User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
    i hate the attention when you are injured. i love attention a lot of times, but attention for being hurt kills me, it is so annoying and INFURIATING.
    YEAH. I actually get kind of pissed if somebody asks me if I'm "okay"...
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    XXFP

To some extent it is possible to just ignore pain or hunger and/or concentrate on other things. Seems like a focus skill more than anything else.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    XXFP

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
    haha, it is the same for me.
    when i crushed my finger in a machine press i just clocked-out from work and drove myself to the hospital without telling anyone, haha. the hospital amputated the finger.

i hate the attention when you are injured. i love attention a lot of times, but attention for being hurt kills me, it is so annoying and INFURIATING.
    Attention for being hurt *is* annoying. Mostly because then you have to deal with all these people who make all these noises (gasping, cooing, etc) and weird faces (shock) and it's a lot easier to just fix it yourself.

But wow, which finger?
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I don't often get "in the zone" with work, but it happens often with computer games. Won't be hungry or notice how much time's passed, or even how tired I am until much later than usual, if I'm engaged enough. But otherwise (i.e. most of the time) I'm often thinking about food, and very conscious of being hungry.

I don't think I'm particularly pain-tolerant, but I don't like the attention that comes with being hurt so I tend to not say anything. On the other hand, for minor things like being cold I'll complain all the time, I don't know why, lol.
    -end of thread-

I know it's there. It's like when someone is nagging you, but you're trying to figure out something in your head first. Your determined to get some work done on organizing or attempting to solve some problem, or at least creating the thoughts you wanted to satisfy creating a specific conclusion for that problem so you kind of ignore it and somewhat forget it's there. And then when the thought process is done you decide to deal with it. But sometimes if it's a mild pain that goes away quickly then you look weird because you say "ouch" as a delayed response with no passion, like your faking feeling pain or something because you really don't feel pain anymore, but remember to eventually say "ouch" or something to that effect. I dunno...I'm bored.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w2

if I push my self to the brink I know tat I will get a second wind, and I can finish what ever I need to get done. and during that period I really dont feel much pain/Fatigue until I am done. I do pay a price for doing that, but, yes I can ignore pain if need be.
    "I put the fires out."
    "you made them worse."
    "worse...or better?"

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ReflecttcelfeR View Post
    (I know that these questions are extremely relative, but try to think of it in theoretical terms than actual experiences, though experiences are all we really have.)
    I personally think that ignoring physical pain has nothing to do with personality types since the ability to do this is very common in the military and other similar jobs.

As far as personal experience goes I can ignore pain if I have to, but it's not ideal. I don't take medications for pain or anything like that, but I do prefer to take a rest from activities that will agitate the pain more if I am injured.

I have a few hobbies that can easily result in physical injury and there have been times when it has been necessary for me to push on with an injury. The first example that comes to mind was the time when I had my foot run over by a crazy driver in the middle of the night. I was riding my motorcycle home in a rain storm and I wasn't moving fast enough for them through an intersection so they decided to pass me. I couldn't get a signal on my cell at all and there was just nothing around me. That hurt like a bitch but I had to drive myself to the hospital. It was my shifter foot too which royally sucked but I was able to drive myself since I wasn't given much choice.

As far as the hunger thing goes, I sometimes don't have time to eat when I'm working but I don't really experience any pain from that so I can't really offer you any input in that regard.

MBTI
    INTJ

The trick to dealing with pain isn't ignoring it. It's accepting it.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Senior Thread Terminator Aerithria's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

I have friends that will, at random times, ask me if I've eaten anything yet that day. Because sometimes I completely forget that I'm hungry, especially when I'm doing something else.

Pain is similar, though it depends on what kind of pain. There is nothing in the world, unfortunately enough, that allows me to ignore a migraine, for example.
    [insert funny quote/saying/etc.]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    The trick to dealing with pain isn't ignoring it. It's accepting it.
    What you say is the difference?

I can ignore pain pretty well. I've never even tried to ignore hunger. I am big on eating whenever you feel the need and stopping when you are full. This means that when I can I end up eating something every hour or so.

I am able to relax myself fairly well and this works on the overreacting that comes with the advent of pain. I don't know if it would be classified entirely as ignoring pain though.
    Ne > Ti > Si >> Te > Se >> Fe > Fi > Ni
    5 so/sp
    Chaotic Neutral/Evil