• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Ignoring Physical Pain and/or Hunger

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's impossible for me to ignore hunger. If I'm hungry and I can't eat food, I'll eat YOU, starting by biting your head OFF.

I can't ignore pain either. I'm an absolute pansy about that kind of thing. I can't imagine how people can manage to live with chronic pain. Even getting my teeth drilled without pain relievers or analgesics make me almost cry.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
It depends on the pain. If I see it as serving a purpose, I'm good with that. If I'm ignoring pain just to ignore it, that's stupid. I don't do that anymore. Hunger, I've always been good with putting off eating if need be. Not so much anymore because I become ravenous and want to inhale everything. It's bad for my health and weight.

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
It depends on the pain. If I see it as serving a purpose, I'm good with that. If I'm ignoring pain just to ignore it, that's stupid. I don't do that anymore. Hunger, I've always been good with putting off eating if need be. Not so much anymore because I become ravenous and want to inhale everything. It's bad for my health and weight.

The thing with pain is it can serve it's purpose almost instantly. Even acute pain often lasts past the point at which the person has understood the situation and is dealing with any problems.

Pain is useful but dampening it doesn't prevent it from serving it's purpose.

proximo

Curiously, boredom is more likely to make me eat than hunger. Particularly when I'm alone and bored. Isolated extravert = fat extravert! :laugh:

It's interesting how many intellectual people will treat the separation of body and mind as a good thing

Well, I don't think of myself as "intellectual" (though others do, to my annoyance), and I don't treat it as either a good or bad thing. It's not even a "thing". Just a fact... it's not like I sit there deliberately ignoring hunger/pain and feeling proud of myself for it. It's almost as if it's more difficult to notice it, for me, than to "endure" it, if "endure" is the right word for something that doesn't bother you on any level.

The idea of it hurting my mental processes is interesting... bit of a trade-off really. The mental process that's currently going on, ie. me being absorbed in something I'm doing, is infinitely better served by its not being interrupted. To break it off to go and eat would mean I'd find it VERY hard to get back into it again; that process would be actually killed, most likely.

And in fact, I seem to concentrate better when I'm just a little bit hungry. I don't know why.

It doesn't have to be some thrilling intellectual pursuit... even just walking along the street can do it... any external stimulus (though not everything external stimulates me!) pretty much absorbs me so much as to shove the whole concept of my physicality out of my sphere of awareness, leaving possibly only just enough awareness that I'm flesh and blood for me to stay out of the way of moving traffic (though really it's more force of habit - "these moving metal things I'm vaguely aware of, they're to be avoided", though I barely "see" them) ... that's why it's only usually if I'm alone and bored that I think of food or eating, or notice I'm tired, in pain, or whatever.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

You need to participate in the Female Buttocks Appreciation thread. (In Bonfire I think?) With that avatar, every horndog will have its day.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
This isn't so much about the negative effects of ignoring physical, and their some conditions to this question.

I have two questions. The first is directed to Intuitives. When you are concentrating on work and you are hungry, however you don't realize you are, how long does it take you realize that you are hungry when you have stopped concentrating? Do you consciously ignore the hunger, or does your detachment to your senses allow you to subconsciously forget about the pain until your done?

I usually don't realize I'm hungry until it becomes very difficult to concentrate. I ignore until the diminishing returns of self-denial signal that I need to fuel up again.

SinistralPal

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
The word "ignoring" makes it seem as though I was aware of it in the first place. It's more like "Hey. I wonder what time it is. Holy Shit! 11pm!! I was supposed to go to the bank today!! Oh well, back to the...hm. What's that sound? It's like some sort of rumbling. It kinda sounds like a stomach growl. Ohhhhh yeeeeaaah. I didn't eat today. Yeah, actually, I am kinda fucking hungry."

In my experience with Se types, I have found they "ignore" the pain. As in, they are acutely aware of it, but chose to work through the pain. Whereas I am pretty much oblivious to it. Once aware though, I become a whiny baby. "It's just a paper cut." "Yeah but now it feels uncomfortable to type... :'( "

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
i have been bit hungry for about 2 hours(havent eaten anything today yet and its 7pm). im not sure if i should go buy frozen pizza from grocery store or eat something i got at home..

bah i think i gotta think fast so i wont miss will & grace, friends and simpsons.

this same thing happens to me quite often :D