• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NT's, you are summoned yet again.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

When does making decisions with emotions fit better than reason in the eyes of NT's, if at all?

ObeyBunny

MBTI Type
INTJ
I've never found emotional thinking to be better than logical thinking.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
When you're ill.

For example, let's say that I know I should write my essay today instead of next week when it's almost due. If I'm currently hungover, I won't do my best work today.

It'd be best to go along with how I felt and save it until I recover, in order to DO better.

Needless to say, I get 'sick' a lot. :D

ObeyBunny

MBTI Type
INTJ
When you're ill.

For example, let's say that I know I should write my essay today instead of next week when it's almost due. If I'm currently hungover, I won't do my best work today.

It'd be best to go along with how I felt and save it until I recover, in order to DO better.

Needless to say, I get 'sick' a lot. :D

Yes, but you're still thinking logically when you make those decisions.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Though it's logical he is using his emotions as a guide.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

A process can be logical and include an emotional base; I would just be concerned with the volatile nature that can occur with an emotional base.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Perhaps some of my strongest values will takeover my mind for the decisions I make. Introverted feeling, I would guess. It may prevent me from doing certain things with a lack of ethical value no matter how rational it would seem.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

So perhaps this question needs to be re-worded... When do values overcome reason?

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So perhaps this question needs to be re-worded... When do values overcome reason?
Whenever the values are strong enough to overcome reason. The values tend to stay. So as long as my decisions to not contradict my strongest values, my emotions will not overcome my general thought process.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

So it's a threshold of sorts?

Makes sense.

Any examples of that occuring?

durentu

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
It really depends on the issue and there are rare cases where either absolute emotion or absolute reason is best.

If the issue deals with nature/universe, use mostly reason
If the issue deals with people, use mostly emotion

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
When does making decisions with emotions fit better than reason in the eyes of NT's, if at all?

I prefer emotional thinking. It's easier to claim you were wrong because then you just have to claim that your feelings changed.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So it's a threshold of sorts?

Makes sense.

Any examples of that occuring?
Well, you can call the rational parent who takes his time caring for his child in place of a more important matter an act of irrationality. The value of caring for the child is higher than doing the more important matter he had missed or postponed.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Do you trust the emotions that you have? Wondering whether what you feel is how you feel about the subject you are discussing? I remember a description of INTP's saying that when an INTP argues they are trying to convince themselves as well as the person there accusation, or defense is made towards. Does this ring true with your own experiences?

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Synarch, I think you picked a very good choice of words for that one. I agree, wholeheartedly.

Oaky, what makes you abandon reason?

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Sometimes in a relationship, the emotions have to win out over logic. For instance, moving to be with your loved one when you know it makes more financial sense to stay where you are. Showing them you care and are invested.

Also, choosing to hold your tongue because you care about someone when you know they're making an irrational decision and you know they just want your support rather than your sage advice.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Oaky, what makes you abandon reason?
Since values are based on our emotions, it is not easy to logically explain the strength that beliefs and values can have over what is rational.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

They just are... This seems to be the quickest answer, but I'm sure a better one is hiding somewhere. No need to worry about it right now.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Sometimes in a relationship, the emotions have to win out over logic. For instance, moving to be with your loved one when you know it makes more financial sense to stay where you are. Showing them you care and are invested.

Also, choosing to hold your tongue because you care about someone when you know they're making an irrational decision and you know they just want your support rather than your sage advice.

Alright, I understand this. What about basing your actions on emotions in regards to yourself (I hope that makes sense)?

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Alright, I understand this. What about basing your actions on emotions in regards to yourself (I hope that makes sense)?

Well, I think an example of that might be choosing to take a chance on fulfilling a lifelong dream even though you know very few people succeed at it, etc. Knowing it's not exactly logical or "smart," but knowing you have to do it to satisfy a piece of your soul.