User Tag List

First 456

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Blairvoyant View Post
    It's much more efficient to think of it as 'fuzzy logic' - neural networks, hormone levels, probabilities, statistics.

Sure, it's probably theoretically possible to describe it in a complete logical system accounting for every particle in the body and the environment, but modeling that would be physically impossible.
    The funny thing is that most objective reality is this way, too - it's just that the variances are so small and infrequent that our brains simply disregard them. Of course, it becomes a huge issue when we're trying to tie quantum and relativistic physics together.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I see reason as a process, and emotions as one of the many inputs to that process; in other words, a form of data. We should no more neglect emotional data than other data, lest our decision be flawed. That being said, emotional data should not automatically be given more weight than other data. All must be assessed on their own merits.

Several people have mentioned using emotions as a sort of "sanity check" on a decision, or "listening to your heart" if it seems uncomfortable with an apparently rational decision. This sounds less like emotion than intuition to me. If I am uncomfortable with a rational decision, or I just don't seem to be able to reach one, my intuition often points me in the right direction. It allows me to fill in the blanks and see what reason alone cannot yet show me, perhaps because I have incomplete or faulty information, or I am looking at things from the wrong perspective.

As for values, values-based reasoning isn't inherently flawed. Individual views on abortion aside, the abortion clinic example is a good illustration. Many people have as a value that abortion should be prevented. Some of these people try to bomb clinics and harrass patients. Others promote access to birth control or volunteer with organizations that help women with crisis pregnancies. Both are acting on their values, but the actions of the second group will prevent more abortions than those of the first, and thus have a better basis in reason.

Values are inputs to the decision-making process, like emotions. Values tell us "why" something should be done, and what is important to us. Note that reason can be used in determining values, with other even more fundamental values as inputs to that process.

ThatGirl

Even when I have made an emotional decision I chose to do so logically. Knowing that the cost vs benefit factor was in favor of an emotional more so than a logical outcome.

Keeping in mind the final goal, and weaving between logic an emotion is something that comes naturally to me. I cannot recall a time I have ever gone against that.

MBTI
    ENTP

well when you're weighing options... its somthing like a tiebreaker.
    when logic brings your options down to a stalemate... its either based on whim or by flipping a coin.

ThatGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Nescio View Post
    well when you're weighing options... its somthing like a tiebreaker.
    when logic brings your options down to a stalemate... its either based on whim or by flipping a coin.
    Not necessarily.