User Tag List

First 12

Okay, okay, maybe it's more of the question "Can they be aware of each other and keep the same constraints that their realities are the same?" But I don't know how to answer that.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    INTp

Did you consider the fact that time is a dimension as well. If so, would time be the same thing in both "dimensions". (I put that in quotation marks because a dimension i really just a direction)

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Time is a rate of change of spatial dimensions; take away the z axis from the way we represent the earth, and substitute with time (for visualization purposes). Since the speed of light is the limit between matter and energy, you can't have movement faster than the speed of light. That's an upper boundary to the first derivative of our function (represented on the Z axis), that is - its speed of change.

Gravity influences the way light propagates (the stronger the slower), thus the first derivative of this boundary will change more slowly in the bigger planet. Thus, suppose you shot two photons, one from smaller -> bigger, another one from bigger -> smaller. The first will travel faster than the second, which means that people in the bigger planet will experience the smaller planet as being "faster", and vice versa.

I think.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Time is a rate of change of spatial dimensions; take away the z axis from the way we represent the earth, and substitute with time (for visualization purposes). Since the speed of light is the limit between matter and energy, you can't have movement faster than the speed of light. That's an upper boundary to the first derivative of our function (represented on the Z axis), that is - its speed of change.

Gravity influences the way light propagates (the stronger the slower), thus the first derivative of this boundary will change more slowly in the bigger planet. Thus, suppose you shot two photons, one from smaller -> bigger, another one from bigger -> smaller. The first will travel faster than the second, which means that people in the bigger planet will experience the smaller planet as being "faster", and vice versa.

I think.
    Yeah I think that's true, but it would be very very minimal and barily measurable if at all.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Yeah I think that's true, but it would be very very minimal and barily measurable if at all.
    Definitely. I don't think it'd even be measurable tbh, but...I guess that the mechanism would still be working. Although, it would equally be incorrect to think that it's a "real" mechanism - light and gravity change the world we live in, so we lack an "objective" perspective
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    Let's say you take the Earth and put a road around the equator of the Earth so that you could drive around it. Now you set your cruise control for say 200mph.

Then let's say we take the Earth and everything on it and copy it and then divide all mass by 1/2 and put it in a parallel dimension; so we have two existing representations of Earth and you are going 200mph in each Earth and each Earth experiences the exact same occurrences. So an observer on both Earths experiences the same things.

Assumption: Time is linear.

Implications of assumption: If time is linear and both Earths have the exact same experience, then you must be going the same speed on both Earths because speed is dependent on time.

Problem: From the bigger Earth's perspective, the car on the smaller Earth is traveling at a smaller speed. And from the smaller Earth's perspective, the car on the bigger Earth is traveling at a greater speed, but they are experiencing the exact same realities from their perspectives, but have different relative speeds, suggesting a distortion between how time is perceived in one versus the other. So how do we interpret this? And is this the basis for Einstein's theory of relativity?

I want to say that this proves that time can't really be linear, or perhaps is relative. What would you say?

General Relativity. Time slows down with an increase in gravity, less gravity means faster moving time. Of course to the person experiencing this

Better Idea: You said it had half the mass? You didnt say WHAT mass you took away. And you said it was on the Equater too.

The second earth has been cut in half. It still has the same circumference of the originial earth therefore they both go at the same speed.

I WIN
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh? wgah'nagl fhtagn

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    X/0

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    Okay, okay, maybe it's more of the question "Can they be aware of each other and keep the same constraints that their realities are the same?" But I don't know how to answer that.
    I don't think so. Even though they are proportionally the same, we don't know how a much smaller gravity can effect the lifestyle of the two planets. Different needs might arise that one reality doesn't have to deal with and vise versa. Minerals and resources might not even appear in one planet (if the needed preasure is not there..etc) which will effect how that civilization will evolve.

If you put a miniture version of yourself on the moon, regardless of what size you make him, he would react differently to the gravity in the moon compare to if he was on Earth . So two planets with different sizes would not look identical because they would not evolve the same if they are govern by the same set of rules.

This is assuming that both planets follow the same rules that our universe follow since scientist have been theorizing that parallel universes might have completely different set of laws than our own universe.

Since were discusting about Einstein's theory regarding time and perspective:

Einstein postulate that time is not linear because the faster you move in space the slower you move in time (the fourth dimension). Of course an exception is light because light travels at a fix rate regardless of how fast someone is moving.

That means if your moving at 60 km/s or 1.5 x 10^8 km/s , light will always travel at 3.0 x 10^8 km/s, the reason being is you're traveling slower in time as you travel faster in space. Of course we know that the faster you travel the more massive you become thus the more energy it would take to push you faster. According to Einstein's famous formula, it would require an infinite amount of energy to push a small mass to the speed of light (and scientist are saying that it is impossible to go FTL, so it's up to future generation of scientist to prove Einstein wrong). Scientist theorized that anything moving faster than the speed of light would be traveling backward in time. Wonder how light would look traveling backward in time? So to answer the original question, perspective only differ significantly when traveling at a very high velocity.
    This post grammatical errors had been intentionally left uncorrected.