• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] What does an unhealthy ENTP look like (if there's even such a thing)?

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Oh no, I meant ENTPs using Fe to get what they want and switching it off when if comes to feelings of others. :)

i usually don't care one way or another how others see me. actually, the thought of attempting to get them to 'like' me or 'approve' of me would set off an alarm bell that something is seriously wrong and set me to self-analyzing thoroughly.

however, if how someone sees me will effect an outcome that i care about then, yes, i will attempt to control how they see me. that said, i assumed everyone does this (the latter part) if they're at all concerned about results.

i just figured this was a strong Ti though. not something connected so much with Fe as far as cause/motivation.

It's taken me years to trust people, but as stated, there's not really much for "close" friends. Most are acquaintances at best, and often I've found "close" friends tend to drift away pretty easily as a natural occurrence.

While I have a 'need' to talk to people sometimes about close matters, earning the trust for such is a monotonously slow process and there's often been times where I really didn't have anyone to talk to when needed.

About the only friends "list" I have would be in games or chat programs which automatically keep a list. In these, I've found I often forget who half the people are, and the other half are generally not people I talk to anymore. I don't even keep track or really socialize with anyone in class at school either.

As such, most people will likely find it very difficult to "make friends" with an entp as a close relationship instead of just 'someone they know'.

yes. many people consider me to be a much closer friend than i consider them to be. but who doesn't experience this? either by doing it or by being on the receiving end of it?

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
ENTPs don't usually have a best friends list do they? It's not that they cannot trust people it is that they have few outside needs. Though they do need external validation it is highly unlikely they have serious bonding needs.

Friendly they are. Not so close emotionally. This might confuse peope who wants to be closer to them. :)

But as they mature (and with age) they would learn how to bond and would actually develop a need.

I could be wrong.

You're not wrong. I like being liked, but it's really not necessary - I just like everything to be friendly, pleasant and yes, even a tad bit superficial. I'd rather that kind of situation than one that is full of any kind of drama - positive or negative. And just because people like me or I like them doesn't mean it's the start of a beautiful relationship.

i usually don't care one way or another how others see me. actually, the thought of attempting to get them to 'like' me or 'approve' of me would set off an alarm bell that something is seriously wrong and set me to self-analyzing thoroughly.

In general, yes. But like I said above, it's easier and more fun if everyone enjoys everyone else's company. If there are serious negative vibes, I'm not interested.

however, if how someone sees me will effect an outcome that i care about then, yes, i will attempt to control how they see me. that said, i assumed everyone does this (the latter part) if they're at all concerned about results.
Yeah, this seems pretty normal to me. I don't think it's an ENTP thing. No one wants to look like a jerk to someone who has something they need.

i just figured this was a strong Ti though. not something connected so much with Fe as far as cause/motivation.
If it's not in fact normal for everyone, I would then wager that it's Ti practicality rather than a genuine Fe need that motivates me to want to look positive. I guess that I would be using Fe to achieve that result.

yes. many people consider me to be a much closer friend than i consider them to be. but who doesn't experience this? either by doing it or by being on the receiving end of it?
Agreed. Again, seems pretty normal to me. Is this really an ENTP thing?

sculpting

You're not wrong. I like being liked, but it's really not necessary - I just like everything to be friendly, pleasant and yes, even a tad bit superficial. I'd rather that kind of situation than one that is full of any kind of drama - positive or negative.

I'm sorry, did you request some drama? I aim to please! (And no, that "friend" thing seems an EXTP thing. If an ENFP acts like they really like you, they really like you, and likely wanta hug you and stuff. we are nuts, go figure.)

Unhealthy ENTP dude:

44 year old ENTP

Very bright, very clever. More Ne than me. That is saying something. To hold his hand, dance under the stars, to lay on the ground and watch the clouds together? To swim in a sea of Ne.

Except for the girlfriend in the LTR ...and the ESTP he was sleeping with...and the INFJ he was sleeping with...and the other INFJ he was sleeping with...well you get the idea ;) He was pretty sexy!

On a very healthy day he is full of ideas. Really weird ones that are Ti correct but lack any foundation in the real world-Si perhaps? He has no understanding of logistics or practical application-ie Te of any of his plans. He follows through on none of his plans at all. When he tries to share his ideas-he gets lost in the Ti details and just talks and talks and talks. He cant state them concisely. But he does so with an air of authority. Poeple hate him and call him very arrogant.

On slightly less healthy days he turns up tert Fe. He becomes exceptionally suave, sweet. Very silly, playful, joking, the ultimate life of the party. Oddly all of this seems to feel very "real" for him. He loves women, loves sex, and is very charming. When he look into your eyes in this mood, you feel so very special and adored. Like you are the most special person ever. To others in his disfavor, he is very rude but in an Fe way-sarcasm. In jan, he told me he loved me while in an Fe mood, then turned his back to me and basically crawled into the INFJ's lap. Yeah, rejection via typology is always sweet...when he went to the bathroom she said she was using him for information...gotta love Fe...

At his worst he gets very strange. He becomes very rude, pompous, arrogant, attacks others, dismisses them before they can speak and is verbally abusive. He tells others how much his car and house cost and how of course everyone here must make at least $160K. He exagerates his own importance and flaunts his superiority. He tells everyone how smart he is. He will not tolerate ANY criticism at all. He verbally belittles others and tell them they should report to him. He becomes extremely introverted-he will not seek others out. He called his girlfriend "the women who lives in my house" and hit on all the women he was working with as he put them down and called them stupid. I first met him at this stage and thought he was a real douchebag INTJ-the first one I had ever met-but I could not find his "gooey middle". His Fi was missing.

I didnt learn about Beebe Shadows-INTJ for an ENTP-until several months later.

He tends to oscillate between the first two stages-with the third stage only seen when he is very insecure.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Much of the stuff in here is talking about symptoms and behavioral things that relate back to three things that an unhealthy ENTP enneagram 7 can become, that is narcissistic, escapist and/or insatiable. How that appears in an individual is unique to them.

something boring

MBTI Type
nnja
Enneagram
4w5
Hmmm.... after reading this thread, I am starting to think maybe I have known an ENTP or two in real life...

fill

"Everything in its place"
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Much of the stuff in here is talking about symptoms and behavioral things that relate back to three things that an unhealthy ENTP enneagram 7 can become, that is narcissistic, escapist and/or insatiable. How that appears in an individual is unique to them.

Bingo.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Onemoretime posted a thread a while back that contained a video of an ENTP man who was very psychologically unhealthy. He was never satisfied in anything he did and could not find anything to fulfill him, and this led to a complete lack of motivation. He grew so accustomed to growing bored by nearly everything he encountered that he just kind of gave up on attempting to fulfill his potential and chase his aspirations. Then on top of that, his tertiary Fe caused a bit of insecurity in him because he knew that the rest of the world was beginning to view him as an unfocused failure who could never accomplish anything meaningful.

I fear this outcome.

ENTPs don't usually have a best friends list do they? It's not that they cannot trust people it is that they have few outside needs. Though they do need external validation it is highly unlikely they have serious bonding needs.

Friendly they are. Not so close emotionally. This might confuse peope who wants to be closer to them. :)

But as they mature (and with age) they would learn how to bond and would actually develop a need.

I could be wrong.

I've only recently learned how important it is to have real friends. But, I don't feel I need it. I just know how much it's helped me feel calm and accepted. When I don't feel accepted and loved I turn into a real shit.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?

Most ENTP's apparently are type 7 it seems... the stuff I've mentioned, however, are in relation to a 3w4 ENTP, which's slightly different, but still similar =3

The symptoms can be slightly different, however, I think. Some of the stuff I've seen others mention here so far do not show up in myself at all.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
joker-773888.jpg

Still think he's ENFP.

fill

"Everything in its place"
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
There's threads about lots of things. I can't be bothered to remember every last one.

Someone should make a website feature where you type in what you're looking for and results are displayed.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I was sort of joking. I was aware of the Joker thread, I think I've even posted in it. I didn't assume it'd be a big deal, I see threads get derailed over similar matters all the time. Of course, now a one post derailment is closer to a half dozen.

hfontana

They usually say that an unhealthy personality overuses its dominant function to the point of a loss of control, uses its secondary function poorly, leans too much on its tertiary, and stares its inferior function (worst nightmare) in the face, right?

In that case then it would be overblown Ne which is just that- flitting from one thing to another and going out of control with indecision, talking excessively and incoherently.

Poor Ti would explain the bad Ne - the head is obviously disorganized and failing to control behavior.

Excessive Fe would be appealing to people and acceptable behavior instead of finding the right way of doing things.

Finally the inferior Si would be a resigned confinement to the bare minimum, "easy" tedium.

In any case, some of the dark things my mind is capable of in times of stress are:

Becoming disillusioned with my beliefs. Essentially throwing away beliefs and escaping into new ones.

Becoming argumentative with people. Also dealing with arguments within my own mind. The rigid Ti and perceptive Ne always sees a flaw in an argument, so if I have two ideas that totally contradict each other, its likely that I won't be able to simply come to peace without an answer.

Running from commitments. Ne looks at everything as an experiment, when running wild has a tendency to tear up current projects at the mere idea of a better one.

Poor social intuition. Supplanting Fe for Ti has the result I think of meshing the two, making a poor analyst and a poor salesperson. Ti should be the proper guide to behavior, with Fe only as a side measure.

The proximity of Ti and Fe invites a danger, which is that I convince myself I am liked or have the capacity to be liked more than I think. A strong thinking type is not really a natural social butterfly. I may be able to provide good social cues and read quickly into people's behaviors, that's not the same as consistently developing relationships with people, which is made poor by low Si (I often forget people's names and act differently around them over time). And as Fe is overused it also invites things like possible reciprocal relationships (whether in love, friendship or business) which end up biting me in the ass. Then the Fe is expected even more from others and becomes exhausted, which will cause me to lose control with the person, and inevitably making me feel unlikable. Even worse, I will from there begin to consider myself stupid. Why? The tertiary Fe is essentially developed from Ne and Ti, so when Fe fails, Ti also has to take the fall. Then Ne looks for a new situation to feel happier, but with worse Ti and Fe, leading to the same cycle again with an even higher chance of failure. This goes on until Ti has the patience to analyze the past, present and future, discover the underlying mechanism behind all of this, how life might be continued without falling into the same trap.

The difference between dominant, secondary and tertiary Fe is the following: Dominant Fe is compulsive. Secondary Fe is committed. Tertiary Fe is instrumental. So an ESFJ is friendly out of compulsion, out of early developed or innate character. An INFJ is typically ideologically committed to serving good. An ENTP is only able to use FE like a tool, it's neither a matter of their character nor ideological commitment.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
david icke the conspirologist is an unhealthy entp perhaps YouTube - the freedom road david icke 1 part 2

but atleast he has a fanclub :D
I thought he was a Ni-dom. His theories are very extensively developed around a single theme. I think both Ne and Ni doms can obsess over conspiracy based on speculation and intuition. There is something that feels different about Icke than Ne-dom conspiracy because of its exhaustive focus. I could be proven wrong though, because I haven't read him extensively. I have watched his videos and am familiar with his ideas. His vision of reality feels so internally constructed. There is usually a certain energy you get from a Ne-dom. Charles Manson feels extremely Ne-dom to me although I don't know if he is ENTP or ENFP. He is actually quite intelligent and moves between ideas with that agility that is part of Ne. Ni-dom conspiracy doesn't have as much of a game element to it. Ne and Ti combine into the consummate, improvisational gamer. Some Ni-Te can play a game, but it is more analyzed ahead of time with elaborate strategy.

I do think that Ne-doms have a kind of mental agility that is unique to that function. An unhealthy Ne-dom ENTP could make quite the game of convincing other people of anything. The world would be their oyster. Just for fun they could try out manipulating others into thinking anything and be convincing.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
If I'm an ENTP... some brief descriptions of when I've been unhealthy

- obsessing over past mistakes trying to get closure (Si inferior)
- acting impulsively and overindulging the imagination
- paranoia and conflicts with others