• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Ti] The Ti Shutdown

human101

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx
There's two(ish) reasons for such:

Energy Conservation:
Ti user not wanting to be bothered with speaking because they don't have the energy. That person most likely is a casual acquaintance to the Ti user and probably is someone who engages in small talk or idle conversation that takes effort on behalf of Ti user to engage on a consistent basis every time you see said person. This isn't personal. Just kind of a "leave me alone I don't feel like talking" hint but someone forcing conversation when Ti person is in this mode can lead to reason below:

Social Overload:

Person notices Ti users hesitance and tries to continuously force conversation or interactions. They don't get the hint or give space to the Ti user. So Ti user now actively *avoids* talking to this person even though they may be in a high energy state. This is sort of when it becomes personal.

Social Walls:

The conversation you had with Ti person was the extent of which they felt they had commonality with you and there's no reason in Ti person's mind to force a bond. Again. Nothing personal.

lol i've been saying that i don't have the energy talk at random times since i was little

proximo

Ti as a function, for me, mainly places pieces of a puzzle into groups. In this stage if anything is allowed to interrupt, or misplace a certain piece of information then the thought that is being formed, or analyzed can be damaged. The damage is congruent to how vital the information that is being sorted is to the overall puzzle. The lack of influence keeps the flaws of an idea to a minimum. This sounds more like a Ti dominant function person, which I believe is true, but I try to keep my ideas in until a great deal of the flaws are already picked apart and gotten rid of, any influence can be detrimental. However, once I feel fit to advertise said idea I allow others to critique and add on to the already existing product. Ti doesn't want any visitors knocking on it's door until it says so and hands it over to Ne. Of course at times its fun to just say an idea and see what happens.

This - yes :yes:

Also I guess if I've experienced a number of attempts to have constructive conversation with a person, that have degenerated into something unpleasant, I'll perhaps try one or two more times to talk with them pleasantly, and if it turns out to be impossible without walking on egg shells, I'll avoid further attempts with that person.

I have experienced a few times where I've found a conversation very unpleasant and exhausting, whilst the other person's been oblivious to this and seemed to enjoy it, and approached me subsequently, much to my dread.

There's two(ish) reasons for such:

Energy Conservation:
Ti user not wanting to be bothered with speaking because they don't have the energy.

Or conversely, I've not wanted to bother because I didn't feel that the other person had enough energy to "receive" me, if you get my meaning? If I feel like a person is just too much hard work on my part, to drag a conversation out of them - if they give me a feeling of dominating the conversation because they don't carry their half.

The conversation you had with Ti person was the extent of which they felt they had commonality with you and there's no reason in Ti person's mind to force a bond. Again. Nothing personal.

Yeah, I relate to this a lot. I'm usually willing to keep listening though, in the hopes of finding something I didn't know was there.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Ti Shutdown

The shoulder shrug - pass off - walk by you without making eye contact - stranger treatment someone might receive from a Ti user once they have deemed that "socializing with you further does not make any practical sense, and should be ceased immediately to presume proper efficient activities."

Thoughts?

I have the urge to point out that you are getting your functions mixed up. Neither Ti nor Te does ahuge amount to influence social interacts, that's more to do with Fi/Fe. What you are seeing here is the effects of a low order feeling functions, rather than a well developed thinking function. Perhaps it's a small distinction, but I fel that it's one worth making. I'd think it's more of an Fi reaction than Fe that you are describing.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I need more details and cannot get away with being as vague as I'd like too... I'm trying to describe a situation where a person decides someone in their life is no longer worth the effort, through something they have done wrong or even through moving farther away (out of sight out of mine).

The NFs go into detail about their "doorslamming" and I'm looking for the equivalent for NTs.

I've done the bolded before. Simply because...they weren't around anymore. He was my best friend since kindergarten, and we went to different high schools and I never really talked to him again. Out of sight, out of mind. This also plays into my bad habit of using people for my own entertainment instead of caring about them as actual people.

The thing is, with the Ti shutdown, it's not necessarily that I don't like you. That doesn't have much to do with it. It's more along the lines of what Tesla was saying about us thinking that you don't really have anything more to offer.

Also, MDP2525's post was perfect.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
For me I can't relate to small talk too much unless it's something I find really exciting.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What you're describing sounds a lot more like Te than Ti.

Ti quits socializing because you're not interesting enough, not because it's impractical/inefficient.

Totally agree.

I don't shut people out because of "efficiency," I shut them out because either (1) I'm feeling anxious/intimidated or (2) they hold no interest for me.

Realistically, I think a lot of types operate from #1. I work in a building with close to 1000 people in it, probably, and so I pass a lot of people during the day. Some are generally cheerful and make eye contact and smile or say hi without provocation, others will avert their eyes and avoid allowing a connection. Sometimes I do one or the other, depending on how I'm feeling and whether it's someone I know.

In any case, assuming the rejection is personalized probably isn't accurate, I see it more as a blanket way for people to deal with social anxiety. When I get to know people better, it really does seem to be a personality style, not often as selective as this makes out. How efficient is it to have to evaluate each person and decide if they're worth talking to? People worried about efficiency tend to treat everyone the same; one rule, one style, no more thought about it.

For me I can't relate to small talk too much unless it's something I find really exciting.

I used to hate small talk. Part of the reason was that I was bored by it. Another reason was that I wasn't good at it.

The less I lived in my head and more I engaged the world, the better I got at small talk and the more interesting I found it. Nowadays I can enjoy chatting about lots of different things, as a way to get to know a person better, even if I usually prefer to discuss deeper more philosophical matters.

Energy Conservation:
Ti user not wanting to be bothered with speaking because they don't have the energy. That person most likely is a casual acquaintance to the Ti user and probably is someone who engages in small talk or idle conversation that takes effort on behalf of Ti user to engage on a consistent basis every time you see said person. This isn't personal. Just kind of a "leave me alone I don't feel like talking" hint but someone forcing conversation when Ti person is in this mode can lead to reason below:

There's that too. I'm good at social interaction nowadays, but I had to work at it... and it costs me. There's a steady energy drain, and when someone is sucking up too much of my energy or I hit bottom, I need to get out. The easiest way to protect my meager energy resources is to shut people out by reducing my replies to their comments and no longer making eye contact... in a way, pretending they don't really exist... because I don't want to invite them and encourage them to keep talking. But again, it's not typically personal, it's about my need to recharge.

sculpting

I have the urge to point out that you are getting your functions mixed up. Neither Ti nor Te does ahuge amount to influence social interacts, that's more to do with Fi/Fe. What you are seeing here is the effects of a low order feeling functions, rather than a well developed thinking function. Perhaps it's a small distinction, but I fel that it's one worth making. I'd think it's more of an Fi reaction than Fe that you are describing.

ENTPs do a distinct Fe shrug. I have gotten it when I get too emo on them and freak them out. Being mutual Ne doms we will be hypersensitive to each others facial expressions and actions, yet with mixed judging functions, start to attack/withdraw out of Ne induced insecurity and wariness when we misunderstand each other.

Down the tube it goes from there. :D Cant speak to anything else though.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Perhaps purposeful shutdowns occur through Fe/Fi, but I think Ti can have a strong affect on your awareness of people if you are concentrating hard enough. I would consider it Ti Oblivousness. People just stop existing for a while until you bump into someone. Mad Scientist Syndrome.

Supernaut

MBTI Type
INTP
I need more details and cannot get away with being as vague as I'd like too... I'm trying to describe a situation where a person decides someone in their life is no longer worth the effort, through something they have done wrong or even through moving farther away (out of sight out of mine).

The NFs go into detail about their "doorslamming" and I'm looking for the equivalent for NTs.

Wait, could someone direct me to the thread/post about NF doorslamming? Because my INFP sister was the worst doorslammer I ever knew, and I didn't know that it might've been a common NF trait.

Seriously, if you've ever seen the movie Superstar with Molly Shannon, and there's that scene where she gets mad at her parents and slams her door, opens it, slams it again, etc. for like 10 mins straight - that was my sister. I never understood it.

And to answer OP's post: As an INTP, when I write someone off it's generally because I don't see any use in them. It could be that they have somehow demonstrated that their intelligence is subpar, or it could be that their opinions on something are not well-researched or well-reasoned. Or they could just be boring people with whom I don't ever see myself having meaningful interaction. If they're not interesting, not attractive, and I can't think of any way that knowing them/interacting with them would be useful to me, then I'll probably write them off.

But that doesn't mean that I'll cut off interaction with them entirely; I just won't ever take their opinions/input into account. I'll still be genial and conversationally approachable, I just won't go out of my way to spend time with them and won't give their opinions/arguments much credit.

Gamine

in-game
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
Perhaps purposeful shutdowns occur through Fe/Fi, but I think Ti can have a strong affect on your awareness of people if you are concentrating hard enough. I would consider it Ti Oblivousness. People just stop existing for a while until you bump into someone. Mad Scientist Syndrome.

This is what I was trying to express, thanks Reflect! :)

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I avoid random people I know unless I look FRSH. That is, if I think I might have lettuce in my teeth or my hair's messy (thick, wavy golden brown hair + wind = lion), I'll walk by quickly and try to look like I'm in a terrible hurry on my way somewhere.

Gamine

in-game
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
I avoid random people I know unless I look FRSH. That is, if I think I might have lettuce in my teeth or my hair's messy (thick, wavy golden brown hair + wind = lion), I'll walk by quickly and try to look like I'm in a terrible hurry on my way somewhere.

Rawr for a lion's mane of hair.

Looking FRSH is what it's all about. It doesn't matter what you do, it's how good you look doing it!