apart and gotten rid of, any influence can be detrimental. However, once I feel fit to advertise said idea I allow others to critique and add on to the already existing product. Ti doesn't want any visitors knocking on it's door until it says so and hands it over to Ne. Of course at times its fun to just say an idea and see what happens.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
^That's a good way to put it. Especially the second to last sentence there.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
If I 'doorslam' anyone out of my life, it's usually because I find them to be too ignorant for me to handle (close-mindedness also equals boringness) or they have proven themselves to be too hazardous to be with in any close relation. This has recently happened with an old friend of mine. She broke the trust I had with her, and that is something that can never be fixed.
If someone's not interesting enough, I look on the bright side and try to find what is interesting about them. There's usually something interesting hidden behind shy exteriors.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ti Shutdown

The shoulder shrug - pass off - walk by you without making eye contact - stranger treatment someone might receive from a Ti user once they have deemed that "socializing with you further does not make any practical sense, and should be ceased immediately to presume proper efficient activities."

Thoughts?

There's two(ish) reasons for such:

Energy Conservation:
Ti user not wanting to be bothered with speaking because they don't have the energy. That person most likely is a casual acquaintance to the Ti user and probably is someone who engages in small talk or idle conversation that takes effort on behalf of Ti user to engage on a consistent basis every time you see said person. This isn't personal. Just kind of a "leave me alone I don't feel like talking" hint but someone forcing conversation when Ti person is in this mode can lead to reason below:

Social Overload:

Person notices Ti users hesitance and tries to continuously force conversation or interactions. They don't get the hint or give space to the Ti user. So Ti user now actively *avoids* talking to this person even though they may be in a high energy state. This is sort of when it becomes personal.

Social Walls:

The conversation you had with Ti person was the extent of which they felt they had commonality with you and there's no reason in Ti person's mind to force a bond. Again. Nothing personal.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I was thinking about this today - in relation to two separate instances.

First instance - there are two girls that I see in passing every single day. Basically, for the last several months I see these same two girls just about every single day during my break from work. For the first couple of months, it was a lot of "back and forth", being funny, semi-flirting, getting to know each other's personalities, blah, blah, blah. They are now my friends and they know it. But, now that I know quite a lot about them and the friendship is officially "established", I don't feel the need to engage them in conversation every day. Sometimes during my break, I would rather read the newspaper or sit peacefully, or maybe even talk to someone else. So, I'll walk into the room, see them in the corner and say, "hey guys!" and promptly pick up the newspaper and start reading an article. I've noticed lately that they seem sort of "offended" by this. They are both extroverts (which may or may not have anything to do with it - I think it probably does). I think they are getting this impression of me now - that I can be snobbish or give them the cold shoulder. They are my friends just as much now as they've always been. It's just that if I don't have anything in particular to talk about (or some new dialogue that we haven't had yet), I'm not going to just go through the same things we talked about yesterday just to make conversation. In my mind I'm not being rude, but I just think "Oh there they are. Hmmmm, what's in the paper today?" And then they seem to feel ignored. Basically, as the friendships have progressed, they are expecting MORE out of me, but I'm expecting LESS out of them. They're ALREADY my friends. We don't need to talk about silly introductory things anymore.

Second instance - I have an ex (more of a friend these days) who I now live "farther away from" (as mentioned in the OP). We are still friends and we still maintain contact but, well, it's not that I don't "need" her as much anymore - it's just, "what would you like to talk about" kind of thing?

That's another thing with NT's I think. The MORE we get to know people and the more we find out about them, there becomes less to find out about them. I'm very curious when I first meet someone. I want to know a lot about them (it's the "sx" variant, in my case). If I'm "not that interested", then it's just casual conversation. But, if I'm interested in the person or intrigued (not necessarily romantically, but just find them "interesting"), then I'm able to connect very deeply and form a very deep-rooted bond in a short period of time. It can happen very quickly with certain people (it's somewhat rare). But, after that initial stage, what else is there to talk about? Sure, we're friends and we will definitely have things to discuss, but, we don't really have to talk for hours. We can if you want, but it's not really necessary, because we've already discussed 95% of it. Most everything else is just silly stuff, like:

"hey, it's a hot one out there today, eh? Think it'll ever cool down?"

"Ummm, I don't know. How in the heck would I know? Do I look like a meteorologist?"

Meh! I'd prefer to read the newspaper! It doesn't ask goofy questions. :D

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

Energy Conservation:
Ti user not wanting to be bothered with speaking because they don't have the energy. That person most likely is a casual acquaintance to the Ti user and probably is someone who engages in small talk or idle conversation that takes effort on behalf of Ti user to engage on a consistent basis every time you see said person. This isn't personal. Just kind of a "leave me alone I don't feel like talking" hint but someone forcing conversation when Ti person is in this mode can lead to reason below:

Social Overload:

Person notices Ti users hesitance and tries to continuously force conversation or interactions. They don't get the hint or give space to the Ti user. So Ti user now actively *avoids* talking to this person even though they may be in a high energy state. This is sort of when it becomes personal.

Social Walls:

The conversation you had with Ti person was the extent of which they felt they had commonality with you and there's no reason in Ti person's mind to force a bond. Again. Nothing personal.

Yes!!! Definitely this!

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Energy Conservation:

Social Overload:

Social Walls:

These last two I agree with the most, but I see that all three exist within most of my friendships. Plus the whole if I have nothing to talk about I won't thing... INTPness brought it up.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
At first I thought you were literally talking about some INTP you know walking by you without acknowledging you. I do this all the time without realizing it; I'm just really deep in my thoughts and oblivious and don't intend to snub anyone. But people have sworn I looked them right in the eye and ignored them, and I don't even recall having seen them. :laugh:

But your following posts gave the me the impression that you're talking more about someone who is shutting you out, spending less time with you, etc. In that case, I agree with MDP2525 and INTPness' posts, especially the point about energy conservation. I need to be in a certain mood to want to chit-chat.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
"hey, it's a hot one out there today, eh? Think it'll ever cool down?"

"Ummm, I don't know. How in the heck would I know? Do I look like a meteorologist?"

Meh! I'd prefer to read the newspaper! It doesn't ask goofy questions. :D
Absolutely. I despise this sort of questioning as well. It is rare that I cut off people I know well, and then only because of something extreme like dishonesty or betrayal. I will distance myself from more casual acquaintances if it becomes apparent that we have nothing to offer each other. More than passing contact would just be a waste of both our time, and it seems kinder in the end not to create any false pretenses.

Ni does not take kindly to interruptions, either.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
My Ti shutdown is never really physical. I will acknowledge someone's existence, and treat them courteously, but that's as far as I'll go.

Whatever they say to me will go in one ear and out the other.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My Ti shutdown is never really physical. I will acknowledge someone's existence, and treat them courteously, but that's as far as I'll go.

Whatever they say to me will go in one ear and out the other.

+1, definatly same for me. Even if you're a random stranger talking to me on the street, I will cut the conversation very short like give off a vibe I'm in a hurry or something like that or don't have the time for you. But even then I will wrap it up and not just act like you don't exist.