First 45678 Last

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Blairvoyant View Post
    You're gonna need to get that food off your head, first.
    Yeah, I don't think I could go at it without having a nice sandwich first. Sadly, my car doesn't have a sandwich maker so... Could 'ya hop to that? Extra mayo please.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentMind View Post
    Yeah, I don't think I could go at it without having a nice sandwich first. Sadly, my car doesn't have a sandwich maker so... Could 'ya hop to that? Extra mayo please.
    One knuckle or two?
    The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together. ~ rCoxI ~ INfj ~ 5w6 so/sp

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Blairvoyant View Post
    One knuckle or two?
    I'm looking forward to this Porsche ride.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Anyway, I started to have the idea, and it makes sense, that men have an inherently superficial quality about them. Even the guy who is most in love with his partner will be attracted to other women (whether he acts on it or not) while women who really love their partner would probably not be attracted to other men. In this way women are capable of a deeper and less superficial (physical or sensory) connection than men are capable of tapping into.
    1. This generalization doesn't hold. I know men it doesn't apply to and women it does.
    2. Being attracted to someone while you are in love with someone else (and not acting on it) doesn't make one shallow.
    3. What does this have to do with the ability to comprehend anything?

Sexual attraction isn't informed by morality. It's largely instinctive, and acquisitory. Whether attracted to someone's physical appearance or intellectual merit, it all boils down to the same thing: desire. They have something we want.
    Is it more shallow to cultivate superficial accomplishments: appearance, wealth, status, or to be attracted by them?

To suggest that men are incapable of deep connections is to do them a profound disservice. I would agree that it's easier to turn their heads, but their hearts are as fathomless as any woman's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

I would contest the idea that a woman who was so "in love" that she literally did not notice or even fleetingly desire any other person she saw, forever, would be in a healthy state of mind. That's not be so much in love as infatuated and, probably, obsessed. I would not want to be the object of somebody's obsession.
    I'm male and over 30, FYI.
    Preferences: 20% Extravert, 98% Intuitive, 68% Thinker, 17% Perceiving

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by proximo View Post
    I would contest the idea that a woman who was so "in love" that she literally did not notice or even fleetingly desire any other person she saw, forever, would be in a healthy state of mind. That's not be so much in love as infatuated and, probably, obsessed. I would not want to be the object of somebody's obsession.
    I don't think that's fair either.
    Some people just have more monogamous wiring than others.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    I don't think that's fair either.
    Some people just have more monogamous wiring than others.
    I'm sure they do... but even the most monogamously wired person, surely, still has the odd occasion when they simply NOTICE that somebody else is attractive, even if that doesn't trigger any actual desire to "have" them?? Like appreciating a fine painting, you can't help noticing if a good looking person is on the TV or walks past and you happen to be looking in that direction.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I'm sure they do... but even the most monogamously wired person, surely, still has the odd occasion when they simply NOTICE that somebody else is attractive, even if that doesn't trigger any actual desire to "have" them?? Like appreciating a fine painting, you can't help noticing if a good looking person is on the TV or walks past and you happen to be looking in that direction.
    I can appreciate a painting without desiring it.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

1. This generalization doesn't hold. I know men it doesn't apply to and women it does.
    2. Being attracted to someone while you are in love with someone else (and not acting on it) doesn't make one shallow.
    3. What does this have to do with the ability to comprehend anything?
    My basic perception as well.

Why are so many people in this thread hell-bent on jamming people into boxes based on coarse generalizations, especially in the sense of suggesting that one gender is "better" or "deeper" than another? It's just more nuanced than that.

I think our understanding is limited by what we are capable of experiencing. No man will ever understand what it's like to be a woman, living in a woman's body, unless he does so. And vice versa. It would be great if we all could. Then these types of threads / misunderstandings wouldn't exist.
    Ahem. *raises hand*

<<< FTM Transsexual alert
    I think being trans gives a person SOME experience (and more than the typical person who spends their whole life "in one gender"), especially in regards to the social influences in play upon a person as well as comprehending hormonal influences... but I'm not quite sure that a transperson truly gets the gender they were assigned at birth. They might look like one, but are they really wired that way? The perception is still distorted.

Just because a person might have lived as a male for many years, for example, doesn't mean that person understood a typical male mindset... and in fact that lack of understanding is what no doubt contributed a lot of angst, since the person was expected to behave as if they did. In fact, the identification with the other gender in terms of identity and alignment, vs the gender assigned at birth, is one primary indicator of the condition. You're trans, Prox, because you DIDN'T identify as a woman but as a man... and thus thought and behaved like one inherently. Anything female you picked up was due to socialization, not necessarily an inherent understanding.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

I can appreciate a painting without desiring it.
    Well exactly. That's what I meant. The way she put it, it was like being in love would automatically not make you find anyone else attractive. Also, I can appreciate a painting, WISH it could grace my dining room wall, but all the while having no intention whatsoever of trying to acquire it.

I see a distinction between the different ways that attractiveness/sex appeal affects me, dependent on whether I'm in a relationship or not. If I'm not in a relationship, then if I see someone I find very desirable, I do actually want them (usually not enough to try to "get" them though!). If I am in a relationship and I see that same person, I can acknowledge their appeal, but am somehow detached from it, as though it doesn't really apply to me. It's as if the "like" and "want" parts of my brain have become disconnected...?