User Tag List

12 Last

ReflecTcelfeR

Default We Talk About the Good A Lot.

So let's delve into a known, but relatively avoided area. The Shadow Functions!

They say that this is caused by stress, which is a rather vague 'switch' to flip when you think about this subject, because a great number of things cause distress. What has triggered your shadow functions to emerge?

I'm pretty sure I took the Myer Briggs test during one of these fits. I'm an ENTP at heart, however this brings up another aspect I brought up in other threads that I have created. Is being effective at your shadow functions cancel out the negativity within them, or does it just make you effective when you are under stress?

ThatGirl

When I no longer have the ability to create a desirable result as I am going about it.

MBTI
    INTJ

I remember reading that if you start acting out your shadow, you become the worst possible variation of your opposite type. I’m farley certain that most healthy INTJ’s aren’t belligerent dickheads who whine about other peoples’ non-punctuality- rather, I think that some other personality is undergoing so much stress that they start acting like lithesome dickhead INTJs.

Now, I’m not sure if you become your total opposite (Like me becoming an ESFP) or if only some of your personality letters change (such as me becoming an ISTP)
    Q: "What is the process of seeking the truth?"
    A: "Distilled liquor"

Q: "If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?"
    A: "Between a starving prostitute and a steak sandwich."

Q:How would a mathematician capture an elephant?
    A:He would build a cage, step inside, and rename his new location as "outside."

MBTI
    SEXY

Oh boy, function theory. Trying to explain completely unrelated events with a random unverifiable theory. I've been stressed and acting weird in my life, but 'shadow type' just sounds like something from a bad video game.
    (removed)

You took the MBTI while having a fit of what?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ObeyBunny View Post
    I remember reading that if you start acting out your shadow, you become the worst possible variation of your opposite type. I’m farley certain that most healthy INTJ’s aren’t belligerent dickheads who whine about other peoples’ non-punctuality- rather, I think that some other personality is undergoing so much stress that they start acting like lithesome dickhead INTJs.

Now, I’m not sure if you become your total opposite (Like me becoming an ESFP) or if only some of your personality letters change (such as me becoming an ISTP)
    If you become your shadow type introversion and judging change but intuition and thinking remain, making you an ENTP.
    Ne > Ti > Si >> Te > Se >> Fe > Fi > Ni
    5 so/sp
    Chaotic Neutral/Evil

ReflecTcelfeR

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    You took the MBTI while having a fit of what?
    A fit of depression.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2

The shadow functions are your unused functions. For you, they'd be Ni, Te, Fi, and Se. They aren't points of distress for people. They simply lie dormant. You can use them but you don't feel like yourself when you do.

The function that causes distress through use is your inferior. You may not always understand it because it's very opposite your primary drive in life (Si vs Ne) but it doesn't not feel like "you". It's the switch that flips.

Just thought I'd clarify that.

I've sorted out my Ti and I acknowledge that I don't use my dormant functions, like Si, very well. Previously when using Ti, I would go to a very dark and lonely place. Not anymore but I still find it difficult to find motivation in a life that seems to think I have nothing to offer to the world. I continue on because I want to see what I become .
    "... you think deeply about stuff [that] nobody cares about and hardly anybody can understand you." ~ Peguy talking about Ni users. So true.

Senior Member Misty_Mountain_Rose's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Whenever I've been in a state of what I guess would be considered my 'shadow' I have known it. Looking back, they are clearly defined. During those times, any rational judgement I had went out the window. I became a creature of almost no thought of consequences and entirely about in-the-moment, do-what-feels-good hedonism. I would say they were aweful times (They brought on some very interesting consequences) but some of them were the most memorable of my life.

Did I feel like myself? No. Was that in and of itself stressful? Somewhat. When I look back and go 'what was I thinking??' I realize, I wasn't. At all.

There are some times when it does an INT good to get out of their heads. It makes you appreciate it more when you get back 'home'.
    Embrace the possibilities.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Shadow functions are for the weak.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf