User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: NT's and Gifts

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Default NT's and Gifts

What are your thoughts on giving and receiving gifts?

On giving:

Do you spend a lot of effort on picking out the perfect gift, or do you tend to try give "standard" gifts (all women like chocolate right??) or do you try to avoid the whole thing altogether?

What price range do you tend to shop in? Does this change with how "close" a person is to you?

Do you feel anxious about gift giving and what people might be expecting from your gift? Do you think that people judge you on your "gift giving ability"?

Do you feel obliged to give gifts during certain holidays? (ie: Christmas, Valentines Day, Birthdays)

On receiving:

What kind of gifts do you appreciate the most?

Do you judge a person by what kind of gifts they give you?

Do you expect different things from people who have different relationships to you?

Do you get disappointed or feel guilty when in a gift exchange, there is a marked difference in price?

Do you ever feel "caught off guard" from receiving a gift, or are you generally happy and accepting of every and all gifts?

Any other thoughts?
    01010101011011100110100101110100011110010010000001 10001101100001011011100010000001101111011011100110 11000111100100100000011000100110010100100000011011 01011000010110111001101001011001100110010101110011 01110100011001010110010000100000011000100111100100 10000001110100011010000110010100100000010000100110 10010110111001100001011100100111100100101110

MBTI
    INTx
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by SinistralPal View Post
    What are your thoughts on giving and receiving gifts?

On giving:

Do you spend a lot of effort on picking out the perfect gift, or do you tend to try give "standard" gifts (all women like chocolate right??) or do you try to avoid the whole thing altogether?

What price range do you tend to shop in? Does this change with how "close" a person is to you?

Do you feel anxious about gift giving and what people might be expecting from your gift? Do you think that people judge you on your "gift giving ability"?

Do you feel obliged to give gifts during certain holidays? (ie: Christmas, Valentines Day, Birthdays)
    I don't have a clue. I'm always afraid to put time into it because it'll inevitably be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by SinistralPal View Post
    On receiving:

Do you expect different things from people who have different relationships to you?

Do you get disappointed or feel guilty when in a gift exchange, there is a marked difference in price?

Do you ever feel "caught off guard" from receiving a gift, or are you generally happy and accepting of every and all gifts?

Any other thoughts?
    I prefer money (or consumables) most of all. Nearly everything that's non-consumable that I want/need is too expensive for people to get as a single gift (a faster computer, an X-Serve, a new gun, etc). Money, however, can be banded together from multiple people, so each person contributes a part of the overall 'gift'

However, this line of thought proceeds into "if I give them $20 and they give me $20, then the net-balance is $0, so we might as well not give each other anything but a card"

I have yet to find a way to get around that...

However, consumables (which are usually small, like food, ammo, etc) are a good alternative...
    Intuition is the supra-logic that cuts out all the routine processes of thought and leaps straight from the problem to the answer.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Giving:

To a friend or family member, I usually give humorous gifts. For example at my sisters birthday she asked for money and I gave her a monopoly game. Stuff like that.

Someone dear to me that I want to give something extra, doesn't happen much, I usually make some form of gesture that involves effort and symbolism. For example, there is a person in my life I am dearly thankful for for many things, and I made her a movie made ingame in WoW (which she too played) of my character trying to pick flowers all over Azeroth (world in the game) but everytime having them stolen by a ninja rogue. Until he eventually reaches his starting point empty handed where the rogue appears with a bouquet of roses offering them for a price to my character, to which I sigh but comply and present the screen with the flower bouquet.

You know, stuff like that. But it's not just for someones burthday when I go through those lengths though. It's more like a "thank you, you mean much to me" kind of gifts. I definatly would not do anything like this just for someones birthday.

As far as receiving gifts. I tend to dislike receiving gifts. Unless they have some other meaning than just my birthday. Anyways, I don't celebrate my own birthday. Gifts given to me for actual reasons or thank yous are met with extreme happiness however!
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

ReflecTcelfeR

I'm not good with gifts. Tell me what you want and I will gladly try and give it to you, but coming up with what you want on my own, I feel, wouldn't out so bad.

Recieving gifts... I'd rather not, I hate the pressure of responding immediatly.

figsfiggyfigs

I'm a VERY sentimental person. When I'm giving a gift, I think about what it would mean to the person. I don't think of the value of the gift, but how much it would mean to them, and how they would feel about receiving it. I don't care about how expensive something is, as long as it's useful, and it has some sort of sentimental value, letting the person know how much I care, and that I remember things about them that others wouldn't.

Same goes for receiving gifts. I got a gold diamond necklace once with a card telling me the sweetest thing. I was ecstatic with the card . I honestly didn't care much for the necklace. The card told me how much I mean to the person I was receiving it from.

I tend to keep things that have a lot of meaning to me. Thats one reason I DON'T like gifts.
    Most people tend to give superficial/materialistic things. It has no meaningful value to me. These are things you can always get, when ever you want.
    To know someone cares enough to know what is important to you, that is wonderful.

blah. I know I didn't answer the question properly. But I'm tired x)

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

*revokes previous poster's NTJ-card*

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by Weber View Post
    *revokes previous poster's NTJ-card*
    LOL!!! HEY!! ENTJ'S have a sentimental streak damnit!!!

MBTI
    nnnn

I try to avoid standard gifts and make it thoughtful and personal. I actually enjoy searching for good gift matches and try to be creative. I'm with YWIR.

Cheap stuff generally, doesn't change depending on closeness. Appropriateness of gifts isn't really a huge criterion for me. I like to give absurd/funny things when I anticipate the other person might appreciate them.

Not really.

Not really. I skip holidays sometimes and I don't keep track of who gave me stuff.

Personal ones, gifts that show they know me.

Sometimes - I remember I was disappointed when my best friend showed up with really standard stuff one time. I judged the friendship more than the person, though.

Yeah - the closer I get the more non-standard I expect the gift to be.

I might feel a little awkward. I'd probably mention it (in the case of the guilty scenario) and move on.

Generally fine with it.

MBTI
    INTP

I'm bad at recieving and giving gifts, so I don't do gifts unless someone tells me specifically what they want. If that's the case I'll just buy it for them :>

I pride myself on giving good gifts, and I keep an eye out the whole year for them. (Admittedly, this is easier when you have a short list of gift recipients.) I don't really like to work with set spending limits. I may spend $10 or $100 on a gift, what matters is that it's a good gift to suit the person in question. I know that this is an issue with people who like to focus on matching value in the exchange of gifts, but I think gifts should be more about an acknowledgment of how much you've thought, not how much you've spent. I've done it, but I hate giving gift cards. As for receiving, it wouldn't bother me at all to receive a gift of lesser value than the one I gave. What's important is that the person thought enough to pick something out for me.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari