• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTP musicians

rfossr

MBTI Type
INTP
Are there any? I'm an aspiring singer/songwriter but it seems like intp and music=oil and vinegar

rfossr

MBTI Type
INTP
very very witty. i guess the question is more directed at the song writing aspect cause i can play and sing but my writing always lacks emotion-the kind of emotion people relate to

Reflection

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
very very witty. i guess the question is more directed at the song writing aspect cause i can play and sing but my writing always lacks emotion-the kind of emotion people relate to

Oh thank you.

Answering the original question. Yes. I'm a singer/songwriter as well, but my problem is when I try to do emotion, I do too much of it. It turns out very whiny and depressing, so I steer clear of it.

Not to mention it's completely insincere, and music should never be insincere.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Tallulah is too.

Not me though, I got a keyboard and I made some attempts to playing instruments, but I pretty much such ass. I am a-rhytmic, I have absolutely no auditory memory, and I can only play some stuff which I have studied into my soul very hard. And I then have to keep playing it or I will loose the ability to play it. :<

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP

I think maybe the frustration comes from trying to write F-type songs. I think it's possible to write songs people relate to that aren't saturated in feelery language, ala Tom Petty.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh, I thought this was about famous ones. I was thinking of Frank Black of the Pixies and David Byrne of Talking Heads, but they could be ENTP....

Anyhow, I've known INTPs who were really into music, and at least one INTP musician.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Can't say I can think of any INTP musicians, but I do know NTPs are more than capable of writing music. Comedic musicians (Jon Jajoie, Weird Al, etc.) are usually ENTP.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
OH! Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails)- INTP. :yes:

Stevo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I play guitar. Mostly acoustic. I try to write my own music but I don't know what to do with the individual figures I write more often than not. Also, what I do write tends to be very obtuse and experimental. Spacey as hell, as well.

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thomas Dolby and Mark Mothersbaugh of Devo might be INTPs. I suspect some INTP musicians in the electronica genre.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Some possibilities:
Robert Fripp from King Crimson
George Harrison
Anthony Phillips

Idioteque

Musicians I believe are INTP's:

Maynard James Keenan (Tool)
Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree)
Johnny Greenwood (Radiohead)
Roger Waters (Pink Floyd)
Thurston Moore & Kim Gordon (Sonic Youth)
Lou Reed (Velvet Underground)

Not completly sure though. I actually think INTP's in general are alot more interested in music in contrary to what you believe, especially 5w4's.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Music is the one thing that keeps me out of my thoughts because it's the only thing loud enough to drown them out, this being said, music has done wonders to keep me from getting too detached from this world. And I agree with that 5w4 as I am that.

Mipp

MBTI Type
INTP
Not all music has to be about feelings -- or what I called cliched 'sensitive guy with a guitar' lyrics, ie "Girl, your eyes are as bluuuuue as the sky."

Other possible topics for lyrics:
Politics
History
Religion or the lack thereof (we need more excellent atheist music; see XTC's "Dear God" sometime)
Betrayal
Triumphing over circumstance
Man against nature
Perseverance
The desire for power and its consequences
Insanity
Sex (well, we INTPs are very sexual beings)
Achieving a higher conscienceness
Advocating for the rights of the downtrodden
Pride in accomplishment
The need for independence
Standing strong against the onslaught of a world which does not understand you

One of the reasons why metal is my favorite musical genre is that the lyrical content is often quite varied. There are ballads and love songs, but they're in the minority compared to socially-conscious songs (Rage Against The Machine, for example), or satirical, over-the-top humor (some of Type O Negative's catelogue) or even good ol' fashioned songs about Satan (see: Danzig).

BÃ¥rris

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I play a lot of bassoon. I used to play clarinet too.

I guess I could get into songwriting if I wanted to, but I'm a little too lazy for that.

Reflection

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I'm kinda hoping Bowie is an INTP. It would be so awesome to be able to claim him as one of our own. Therefore, I shall have to refrain from typing him. :D