• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] Gift-Buying for INTJs - What do they want???!!!

Reflection

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
My INTJ friend and I have a great strategy. We ask each other! Seriously, though, INTJs like practical things, they have no use for pretty baubles. In my experience, books from their field of expertise are highly appreciated (or else fiction that you know they like and don't yet have). Practicality, that's the one.

Your best bet is finding out what they meant to buy for themselves and then getting it before they have the chance to. Someone said that before, but yeah, that's about right.

Weber

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
My INTJ friend and I have a great strategy. We ask each other! Seriously, though, INTJs like practical things, they have no use for pretty baubles. In my experience, books from their field of expertise are highly appreciated (or else fiction that you know they like and don't yet have). Practicality, that's the one.

Your best bet is finding out what they meant to buy for themselves and then getting it before they have the chance to. Someone said that before, but yeah, that's about right.

This. It's not that hard, really.

sammielynn5

MBTI Type
ENFP
So many awesome ideas! I'm putting together a list of future gift ideas for my INTJ hubby. I know the majority of his passions which helps in picking out a personalized gift idea, but if its some thing he already wants, i usually dont get it because:

A) he buys every thing he wants himself because its...logical
B) when he doesnt, i always buy the wrong model, version, type, whatever

thanks for all the help though!

Idioteque

World domination.

So get him a supersecret underground base, nuclear weapons and his own private army of ninjas.

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
I like consumables; food, chocolate, wine, whiskey, etc.

Practical things are good, too.

I don't novelty things. They take up space and are hard to get rid of.

Complaining about a gift is poor form in my opinion. At worst the gift is useless, there's no need to complain about it.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If I am given something I do not like or cannot use (a frequent occurrence), I pass it on to someone else, so at least it does not go to waste.

SinistralPal

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I am not an INTJ, but if I was, I think I would ADORE a new pair of socks.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Exactly! No useless decoration, and no surprises if possible.
Yes, something practical and functional is ideal, or informative and enjoyable like a book or CD. It's hard to miss if someone gets me something I have made clear that I would like. On the other hand, nothing compares with a surprise when someone puts the thought and effort into getting it right. It shows me that the giver really cares about me, and understands me. Alas, this is quite rare.

blue mu

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4-5
i got my intj boyfriend a whole bunch of funny stuff. a whole bunch of hilariously stupid toys :) including:
a jesus bobble-head (ironic as he's borderline athiest)
fortune cookie band-aids that had messages on them (that was dumb, lucky numbers: 3, 4, 17)
a cookie cutter shaped like a fetus (HA)
he laughed his ass off. to him i think it was thoughtful, whilst not being smothering. i also made him some almond toffee, which i think he really appreciated ;)

on his birthday i put a cake i decorated inside a box, complete with forks, candles, plates, napkins, candy and a lighter. it was a little party in a box :) and i rigged it so that when he opened it music would start playing and a balloon would come out. i think he enjoyed the cleverness :) and again he laughed his ass off. it's funny how someone so outwardly cold could lighten up so quick.

these worked for me!! feel free to use them :) but beware: you might just end up with an intj.. aah! :)

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Gift Cards! I have been asking for World Market & Pier One gift cards for years. No one ever got me one, not a single time. Finally, the one intelligent child we have did get me one for Christmas. I was veclempt. People, it's not like you have no clue where I shop all year long. I exempt ENFJ man from this, he can't seem to get past the "impersonal" factor of gift cards.

blue mu

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4-5
that's really funny onelonelylove. my dad and boyfriend are also both intj. i tested infp for a very long time, although now i'm sure i'm not. interesting how these things happen, though.

basic summary of my last post: intjs have a very dark humor. so any kind of gift that's comedically inappropriate :) and foods. but they're picky so watch out!

sciguy90

Whenever I'm asked what I want for Christmas, I always just list things I was planning on buying or was too lazy to buy in the first place.

Phatlip

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Aww Satine, that was such a cute story :3
I always ask for money, so I can use that to get exactly what I want. I usually can't think of many things I want anyway, at least not right there on the spot when I'm asked. If I get specific and tell people exactly which thing I want they'll usually go "Uhh can you write that down or something cause I won't remember that", or something to that effect. :p I never understood gift cards, but if you give me one I'll use it. Actually that applies for most gifts I think; for example my grandmother got me a coconut with a face carved into it, which I thought was a weird ift at first, but I hung it on the doorknob to my room.
I don't see the point of being cryptic and secret. The surprise really does nothing for me, and if anything I feel like I'm forced to act enthusiastically. I wouldn't mind being there when you pick out the gift. At least that way I know you're getting the right thing. :) I don't know if I speak for all INTJs though.

Mouse Army

MBTI Type
INFP
I got my coworker INTJ these funny file folders for Christmas. He told me he needed some folders, so I took him up on it!

I have a big crush on him, so I was glad he liked the gift :wubbie:

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Actually, as of recently, my INTJ (maybe it's coz he's over 30 now?) has expressed that he's started to appreciate and prefer thoughtful gifts, personalized ones that show him I know him. He's not expecting this from anyone else but me (i've been trying to do that for years, its frigging hard, but my Fi demands personalization :steam:). His birthday gift this year 75 percent personal and 25 percent practical (though his christmas gift was all practical again, though it showed I cared as he'd been muttering about getting it and not getting around to it for like months now). Hooray for tertiary Fi :D

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I got my coworker INTJ these funny file folders for Christmas. He told me he needed some folders, so I took him up on it!

I have a big crush on him, so I was glad he liked the gift :wubbie:

Lol, that's awesome. See, that's how to do it. Appeal to their geeky side which gives a personal twist, but make sure that the gift is practical first and foremost and score extra points by noticing or overhearing them actually *needing* something (so frigging hard as they're so fucking self-sufficient :doh:)

Mouse Army

MBTI Type
INFP
:yay: I'm glad you guys approve! I wasn't there when he opened the gift, but he told me he thought they were hilarious and that he planned to bring them to staff meetings! Thinkgeek is an awesome place for finding gifts. I got another coworker this USB plug-in blanket because she's always cold. I love giving gifts to people. It just feels nice to figure out something special just for them.

Lol, that's awesome. See, that's how to do it. Appeal to their geeky side which gives a personal twist, but make sure that the gift is practical first and foremost and score extra points by noticing or overhearing them actually *needing* something (so frigging hard as they're so fucking self-sufficient :doh:)

I know, right? I like to hear him talk (gad, that is so sappy!), so that's how I picked up on the clue.

Just ask him out for a cup of coffee.

I wish I could. Unfortunately, I am kind of/sort of his boss, so I don't think I should be the one to ask him out for ethical reasons. Darn you, ethics! I did bring him some hot chocolate one day because he came in to work early on a snow day (my fault- I thought he had heard we were to be closed and he hadn't) and he enjoyed it (he's not much of a coffee drinker).