User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by BlueGray View Post
    I don't know if it would be classified entirely as ignoring pain though.
    It could be semantics, as you pointed out.

Many people try to ignore pain by thinking about something else or pretending like it doesn't exist. This works about as well as not thinking of an elephant when someone says, "Don't think of an elephant."

Whereas, it generally seems much easier to think, "Man, this shit really hurts, but it is what it is. Carrying on." When you acknowledge a boundary, you can push through it.

I originally saw my quoted post explained similarly (I don't remember it well enough to quote now) in reference to the cold, rather than pain in general, by a SEAL.

I haven't forgotten it yet, and it's helped me through many hours of having the life sucked out of me through my back by a big green tick.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

ReflecTcelfeR

Quote Originally Posted by spin-1/2-nuclei View Post
    I personally think that ignoring physical pain has nothing to do with personality types since the ability to do this is very common in the military and other similar jobs.
    I figured that some correlation exists between pain and the thinking process, which is not necessarily personality. Just the functions being able to adapt to the pain either through acceptance, or ignoring it until something can alleviate it. The functions being S and N, or these were what I thought were directly related to my question.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    Attention for being hurt *is* annoying. Mostly because then you have to deal with all these people who make all these noises (gasping, cooing, etc) and weird faces (shock) and it's a lot easier to just fix it yourself.
    For me, it depends. If someone can do something to actually make me feel better or make my life easier in some way, I appreciate the attention. It can even be fine if all someone can do is empathize, sincerely. But most other forms of attention are draining/annoying...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    Many people try to ignore pain by thinking about something else or pretending like it doesn't exist. This works about as well as not thinking of an elephant when someone says, "Don't think of an elephant."
    Funnily enough my method of relaxing and refocusing concentration works fairly well on that situation of not thinking of an elephant too. Focusing on calming and relaxation seems effective at forgetting simple things such as that. This is rather similar to your
    Whereas, it generally seems much easier to think, "Man, this shit really hurts, but it is what it is. Carrying on." When you acknowledge a boundary, you can push through it.
    I wonder if this is true and my problem with seeing a difference is just that I use this method to ignore things and so for me they are one and the same.
    Ne > Ti > Si >> Te > Se >> Fe > Fi > Ni
    5 so/sp
    Chaotic Neutral/Evil

ReflecTcelfeR

I don't condone ignoring ANYTHING. Acknowledging is the first step to progression.

ReflecTcelfeR

Pain is usually followed by progression, in a sense.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Pain does provide information, but what about when it provides unnecessary information? When a person acknowledges the damage or lesson the pain no longer serves a purpose. It is not uncommon that pain provides no benefit or progression anymore.
    Ne > Ti > Si >> Te > Se >> Fe > Fi > Ni
    5 so/sp
    Chaotic Neutral/Evil

ReflecTcelfeR

Wouldn't that provide the info of letting you know what not to do next time, or to stop that which caused the unnecessary pain?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I can ignore pain if I'm "adrenaline shocked". While competing in cycling, I've often ignored pain after falling down; after the end of the race, I always wonder how I managed. However, ignoring pain in "normal" circumstances seem kind of impossible...

Pain does provide information, but what about when it provides unnecessary information? When a person acknowledges the damage or lesson the pain no longer serves a purpose. It is not uncommon that pain provides no benefit or progression anymore.
    That's chronic pain. Acute pain always serves a purpose - namely, make you sit down and not move until the body has recovered.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ReflecttcelfeR View Post
    T
    I have two questions. The first is directed to Intuitives. When you are concentrating on work and you are hungry, however you don't realize you are, how long does it take you realize that you are hungry when you have stopped concentrating? Do you consciously ignore the hunger, or does your detachment to your senses allow you to subconsciously forget about the pain until your done?
    Sometimes i have this urge to "finish the work" before i eat..that is because i like to enjoy my food with no work "hanging over my head". But sometimes a project that is about to end , might take far longer....ive put off lunch till around 4 sometimes, when this happens.lol.

I dont feel hunger, but if i postpone for a long period, i get a headache, thus i usually eat on time.

But on the topic of physical pain , i mean the variety that is induced when we are hit/pinched etc etc.....it can be dampened to an amazing degree just my concentrating, forcing the mind to not feel it. It took me a few years, but i can say I have a very high tolerance for pain because I actively ignore it/suppress pain signals in my mind. After all, pain is but a electric signal sent to the brain via nerves. It is possible to exert some control over the intensity of the pain we feel.
    Extraverted - 25 Introverted - 75
    Sensing - 0 Intuition - 100
    Thinking - 63 Feeling - 37
    Judging - 63 Perceiving - 37

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.