User Tag List

First 456781656106 Last

ReflecTcelfeR

In order to not derail this thread. I feel contemplative yet again.

Quote Originally Posted by tawanda View Post

I do believe that your attitude plays a part in your own contentedness, but you also have to put effort into being happy, it runs both ways. I've tried doing both, and even then it ended up being a failure.
    Well, sometimes - often - there are BIG things that you can't simply sidestep with a bit of positive thinking. For example, I'm out of the job market. Why? Because I have an autistic kid that needs 24 hour care. Sure, I can look at it positively and say "here's an opportunity for personal development, learning, patience, character building, and it's rewarding as I love my kid and it's good to do what's right by her". But that doesn't instantly magic away all those parts of my personality that are NOT happy spending the foreseeable future at home the majority of the time, with no discernible life of my own.

Sometimes there are things that really SUCK, that you CANNOT do anything about. Sometimes, big, bureaucratic government departments can destroy someone's life in the time it takes to print a letter saying "appeal unsuccessful", and you're just too small to have any influence over the matter. And you just have to suck it up. Reserving the right to, every once in a while, sigh when it gets on top of you a bit, is perfectly human IMO.

I feel FURIOUS at these self-appointed amateur psychologists who think that just cos they've read a couple of issues of Psychiatric Times or a few articles in Cosmo, they're equipped to give all-encompassing advice on changing their worldview, to vulnerable people (especially strangers!) at difficult times in their lives.
    I'm male and over 30, FYI.
    Preferences: 20% Extravert, 98% Intuitive, 68% Thinker, 17% Perceiving

ThatGirl

Hyper alert, irritated, and exhausted at the same time.

Though generally quiet.

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Unwell, sorry for myself, miserable with a virus and bored but too scattered with the virus to think
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by ReflecttcelfeR View Post
    I think in attempts to become a responsible people we have created the fear that everyone is a failure because of themselves, which just isn't true (completely, or all the time). We consider ourselves so perfect that anyone less than this is a failure. One unhealthy view to another. We can only affect so many circumstances, if we try to control too many we inevitably fail, as well when this occurs we would surely be called disrespectful.
    I think people tell other people that their failures are their own doing because it allows them to conversely attribute any success to themselves as well.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I think people tell other people that their failures are their own doing because it allows them to conversely attribute any success to themselves as well.
    And that's a good thing.
    Parts of success and failure is due to luck, part of it is due to others, and part of it is due to yourself. It is unfair to attribute failure to bad luck and/or others and success to yourself.

Right now, I'm feeling calm and rested. I'm in a good, positive mood, despite the exams waiting to be composed.
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

I feel utterly horrible. I bet I'm going to sleep for a couple days :P

Quote Originally Posted by tawanda View Post
    I feel utterly horrible. I bet I'm going to sleep for a couple days :P
    I feel utterly horrible because I have hardly slept. For the last three weeks I've got by on about 4 hours per night.
    I'm male and over 30, FYI.
    Preferences: 20% Extravert, 98% Intuitive, 68% Thinker, 17% Perceiving

figsfiggyfigs

Defeated ...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/so
    Socionics
    INTj

I feel happy today.
    Enneagram: 5w4 5-9-2 (5w4 9w1 2w1) sp/so

"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Greg King
    The worst mistake people make in political arguments is assuming that the other side is not trying to do the right thing. This simple oversight makes productive conversation nearly impossible.