User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

It really depends on the issue and there are rare cases where either absolute emotion or absolute reason is best.

If the issue deals with nature/universe, use mostly reason
    If the issue deals with people, use mostly emotion
    "People often say that this or that person has not yet found himself. But the self is not something one finds; it is something one creates." - Thomas Szasz

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ReflecttcelfeR View Post
    When does making decisions with emotions fit better than reason in the eyes of NT's, if at all?
    I prefer emotional thinking. It's easier to claim you were wrong because then you just have to claim that your feelings changed.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

So it's a threshold of sorts?

Makes sense.

Any examples of that occuring?
    Well, you can call the rational parent who takes his time caring for his child in place of a more important matter an act of irrationality. The value of caring for the child is higher than doing the more important matter he had missed or postponed.

ReflecTcelfeR

Do you trust the emotions that you have? Wondering whether what you feel is how you feel about the subject you are discussing? I remember a description of INTP's saying that when an INTP argues they are trying to convince themselves as well as the person there accusation, or defense is made towards. Does this ring true with your own experiences?

ReflecTcelfeR

Synarch, I think you picked a very good choice of words for that one. I agree, wholeheartedly.

Oaky, what makes you abandon reason?

MBTI
    INTP

Sometimes in a relationship, the emotions have to win out over logic. For instance, moving to be with your loved one when you know it makes more financial sense to stay where you are. Showing them you care and are invested.

Also, choosing to hold your tongue because you care about someone when you know they're making an irrational decision and you know they just want your support rather than your sage advice.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Oaky, what makes you abandon reason?
    Since values are based on our emotions, it is not easy to logically explain the strength that beliefs and values can have over what is rational.

ReflecTcelfeR

They just are... This seems to be the quickest answer, but I'm sure a better one is hiding somewhere. No need to worry about it right now.

ReflecTcelfeR

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Sometimes in a relationship, the emotions have to win out over logic. For instance, moving to be with your loved one when you know it makes more financial sense to stay where you are. Showing them you care and are invested.

Also, choosing to hold your tongue because you care about someone when you know they're making an irrational decision and you know they just want your support rather than your sage advice.
    Alright, I understand this. What about basing your actions on emotions in regards to yourself (I hope that makes sense)?

MBTI
    INTP

Alright, I understand this. What about basing your actions on emotions in regards to yourself (I hope that makes sense)?
    Well, I think an example of that might be choosing to take a chance on fulfilling a lifelong dream even though you know very few people succeed at it, etc. Knowing it's not exactly logical or "smart," but knowing you have to do it to satisfy a piece of your soul.
    Something Witty