User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Haha, same reason sports is boring.
    If you're into following individual athletes alone. I like team sports.

MBTI
    FREE

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    If you're into following individual athletes alone. I like team sports.
    Team poetry?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Blairvoyant View Post
    It's irrelevant that your argument is flawed?

Oh right, you have trouble with analogies. Sorry, that was inconsiderate of me.

This is incorrect. Obselescence of a predecessor does not imply obselescence of the child process. In fact, that is the opposite of the truth; a child process or innovation is a prerequisite for obsolescence. The fact that there are politics and modern systems of thought which are evolved from enlightenment thinking is evidence that enlightenment thinking is obsolete.
    First, there is no need to commit ad hominem fallacies, which can only diminish your logical and scientific integrity. Second, your analogy is a false one indeed as is your last statement, which is incorrect in a pure sense. The error in your reasoning is you are evidently looking at things from an empirical point of view. However, from a rational point of view some of the items of thought we now have necessarily require enlightenment ideas, some of which are timeless, and without which would collapse. In other words, Ricardo's Law of Comparative Advantage is still used today and is timeless as a mathematical proof is. Therefore, to demonstrate that Ricardo's law is obsolete you would need to show that comparative advantage is no longer used or invalid, which I assure you is a futile task since it is widely used and it is based on a timeless proof. The same holds for other things, and you would ascertain the same conclusion if you drew a distinction between rational and historical knowledge. Without this distinction, your statement is tantamount to saying basic arithmetic is obsolete because we now have calculus...Thus, you have committed the fallacy of a false analogy, and tried to force it through by coupling it with an ad hominem fallacy.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Team poetry?
    What's the goal?

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Provoker View Post
    some of which are timeless.
    And some are not. Namely, the one about never appealing to your sense of aesthetics. You might as well not wear clothing except when necessary to stave off extreme temperatures, nor eat anything but bread and water. Sex? Perish the thought, lest it produce thought-offspring while you are trying very hard to think about something oh-so-important. Indulge in hygiene only when prompted by sanitary concerns.

You seem to be doing quite fine with analogies after all. Are you sure it requires as much squinting as you initially claimed?
    The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together. ~ rCoxI ~ INfj ~ 5w6 so/sp

MBTI
    FREE

What's the goal?
    I don't understand what you mean? What is the goal of anything... enjoyment, fulfillment, etc.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    FREE

Quote Originally Posted by Provoker View Post
    First, there is no need to commit ad hominem fallacies, which can only diminish your logical and scientific integrity. Second, your analogy is a false one indeed as is your last statement, which is incorrect in a pure sense. The error in your reasoning is you are evidently looking at things from an empirical point of view. However, from a rational point of view some of the items of thought we now have necessarily require enlightenment ideas, some of which are timeless, and without which would collapse. In other words, Ricardo's Law of Comparative Advantage is still used today and is timeless as a mathematical proof is. Therefore, to demonstrate that Ricardo's law is obsolete you would need to show that comparative advantage is no longer used or invalid, which I assure you is a futile task since it is widely used and it is based on a timeless proof. The same holds for other things, and you would ascertain the same conclusion if you drew a distinction between rational and historical knowledge. Without this distinction, your statement is tantamount to saying basic arithmetic is obsolete because we now have calculus...Thus, you have committed the fallacy of a false analogy, and tried to force it through by coupling it with an ad hominem fallacy.
    Jesus, I just read some of your past posts/threads and realized that they were perhaps some of the silliest I have ever read. I say that because I indeed remember them: remember reading them; remember thinking to myself about how stupid/silly/weird they were; but I didn't remember you.

I have to ask (because frankly I am unable to tell when someone is joking or not, especially with prolonged satire and such) if you are indeed a troll or if you actually believe some of the stuff you write? Is it a joke or what?

Edit: I understand if the words I'm writing seem hostile, but they aren't meant to be. I'm seriously just asking because I'm curious. I feel like I'm reading some modern age A Modest Proposal.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ

And some are not. Namely, the one about never appealing to your sense of aesthetics.
    Demonstration, please.

You might as well not wear clothing except when necessary to stave off extreme temperatures, nor eat anything but bread and water. Sex? Perish the thought, lest it produce thought-offspring while you are trying very hard to think about something oh-so-important. Indulge in hygiene only when prompted by sanitary concerns.
    So were enlightened thinkers like Mozart, Kant, and Smith really not enlightened in my sense of the term because they dressed decently?

You seem to be doing quite fine with analogies after all. Are you sure it requires as much squinting as you initially claimed?
    The word 'analogy' never came up in my initial post; therefore, by making this point your imagination has led you beyond the limits of reason. The reason is that analogies denote an explicitly logical relation between phenomena. Therefore, there is a considerable difference between the statement, 'court is to lawyer as ring is to boxer' and the statement 'he was feeling bad and so tricycle," in that the former is logical while the latter is nonsense.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

I don't understand what you mean? What is the goal of anything... enjoyment, fulfillment, etc.
    Team poetry doesn't work because there's no way of saying that the team accomplished anything as a whole, other than producing a poem. Any further valuation is entirely subjective, and that's fine. However, there's no way you can feel any sort of association with the sense of accomplishment.

MBTI
    FREE

Team poetry doesn't work because there's no way of saying that the team accomplished anything as a whole, other than producing a poem. Any further valuation is entirely subjective, and that's fine. However, there's no way you can feel any sort of association with the sense of accomplishment.
    And what is a football team accomplishing? Is it objectively better than a poem?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]