• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] What does a balance between J and P mean exactly?

R

ReflecTcelfeR

That's my question. I take the Myers Briggs test quite a bit and always seem to recieve a J, but it's only very slightly so. What would this mean exactly?

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
It probably means that you answered "Yes" to "Is your desk very organized?" and "No" to "Do you tend to plan ahead?"

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Precisely. Though given he's NT I would guess it's the other way around -- NTJs are Ni/Te, a type essentially defined by treating life as if it were a game of chess. If he were an NF instead I could see being organized but unplanned (ENFP, Ne Te loop) being the case.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

It was the other way around. Good guess. Though I meant what qualities would a person have with this part of the function being balanced.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Wow, you guys both are easily bamboozled...

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Didn't realize I was being bamboozled, next time warn me.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I felt a sarcasm towards the fact that it really doesn't matter either way, or tests like the one in which I took are useless, but that's just me.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There's a significant disconnect between the way MBTI tests usually work and the way MBTI types actually work that makes them close to useless. This is because Kiersey stuck his nose in, created his own typology system using the same terms and definitions, and now everyone uses a bizarre syncretic system that isn't worth shit.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Exactly. I'm in the efforts of fleshing out what is useful and what is not right now. It's difficult to figure out what each description is describing, I mean whether they're describing the actual thinking processes or just random 'being human' qualities. I'm starting to enjoy socionics more.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Those tests do indeed suck. Especially the ones that give you a rating for I vs E, S vs N and so on. The ones that give a rating for the functions (Si, Se and the like) are better, but only marginally. Basically, they try to measure which functions you use the most, which is fair enough, as long as you realise that the function order dictated by your type isn't the same as your preferance for which function you use. Thus you can have function preferance diferant to your types order, but still be of that type.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6

I just meant to imply (too subtle I was, I suppose) that the tests are not necessarily indicative of your actual type, and this is primarily due to the fact that they rely on self-report, false dichotomies, and misinterpretations of responses.

The fact that you organize your desk or plan ahead does not necessarily point to you being a J, nor does the fact that you prefer a loose schedule and enjoy trying new things point to the fact that you are a P. Your type is defined by how your cognition motivates you to have the values that you have; it's not defined by your actions on a day-to-day basis.

Think about type as being a descriptive tool to explain why you do what you do, not a predictive tool to determine what you do. Since the tests primarily garner information about what you do, not why, they are not a good way to accurately determine one's type. They are a good starting point for digging into a complex system, but they are certainly not the end-all, be-all.

The best way to discern your type is not through answering superficial test questions. Instead, you should delve into function theory, and determine which functions seem to mesh best with you, based on your own interpretation of yourself.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I do wish that they would stop influencing with the listings of characteristics. It may make you feel good for a day, or too, but once that wears off it just adds to the confusion. The moment you read the list of qualities it seems almost impossible to avoid thinking about them when taking the test, this automatically subjectifies the test score!:steam:

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Im pretty close to a J(like 55%p/45%j based on multiple tests and sometimes i test as intj even tho i know im an intp) and thats because i got pretty good Te, descent Ni and pretty high Fi to an intp. Maybe its the same thing for you, or then you just got low Te and that makes you low J.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

How can you tell someone is using Extraverted Thinking? Technically I suppose I should recognize it within me, that being the main part of my cognition, but I can't seem to think in those terms. Is it organizing the outside world?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
How can you tell someone is using Extraverted Thinking? Technically I suppose I should recognize it within me, that being the main part of my cognition, but I can't seem to think in those terms. Is it organizing the outside world?

just learn how different functions work and how you use them, but you also need to learn how to tell apart for example Ni+Fe working together from Fi.

yes Te is basicly organizing outside world, but Ne/Se + Ti might work that way in some situations also.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I'm getting there. I can describe them, but I haven't gone out of my way yet to observe them in others.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I never understood why you cant have a disorganized desk and plan ahead for the future at the same time

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
J vs. P is about which extroverted dominant/auxiliary function you prefer. So for instance, I am an INTP and I prefer extroverted intuition to deal with my outer life. I think this can make me seem scattered, random, and eccentric to most people.