User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: INTP musicians

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

he is confident yet reserved and private, quirky, different, experimental, thinking - how could he not be
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by InsatiableCuriosity View Post
    he is confident yet reserved and private, quirky, different, experimental, thinking - how could he not be
    Well, of course.
    Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Probably time I went to sleep - I have been journeying around the world of music past and present on youtube
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

My dad was a band director, and I've always been musically talented.

I started piano when I was five and it's been my primary instrument all my life. I am not really a "play by music" person, although I'm excellent at sight reading; my natural mode is "by ear" and I never liked to play what was on the page, I liked to add things to it in order to make it better or more interesting. I remember starting to ad lib music at about 5-7 years into my musical studies, and started composing outright original works by about year 10. I made regional choir in high school, as well as district band in Pennsylvania on oboe. I also learned how to play pipe organ and subbed occasionally and played for weddings.

I was involved in church music all my life and developed a worship team for ten years at my last church, before I left. I was a rhythm pianist for our band (electric and acoustic guitar, percussion, drums, singers) as well as the "fill in" -- I'd come to church and fill in music wherever it was needed, whether communion, dedication service, presentation, whatever. My favorite times in church were just sitting at the piano with my eyes shut, playing variations on different songs I knew in order to create a particular mood while people came up for communion. For me it was very much function-related. INTPs seem to see a connection between beauty and truth, and musical structure is a type of inherent physical truth... I would toss things into the mix, then listen to where they were going and follow them to their rational conclusion, and I would keep adding new things to see how they impacted the big picture pattern I was part of and following them too. People were often very moved by my playing.

I think the thing is that the more Ti INTPs will have more trouble, they'll do better with Bach and other structured music and less like improvisation. I'm very Ne in how I engage the world, with a good aesthetic sense, and so I'm much more a "try something, then weave it all together based on what happens" person.

I also think artistic skill is not necessarily part of type. I have INTP friends who can't carry a tune to save their lives. But there are some of us here who are actually decent musicians (Tallulah plays guitar in a band, for example). It depends on natural giftings and how much rigid we are or aren't. I'm very P and flex to all the cues around me. If we do have musical talent and are willing to listen to what is around us, the INTP strengths allow for some potent creativity in terms of creating a coherent vision.

EDIT: Let's talk about writing lyrics a moment (due to the OP's aspiring songwriter comment). INTPs need to be careful because we are rational... but good lyrics are about writing things that impact people rather than writing a rational treatise on life. I found I had to loosen up, so to speak, and worry more about the musical hook and focus on lines that would stick emotionally rather than being too complicated. I think some of the more profound lyricists are NFJ types, while SFPs seem to create some great "fun" hooks.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

If I didn't need to get some sleep I would love to chat about creativity and the VERY Ne - me too so another time Jen?? I think it enhances the Fi.

G'night all

PS here is self-taught maestro gypsy flamenco guitarist - Manitas de Plata YouTube - manitas de plata (2/15)
    — Richard P. Feynman

author unknown

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by InsatiableCuriosity View Post
    I suspect Bowie is an INTP as well
    David Bowie is VERY intellectual and adaptable.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Buckethead.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBPBSkrnO1M&feature=fvw"]this is all improvised[/YOUTUBE]

He not only has a virtuoso command of his instrument but also a deep understanding of musical theory. He was a prodigy, already performing infront of audiences at age 16(and only a year after beginning lessons). Hes super shy and according to those who have worked with him hes a very strange person even when not putting on his stage act.
    Some people even theorize that hes some sort of autistic savant.
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh? wgah'nagl fhtagn

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I think I would have made a good musician. I have excellent rhythm and acoustical memory but I never had any encouragement to pursue anything as a child (not infrequent among us). Plus I only had a deep interest, I never thought I had any aptitude or talent because I had a sister (probably an unstable ESFP) that was "artistically inclined"--musician and artist--she drew well and play several intruments. So, I just stayed out of the mix because I wouldn't be alive now if I even remotely tried to draw the spotlight off of her.

I'd still like to learn to play something. String or percussion. And yes, I'm 5w/4, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
    You mean oil and water?
    Maybe that was a Freudian slip and he answered his own question, lol.

It would seem to me that being a musician would go pretty well with INTPS, especially as a songwriting musician. I'ts said that INTPs are well suited to work as free-lance writers among a lot of other careers, so I figure it would.

I've never been diagnosed by a "professional," but I've read up a lot on Carl Young and INTPS. Everything I've read describes me better than any theory as far as INTPs.

I'm a solo instrumentalist/singer and do a little songwriting. Most songwriters and musicians I know personally (or famous ones I don't) seem to be INTB to me more than anything, at least the ones I'm a fan of do. So maybe that's just my bias.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

If Steve Albini's not an INTP, I don't know who is. I could see it for Buckethead as well, but it's impossible to say, since he's so reclusive.

I think Bowie and Reznor are both almost certainly INTJs, though.
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --