User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

I'm not defining smart. It's a moot point. Reread the thread.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Meh, I'll seriously bite then.

This is absolutely bogus.

First I'll amuse myself... *shrug*

A 'dumb' person doing something vaguely right will take great pride, in his attempts to belong. This is natural.

A 'smart' person realizes that, although he might excel in something, he will not excel in everything, and may at times wish he would excel in other things. Which will naturally show as an inferior sensation.

I sense that is the hypothesis of the article. But now for the real problem. :P

But the contrast being made between 'dumb' and 'smart' people is a short-sighted and narrow-minded perspective at best. To keep it MBTI style: everyone has their own set of skills. Be it intellectually, or emotionally. Intuitively or sensory. It is a fact that each brain is capable of near similar possibilities, and our strengths merely lie in our preferences. So there are no 'dumb' or 'smart' people.

I don't have inferiority complexes. I am painfully aware of both my geniosity in some areas and my severe short-comings in other areas. But I take solice in the fact that it gives me a unique identity. And that is something everyone should be consciously proud off. My self-confidence amazes me at times, I have a big ego, I have my strengths and my weaknesses. I am neither dumb nor smart.

Where I can see an article like this and put it off as bogus merely upon looking into it, seeing it has no evident usefullness whatsoever as it painstakingly attempts to get results out of an obviously incomplete function. There will be something that stands against that, something I am incapable of, where others may excel.

Geniosity resides within us all.

There is something to be said about people who use that and people who don't use it though. But the capability still remains.
    It works on a micro scale, too. I'm ok at playing the piano, but not good. Like, maybe a grade 3 level (RCM) or so. The difference between me and, say, Diana Krall are huge. But the only differences I can recognize are the ones that I know to be lacking in my own playing; she is at so much higher of a level than me, that I can't even fathom all the mistakes and technique she has hammered out compared to me.

Whether my IQ is higher than hers, or I am better at WoW than her, or I know more trivia about the history of social psychology - all of this is irrelevant to the D-K effect as it applies to piano playing, except for the fact that I know about it and can use that knowledge to compensate for my own bias.

It's generalizable to the extent that intelligence is generalizable... better nutrition, abundant stimulation, lack of brain damage, etc. all make a child grow into a more intelligent person in general. But it's in the specialization of intelligence that the Dunning-Kruger effect becomes apparent. Nothing to do with potential - it's the actualization that is being considered, here.

Quote Originally Posted by tawanda View Post
    Don't mean to derail the thread, but by what terms are you defining to be 'smart' as? First impressions? Multiple intelligences? IQ?
    "good at X" where X involves some degree of cognitive ability

can apply to lots of things
    The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together. ~ rCoxI ~ INfj ~ 5w6 so/sp

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Meh. Socrates did this one to death.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    Meh. Socrates did this one to death.
    But those hoity toity Greek philosophers thought they were above doing experimentaion or emperical study, so they didn't have the figures to prove it!
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    But those hoity toity Greek philosophers thought they were above doing experimentaion or emperical study, so they didn't have the figures to prove it!
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    X/0

Quote Originally Posted by LunarMoon View Post
    I agree to an extent in that it's difficult to see the practical benefits of being intelligent but lacking in the confidence to put one's intelligence into use. Assuming, for instance, that above average writers never submit their literary works because they believe them to be inferior, this would seemingly result in the vast majority of published literary works being written by below average writers, those with the confidence to believe that they have a chance of publication. This would assumedly be true for every field, resulting in the bizarre paradox in which individuals of below average ability and intelligence are responsible for the vast majority of scientific and artistic advancements, bringing into serious question what skill and intellectual ability actually are. After all, can a person really be called competent if he is too indecisive to make any contributory works whatsoever?

Then there is of course the fact that geniuses that go around denigrating themselves seem to be rather rare. The only one that immediately comes to mind is the turn of the century physicist, Oliver Heaveside, who actually referred to himself as a "worm". The likes of Stephen Hawkings and Thomas Edison on the other hand seem to be fairly confident in their ability to accomplish the seemingly impossible. That said, as the theory implies that those of above average ability are not so much more likely to denigrate themselves as below average ("full of doubt") but are simply to regard themselves as average, it is at least a tad easier to swallow.

Haha, if a person has to worry about his or her ability or intelligence when publishing a piece of work then that person's heart/motive is not in the right place.

The measurement of intelligence cannot exist without a benchmark, because without a benchmark the measurement of intelligence would be meaningless. Ultimately, the perception of being unskilled or not being intelligent enough rest not on oneself, but how one see oneself compare to other people.
    Too much pride in one's intelligence is all too similar to vanity, too little and it hampers one's confidence to succeed. So ultimately, intelligence like other form of human benchmarks against each other is a waste of time. It's another form of distraction that can prevent a person from reaching his or her goal. Unless of course, his or her goal is to appear smart.
    This post grammatical errors had been intentionally left uncorrected.

Omg, what if I'm too stupid to realize this is stupid?!

Omg, wait, what if I'm too smart to realize this is smart?!

Omg, wait, what if I'm too stupid to realize this is smart?!

Omg, wait, what if I'm too smart to realize this is stupid?!

Paradox man! Like Woooh man. I know what would be a good idea - thinking about this more .

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by InsatiableCuriosity View Post
    Thank you the title of this thread provided much levity in my office today as we marked students' end of semester work. We were even able to find a few examples in the work we marked (with apologies to the intelligent and serious students here)
    Ohhh I want to hear more.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Maybe they were just too smart to be impressed by studies which prove what everyone already knows?

I mean, do we really need a study to tell us that stupid is stupid?
    What's next? Proof that water is wet?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Pitseleh View Post
    Ohhh I want to hear more.
    My lips are sealed

but we did have to reassure some of the colleagues to whom we emailed the definition that it wasn't intended to apply to them
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown