User Tag List

123 Last

ReflecTcelfeR

Default Ignoring Physical Pain and/or Hunger

This isn't so much about the negative effects of ignoring physical, and their some conditions to this question.

I have two questions. The first is directed to Intuitives. When you are concentrating on work and you are hungry, however you don't realize you are, how long does it take you realize that you are hungry when you have stopped concentrating? Do you consciously ignore the hunger, or does your detachment to your senses allow you to subconsciously forget about the pain until your done?

The second. Can S's do this same thing, or are they more inclined to accept the pain until they finish their task? Or would they simply take care of the pain once they notice it?

(I know that these questions are extremely relative, but try to think of it in theoretical terms than actual experiences, though experiences are all we really have.)
    Last edited by Bellflower; 06-09-2010 at 07:18 AM. Reason: more accurately reflects thread content and OP

MBTI
    INTJ

Why isn't this called "Ignoring Hunger?" Are you asking about being hungry or about feeling pain, because they two don't necessarily go together.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

When I feel pain, I'm most likely to ignore it.
    Hunger's another story, though.
    I have trouble staying conscious if I forget to eat (I have trouble telling when I'm hungry, and usually hunger hits when I can't really get to food, but quickly goes away)

MBTI
    ENTP

question 1, if I'm truely absorbed, it can take more than 24 hours, and then I eat half a cow or something, I don't go long without coffee or other drinks. I don't deliberately ignore hunger I just don't feel it, my mind it locked onto other things. I don't feel pain nor would I class hunger as pain.

An example, I was knee deep in a Uni project a few years ago and basically worked until 3am (unusal for me, I'm more of a 6am person), I basically worked until I was too tiered to focus on the screen, went to bed, got up and then started until breakfast - at lunchtime the next day.

I wouldn't do it often but it is possible.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

I like to eat when I'm hungry. It doesn't take me long to notice and not eating males me grumpy. Going without food takes an act of will.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I like to eat when I'm hungry. It doesn't take me long to notice and not eating males me grumpy. Going without food takes an act of will.
    same
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

I can go without food no problem. I will get a bit hungry, then it just sort of goes away. I can tolerate high levels of pain. When in pain, I just focus on the particular pain and then decide to dismiss it. It is still there but in the background.

Our bodies also can acclimate to pain via increasing levels of endorphins so that we can tolerate longer and longer periods of chronic pain and not really understand it as "pain".

What makes natural childbirth so difficult is you go from total absence of pain to very intense pain for 45 seconds, then total absence of pain for 3 minutes in cycles. The pain is intense, but if chronic would be bearable. However the on/off nature of the pain creates a need to escape and a sense of panic due to the inescapable nature of the next contraction. Thus the need to create a feeling a safety/security for moms in labor-humans and animals.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w6

When I'm focused on something I usually don't notice hunger. Only when I stop for a break or while walking or driving do I noticed the grumbling sounds. Even then I'm not sure and need to ask myself if I were really hungry or just imagining it. But I usually find out when I finally get a plate of food in front of me and commence shoveling... then I go into food coma. Years ago I used to feel hunger much more acutely than I do now but yes, for me hunger does seem more 'detached.' It's still there, though and it's not like I'm trying to ignore it on purpose. When I'm relaxed and not stressed out or focused on a project I tend to snack more not out of hunger but boredom, lol.

I've noticed that many Sensors seem a lot more aware of their hunger and anticipate their next meal much more than I do. I used to work at a hospital and always heard the nurses around me talk excitedly about lunch hours before it's actually lunch time. My ESFJ mom also plans her next meals with equal enthusiasm.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

I notice when im hungry, but hunger doesent bother me much. Not eating even after like 5+ hours after i start to feel hunger is no problem usually.

I tend to ignore physical pain in some degree usually too. For example if hurt my leg and walking is uncomfortable and hurts a bit, i will just walk normally even tho i would feel less pain if i would limp a bit.

MBTI
    INTJ

It's interesting how many intellectual people will treat the separation of body and mind as a good thing (like being so absorbed in your work that you don't notice you are hungry). In reality, it isn't. It means you aren't aware of yourself physically and you are, in all likelihood, hurting your mental processes. Ignoring yourself physically is just as bad as ignoring yourself mentally.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume