• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Ignoring Physical Pain and/or Hunger

gromit

likes this
i hate the attention when you are injured. i love attention a lot of times, but attention for being hurt kills me, it is so annoying and INFURIATING.

YEAH. I actually get kind of pissed if somebody asks me if I'm "okay"...

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
To some extent it is possible to just ignore pain or hunger and/or concentrate on other things. Seems like a focus skill more than anything else.

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
haha, it is the same for me. :thumbup:
when i crushed my finger in a machine press i just clocked-out from work and drove myself to the hospital without telling anyone, haha. the hospital amputated the finger.

i hate the attention when you are injured. i love attention a lot of times, but attention for being hurt kills me, it is so annoying and INFURIATING.

Attention for being hurt *is* annoying. Mostly because then you have to deal with all these people who make all these noises (gasping, cooing, etc) and weird faces (shock) and it's a lot easier to just fix it yourself.

But wow, which finger?

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't often get "in the zone" with work, but it happens often with computer games. Won't be hungry or notice how much time's passed, or even how tired I am until much later than usual, if I'm engaged enough. But otherwise (i.e. most of the time) I'm often thinking about food, and very conscious of being hungry.

I don't think I'm particularly pain-tolerant, but I don't like the attention that comes with being hurt so I tend to not say anything. On the other hand, for minor things like being cold I'll complain all the time, I don't know why, lol.

Little_Sticks

I know it's there. It's like when someone is nagging you, but you're trying to figure out something in your head first. Your determined to get some work done on organizing or attempting to solve some problem, or at least creating the thoughts you wanted to satisfy creating a specific conclusion for that problem so you kind of ignore it and somewhat forget it's there. And then when the thought process is done you decide to deal with it. But sometimes if it's a mild pain that goes away quickly then you look weird because you say "ouch" as a delayed response with no passion, like your faking feeling pain or something because you really don't feel pain anymore, but remember to eventually say "ouch" or something to that effect. I dunno...I'm bored.

BRMC117

is an ambi-turner
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w2
if I push my self to the brink I know tat I will get a second wind, and I can finish what ever I need to get done. and during that period I really dont feel much pain/Fatigue until I am done. I do pay a price for doing that, but, yes I can ignore pain if need be.

spin-1/2-nuclei

MBTI Type
INTJ
(I know that these questions are extremely relative, but try to think of it in theoretical terms than actual experiences, though experiences are all we really have.)

I personally think that ignoring physical pain has nothing to do with personality types since the ability to do this is very common in the military and other similar jobs.

As far as personal experience goes I can ignore pain if I have to, but it's not ideal. I don't take medications for pain or anything like that, but I do prefer to take a rest from activities that will agitate the pain more if I am injured.

I have a few hobbies that can easily result in physical injury and there have been times when it has been necessary for me to push on with an injury. The first example that comes to mind was the time when I had my foot run over by a crazy driver in the middle of the night. I was riding my motorcycle home in a rain storm and I wasn't moving fast enough for them through an intersection so they decided to pass me. I couldn't get a signal on my cell at all and there was just nothing around me. That hurt like a bitch but I had to drive myself to the hospital. It was my shifter foot too which royally sucked but I was able to drive myself since I wasn't given much choice.

As far as the hunger thing goes, I sometimes don't have time to eat when I'm working but I don't really experience any pain from that so I can't really offer you any input in that regard.

Aerithria

Senior Thread Terminator
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I have friends that will, at random times, ask me if I've eaten anything yet that day. Because sometimes I completely forget that I'm hungry, especially when I'm doing something else.

Pain is similar, though it depends on what kind of pain. There is nothing in the world, unfortunately enough, that allows me to ignore a migraine, for example.

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
The trick to dealing with pain isn't ignoring it. It's accepting it.

What you say is the difference?

I can ignore pain pretty well. I've never even tried to ignore hunger. I am big on eating whenever you feel the need and stopping when you are full. This means that when I can I end up eating something every hour or so.

I am able to relax myself fairly well and this works on the overreacting that comes with the advent of pain. I don't know if it would be classified entirely as ignoring pain though.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't know if it would be classified entirely as ignoring pain though.

It could be semantics, as you pointed out.

Many people try to ignore pain by thinking about something else or pretending like it doesn't exist. This works about as well as not thinking of an elephant when someone says, "Don't think of an elephant."

Whereas, it generally seems much easier to think, "Man, this shit really hurts, but it is what it is. Carrying on." When you acknowledge a boundary, you can push through it.

I originally saw my quoted post explained similarly (I don't remember it well enough to quote now) in reference to the cold, rather than pain in general, by a SEAL.

I haven't forgotten it yet, and it's helped me through many hours of having the life sucked out of me through my back by a big green tick.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I personally think that ignoring physical pain has nothing to do with personality types since the ability to do this is very common in the military and other similar jobs.

I figured that some correlation exists between pain and the thinking process, which is not necessarily personality. Just the functions being able to adapt to the pain either through acceptance, or ignoring it until something can alleviate it. The functions being S and N, or these were what I thought were directly related to my question.

Fecal McAngry

Attention for being hurt *is* annoying. Mostly because then you have to deal with all these people who make all these noises (gasping, cooing, etc) and weird faces (shock) and it's a lot easier to just fix it yourself.
For me, it depends. If someone can do something to actually make me feel better or make my life easier in some way, I appreciate the attention. It can even be fine if all someone can do is empathize, sincerely. But most other forms of attention are draining/annoying...

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Many people try to ignore pain by thinking about something else or pretending like it doesn't exist. This works about as well as not thinking of an elephant when someone says, "Don't think of an elephant."

Funnily enough my method of relaxing and refocusing concentration works fairly well on that situation of not thinking of an elephant too. Focusing on calming and relaxation seems effective at forgetting simple things such as that. This is rather similar to your
Whereas, it generally seems much easier to think, "Man, this shit really hurts, but it is what it is. Carrying on." When you acknowledge a boundary, you can push through it.
I wonder if this is true and my problem with seeing a difference is just that I use this method to ignore things and so for me they are one and the same.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I don't condone ignoring ANYTHING. Acknowledging is the first step to progression.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Pain is usually followed by progression, in a sense.

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Pain does provide information, but what about when it provides unnecessary information? When a person acknowledges the damage or lesson the pain no longer serves a purpose. It is not uncommon that pain provides no benefit or progression anymore.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Wouldn't that provide the info of letting you know what not to do next time, or to stop that which caused the unnecessary pain?

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I can ignore pain if I'm "adrenaline shocked". While competing in cycling, I've often ignored pain after falling down; after the end of the race, I always wonder how I managed. However, ignoring pain in "normal" circumstances seem kind of impossible...

Pain does provide information, but what about when it provides unnecessary information? When a person acknowledges the damage or lesson the pain no longer serves a purpose. It is not uncommon that pain provides no benefit or progression anymore.

That's chronic pain. Acute pain always serves a purpose - namely, make you sit down and not move until the body has recovered.

Daedalus

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
T
I have two questions. The first is directed to Intuitives. When you are concentrating on work and you are hungry, however you don't realize you are, how long does it take you realize that you are hungry when you have stopped concentrating? Do you consciously ignore the hunger, or does your detachment to your senses allow you to subconsciously forget about the pain until your done?

Sometimes i have this urge to "finish the work" before i eat..that is because i like to enjoy my food with no work "hanging over my head". But sometimes a project that is about to end , might take far longer....ive put off lunch till around 4 sometimes, when this happens.lol.

I dont feel hunger, but if i postpone for a long period, i get a headache, thus i usually eat on time.

But on the topic of physical pain , i mean the variety that is induced when we are hit/pinched etc etc.....it can be dampened to an amazing degree just my concentrating, forcing the mind to not feel it. It took me a few years, but i can say I have a very high tolerance for pain because I actively ignore it/suppress pain signals in my mind. After all, pain is but a electric signal sent to the brain via nerves. It is possible to exert some control over the intensity of the pain we feel.