User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INTP

What do I want? - Emotional
    Why do I want it? - Emotional/Rational
    How do I achieve it? - Rational
    I'll get you my pretty, and your little hermit crab too!

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    I prefer emotional thinking. It's easier to claim you were wrong because then you just have to claim that your feelings changed.
    That's true- that's what an ex girlfriend of mine always did.. I can't say it really worked in her favor because I'd start using the Socratic method on her which would just piss her off and make me feel like I proved my point (a.k.a: A proud asshole).
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

1) understand that emotional state influences thoughts. You can see this by looking on the physical level; mood hormones influence the statistical weighting of your neurons, so some are more likely to fire when you're happy than when you're sad, which means you might make different decisions even though they are both entirely logical.
    2) understand that emotional expression influences other people much more than complex logic, which requires them to have an internal dialogue matching your own. To make a convincing argument, it may be necessary to include appeals to emotion, force etc.
    3) sometimes the logical thing to do isn't the thing that will make you happier. While it may seem like it is always a good idea to hold off on immediate gratification for something better down the road, you have to remember that dopamine and serotonin levels affect how quickly we will get there, and the only way to boost them is with gratification.
    The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together. ~ rCoxI ~ INfj ~ 5w6 so/sp

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

As I find it difficult to truly like another person, when I do -- I trust that person inexplicably. From there on, with that particular person, I tend to listen to my heart over my head. I berate myself later for doing such though. Always.

Emotionally dealing with situations bothers me as I find it a waste of time. If I can't logically, rationally get to answer, I wait. I attempt to take it out of the equation.
    This rarely works.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/so
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by ReflecttcelfeR View Post
    When does making decisions with emotions fit better than reason in the eyes of NT's, if at all?
    When the possibility of hurting someone else is there (usually an F, I guess). It has to be someone I really, really like, however. Otherwise I usually just trudge on with my rationale.
    Enneagram: 5w4 5-9-2 (5w4 9w1 2w1) sp/so

"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Greg King
    The worst mistake people make in political arguments is assuming that the other side is not trying to do the right thing. This simple oversight makes productive conversation nearly impossible.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by ReflecttcelfeR View Post
    When does making decisions with emotions fit better than reason in the eyes of NT's, if at all?
    I hate saying "emotional" but I think "relational thinking" is sometimes better in situations involving... RELATIONSHIPS.

I see so many NT relationships crash and burn because the NT tries to treat it like something to pick apart logically. Relationships aren't about logic. They're about commitment to another human being, and sharing good times together, and becoming emotionally intimate. Sometimes you gotta lay the logical deconstruction aside. (That might be the biggest thing I learned in many many years of being with an ISFJ.)

Also, relationships includes "relationships with self."
    Finding personal happiness and fulfillment.

You can sit and create logical arguments over what makes sense -- what job to pursue, what degrees to get, what makes sense to chase down. But you know what? sometimes what makes sense on paper leaves your heart cold and you feel disinterested and detached. In these times, you learn to listen to your heart even if you can't explain why, or you might think it's irrational. In the end, we live in order to feel alive, and always making a justifiably "rational" decision won't leave you feeling alive.

When you need to drive a nail, use a hammer.
    When you need to turn a screw, don't use a hammer.
    There's "rationality" for you.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Senior Thread Terminator Aerithria's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

I only specifically call upon emotion to make decisions when the options present themselves to be equally logical.

However, it's not often that I can make a decision without emotional influence. It isn't rational to choose to be miserable, after all.
    [insert funny quote/saying/etc.]

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Emotions are more important when dealing with other people.

and...

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I hate saying "emotional" but I think "relational thinking" is sometimes better in situations involving... RELATIONSHIPS.

I see so many NT relationships crash and burn because the NT tries to treat it like something to pick apart logically. Relationships aren't about logic. They're about commitment to another human being, and sharing good times together, and becoming emotionally intimate. Sometimes you gotta lay the logical deconstruction aside. (That might be the biggest thing I learned in many many years of being with an ISFJ.)

Also, relationships includes "relationships with self."
    Finding personal happiness and fulfillment.

You can sit and create logical arguments over what makes sense -- what job to pursue, what degrees to get, what makes sense to chase down. But you know what? sometimes what makes sense on paper leaves your heart cold and you feel disinterested and detached. In these times, you learn to listen to your heart even if you can't explain why, or you might think it's irrational. In the end, we live in order to feel alive, and always making a justifiably "rational" decision won't leave you feeling alive.

When you need to drive a nail, use a hammer.
    When you need to turn a screw, don't use a hammer.
    There's "rationality" for you.
    Emotions ARE relational thinking. It's so important to human survival that we evolved an entirely separate cognitive mechanism from that which deals with non-human objects. Emotions are usually very logical... it's just that the other-than-human logic system generally can't handle the parameters and priorities that the emotive system deals with. The flip side to this is that sometimes the emotive system overpowers the other-than-human logic system, anthropomorphizing the world. Of course, without that, we would have never domesticated animals.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Emotions are usually very logical...
    That's more of a stretch.

I'll grant you "fuzzy logic" but that's it -- they are not necessarily consistent between individuals nor predictable, they are partially related but not completely, and people can create emotional states that might not be useful to their success, leading to distorted logic.

This is why we make a distinction in MBTI between Feeling values and emotions. They actually are somewhat connected but not identical.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    That's more of a stretch.

I'll grant you "fuzzy logic" but that's it -- they are not necessarily consistent between individuals nor predictable, they are partially related but not completely, and people can create emotional states that might not be useful to their success, leading to distorted logic.

This is why we make a distinction in MBTI between Feeling values and emotions. They actually are somewhat connected but not identical.
    Isnt emotions ultimately logical, fit in a system in which chemicals control our mood? It may be hard to understand because its so deep compared to mathematical logic, in which there usually is one or a few answers to a question. But an omnipotent being would be able to analyse emotions correctly with logical precision. But maybe its to much for we mortals to handle.